• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    oh M 1...wait, is the grease gun full auto?

Old_Sarge,

YEP. Full-Auto but only 450-500 RPM.

So slow a cyclic rate that many people can fire 2-shot groups.

NOTE: My father was ISSUED a grease gun by the USAAC. - He didn't like it & "accidently" dropped it out of the bomb-bay doors on a B-17 over a city in the Ruhr Valley. - Then he got himself a M1 TSMG, which he liked.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Old_Sarge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    South TX
    Old_Sarge,

NOTE: My father was ISSUED a grease gun by the USAAC. - He didn't like it & "accidently" dropped it out of the bomb-bay doors on a B-17 over a city in the Ruhr Valley. - Then he got himself a M1 TSMG, which he liked.

yours, satx
    awesome Dad lol

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    awesome Dad lol

Old-Sarge,

Personally, I PREFER the M1 TSMG (for shooting alone) to the Model 1928 or the M1A1.
    (The M1A1 is a "simplified" M1 & IMO is NOT as good of a firearm. = It was just CHEAPER to make.)

BTW, a GREASE GUN is VERY RARE among registered, i.e., LEGAL SMG, as FEW people wanted to pay the 200.oo tax on a "tin can".
    (I agree 100% with my dad on the GG. - I wouldn't have one but would happily buy a M1 TSMG IF they weren't so many $$$$$$$$.)

yours, satx

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Old_Sarge,

yours, satx
    While the Thompson is an iconic American weapon they are heavy & a bit harder to control. The thing about the M2 carbines are they were not originally designed for select fire. M3 Grease guns with their light weight & lower cyclic rate mage them much better to shoot IMHO.

Old_Sarge

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2020
    South TX
    Old-Sarge,

Personally, I PREFER the M1 TSMG (for shooting alone) to the Model 1928 or the M1A1.
    (The M1A1 is a "simplified" M1 & IMO is NOT as good of a firearm. = It was just CHEAPER to make.)

BTW, a GREASE GUN is VERY RARE among registered, i.e., LEGAL SMG, as FEW people wanted to pay the 200.oo tax on a "tin can".
    (I agree 100% with my dad on the GG. - I wouldn't have one but would happily buy a M1 TSMG IF they weren't so many $$$$$$$$.)

yours, satx
    I've only seen a grease gun once, at least that's what they called it.
    The mechanics had one, it was the only one in the arms room. I never got to shoot it. I held a semi auto commericial version Thompson before, shot a couple rounds.

I always like an M1 Garand in 30.06 just because "Murica, ya know?

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    While the Thompson is an iconic American weapon they are heavy & a bit harder to control. The thing about the M2 carbines are they were not originally designed for select fire. M3 Grease guns with their light weight & lower cyclic rate mage them much better to shoot IMHO.

IIRC, the M1 carbine was originally intended to be select fire, but WW2 kinda changed some priorities, and FA was dropped until late in the war

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    I understood that. An m1/m2 carbine is a far better fighting weapon than a Thompson or M3

zackmars,

May I suggest that you go read the comments of Naa'teh in post # 52 of this thread, who is one of the USA's greatest living heroes of the Korean War?
    (The Chief holds EVERY decoration for bravery in combat, except the MOH. -He was twice recommended for the MOH. - Once for destroying a Chinese T34 & once for destroying a NK machinegun emplacement, while wounded.)

The Chief told me in 2018 that the M1 & M2 carbines would NOT stop the fierce/stalwart warriors of North Korea or of Red China, even at pointblank range of 10-20 yards.
    ADDENDA: After Naa'teh returned to CONUS in late 1953 on convalescent leave (He had been WIA 5 times in one day in September 1953. = he is the only living person to have been awarded SEVEN PURPLE HEARTS.), he was assigned as a weapons instructor at Ft Bragg, NC.

