• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Be careful. Carbines are addictive. You get your first one (a Saginaw for example) and then you want an Inland, then a Winchester, then an IBM. Then you start to consider paying big bucks for an original M1A1 stock. Next you see an National Postal Meter at a show and have to bring it home....
    That roads looks familiar.
    Believe I've been on it, several times.
    Venture Surplus ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    That roads looks familiar.
    Believe I've been on it, several times.

rl96ss,

Having NUMEROUS "enablers" on the forum does NOT help us "addicts" either. = CHUCKLE.

Being addicted to buying double rifles & combination guns is as addictive as "dope" & may well be about as expensive.

yours, satx

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    pics or GTFO

Pretty sure I posted them already but I could use an excuse to do so again. ;)

20200426_130848_copy_983x498.jpg

Attachments

• 20200426_130848_copy_983x498.jpg
      20200426_130848_copy_983x498.jpg
      141.3 KB · Views: 401

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    zackmars,

May I suggest that you go read the comments of Naa'teh in post # 52 of this thread, who is one of the USA's greatest living heroes of the Korean War?
    (The Chief holds EVERY decoration for bravery in combat, except the MOH. -He was twice recommended for the MOH. - Once for destroying a Chinese T34 & once for destroying a NK machinegun emplacement, while wounded.)

The Chief told me in 2018 that the M1 & M2 carbines would NOT stop the fierce/stalwart warriors of North Korea or of Red China, even at pointblank range of 10-20 yards.
    ADDENDA: After Naa'teh returned to CONUS in late 1953 on convalescent leave (He had been WIA 5 times in one day in September 1953. = he is the only living person to have been awarded SEVEN PURPLE HEARTS.), he was assigned as a weapons instructor at Ft Bragg, NC.

Had the US Carbine been chambered in .401 WSL caliber (Winchester offered the cartridge to the USA for FREE), the carbine would be equal in stopping power to the 7.62x51NATO, in a much smaller case out to 150M.
    (In .401 caliber the M1/M2 carbine would have weighed FOUR OUNCES MORE than the .30 carbine.)

yours, satx

Audie Murphy seemed pretty happy with them.

The carbine is not a good host for full auto, it climbs like crazy, add it in a longer range fight like much of Korea was, gee, i wonder why it doesn't have the best reputation. All cartridges have envelopes, what makes, say, .30-06 great at longer range, means its less than optimal for close up. Same for .30 carbine. There is no free lunch.

Compared to a .45acp smg, .30 carbine is superior. It is easier to shoot at longer ranges, has superior terminal ballistics, weighs less...

We are not talking about the Garand here, so i am not sure why you bring it up.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Audie Murphy seemed pretty happy with them.

The carbine is not a good host for full auto, it climbs like crazy, add it in a longer range fight like much of Korea was, gee, i wonder why it doesn't have the best reputation. All cartridges have envelopes, what makes, say, .30-06 great at longer range, means its less than optimal for close up. Same for .30 carbine. There is no free lunch.

Compared to a .45acp smg, .30 carbine is superior. It is easier to shoot at longer ranges, has superior terminal ballistics, weighs less...

We are not talking about the Garand here, so i am not sure why you bring it up.

zackmars,

I brought up the Garand, as you likely understand, because of what my friend Naa'teh said after saying that the .30 carbine was "nearly worthless" & then "picked-up" a Garand to continue his fight against the Chinese.

yours, satx

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    zackmars,

I brought up the Garand, as you likely understand, because of what my friend Naa'teh said after saying that the .30 carbine was "nearly worthless" & then "picked-up" a Garand to continue his fight against the Chinese.

yours, satx

So wait, a poster asked about the m1/m2 carbine vs other SMG's of the era, and you bring up the Garand?

It has nothing to do with this conversation.

No one is comparing the carbine to the Garand, but we are comparing the carbine to the Thompson and M3.

And the Thompson and M3 are very much lacking

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    We all have stories....

A friend of mine who fought in Korea......carried an M1 carbine instead of a Garand.........said it saved his life more than once.....

It was lighter than a Garand and easier to carry while packing his flame thrower..........yes that was his primary mission.....a very humble, mild mannered man with balls of steel..........

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    This thread needs more pictures of M1 Carbines.
    6779DA46-F9E6-4739-BDB2-A57266BF8622.jpeg

Attachments

• 6779DA46-F9E6-4739-BDB2-A57266BF8622.jpeg
      6779DA46-F9E6-4739-BDB2-A57266BF8622.jpeg
      25.7 KB · Views: 516

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    When my dad was an Alabama State Trooper in the 60’s he was issued a M2. He liked it well enough but felt that it did not have enough “punch” for something fired off the shoulder.

It was fired indoors once ( full auto mag dump)at an illegal drinking establishment to great effect at a jukebox. Compliance was had and all patrons exited the establishment and went home( or at least went somewhere else)

Top Bottom