Had the US Carbine been chambered in .401 WSL caliber (Winchester offered the cartridge to the USA for FREE), the carbine would be equal in stopping power to the 7.62x51NATO, in a much smaller case out to 150M.
    (In .401 caliber the M1/M2 carbine would have weighed FOUR OUNCES MORE than the .30 carbine.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

diesel1959

por vida
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2013
    Houston & BFE
    To All,

My dear friend, NAA'TEH, Principal Chief of the White Mountain Apache Nation & who holds EVERY US decoration for bravery except the MOH for his service as an NCO in the 173d ABN RGT during The Korean War (Naa'Teh also was decorated for bravery by Greece, Turkey, the UK, France, Canada & 2-4 other allied nations) told me in 2009 that, "I threw away my M1 carbine after our first defensive action against the CHICOMs & picked-up a Garand from a dead GI. (pause) I regard the .30 caliber carbine as NEARLY WORTHLESS beyond 50 yards as defensive weapon."

yours satx
    Yeah, well it's not meant for front-line troops. It was issued to Officers/NCOs and others who did not elect to carry something more potent. Yeah, some ABN troops jumped with them, but once engaged in the battle as a dogface, the M1 carbine was not the choice.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Yeah, well it's not meant for front-line troops. It was issued to Officers/NCOs and others who did not elect to carry something more potent. Yeah, some ABN troops jumped with them, but once engaged in the battle as a dogface, the M1 carbine was not the choice.

diesel1959,

Fyi, the Chief was a CPL when he arrived in Korea. 46 days later he was promoted to SGT & was retired as a MSG in July 1955 on disability, due to never having completely recovered from his numerous wounds.

When a combat soldier of that sort tells you that the .30 carbine is nearly worthless as a close combat weapon, smart people should probably listen to his advice..
    ADDENDA: You will note that he discovered how inadequate that the M1 carbine was "up close & personal", that he "picked up" a Garand.
    (I know of no GI who believes the Garand is inadequate as a firearm, though I once knew a senior SFC who habitually carried a BAR,W/O bipod, as a personal weapon when we were "way down yonder".)

Note: As I'm "no particular fan of" the M4/M16 & could carry any weapon that I chose, I "issued myself" an Ithaca Model 37 riot-gun & loaded it with 00 buck, as well as wearing a pair of BHP.

yours, satx

Last edited:

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    diesel1959,

Fyi, the Chief was a CPL when he arrived in Korea. 46 days later he was promoted to SGT & was retired as a MSG in July 1955 on disability, due to never having completely recovered from his numerous wounds.

When a combat soldier of that sort tells you that the .30 carbine is nearly worthless as a close combat weapon, smart people should probably listen to his advice..
    ADDENDA: You will note that he discovered how inadequate that the M1 carbine was "up close & personal", that he "picked up" a Garand.
    (I know of no GI who believes the Garand is inadequate as a firearm, though I once knew a senior SFC who habitually carried a BAR,W/O bipod, as a personal weapon when we were "way down yonder".)

Note: As I'm "no particular fan of" the M4/M16 & could carry any weapon that I chose, I "issued myself" an Ithaca Model 37 riot-gun & loaded it with 00 buck, as well as wearing a pair of BHP.

yours, satx
    diesel1959,

yours, satx
    Highway Exit Drift 02052020034915.jpg

Attachments

• Highway Exit Drift 02052020034915.jpg
      Highway Exit Drift 02052020034915.jpg
      81.3 KB · Views: 538

JHE1956

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2020
    Comfort, TX
    Be careful. Carbines are addictive. You get your first one (a Saginaw for example) and then you want an Inland, then a Winchester, then an IBM. Then you start to consider paying big bucks for an original M1A1 stock. Next you see an National Postal Meter at a show and have to bring it home....

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Be careful. Carbines are addictive. You get your first one (a Saginaw for example) and then you want an Inland, then a Winchester, then an IBM. Then you start to consider paying big bucks for an original M1A1 stock. Next you see an National Postal Meter at a show and have to bring it home....
    You sound like my buddy.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

JHE1956,

Understood. = My WEAKNESS is spending $$$$$$$$ on double rifles, combination guns, pre-WWII Colt revolvers & Remington Model 760 rifles/carbines.

yours, satx

Top Bottom