• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    TSRA keeps sending out notices to be patient, but this bill isn't moving. This is ridiculous and yet another reason I tend to not believe TSRA's sugar coated view of things.

If it doesn't get scheduled for this week we need to start a drive to ping Governor Perry himself. He seems to like meddling in everything else, maybe he can make himself useful here.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    TSRA keeps sending out notices to be patient, but this bill isn't moving. This is ridiculous and yet another reason I tend to not believe TSRA's sugar coated view of things.

If it doesn't get scheduled for this week we need to start a drive to ping Governor Perry himself. He seems to like meddling in everything else, maybe he can make himself useful here.

Just in case it wasn't obvious last session, you can't trust the TSRA.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    It is not on the agenda for April 11. The committee will be hearing testimony on bills listed.

Schedule Display

Those of you who get bent all out of shape at the TSRA and NRA bashing take notice. This is exactly why some of us are fed up with their BS. They prance around like they're some authority, acting like they got it all covered behind the scenes, but when it comes down to it they waste another opportunity.

I'm starting to see all the alert emails from Alice Tripp as nothing but propaganda. TSRA needs to take a back seat if they're not willing to fight. This is not the time to slow play our gun rights legislation. We need organizations who are willing to fight and challenge representative re-election efforts and seats.

Where's the email this week that says, "We were wrong about getting on the schedule. We need you guys to go after them on the phones, faxes and email."? Seriously, where's the TSRA alert? The email I got on 4/5 has one sentence crammed down at the bottom noting that HB700 doesn't have many sponsors. The 4/6 email from them doesn't mention it at all.

If I get another email from them telling us to be patient my head may explode. There's no time left to be patient.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The comments expressed as this thread grows is exactly what causes problems getting things moving. A lack of willingness to understand the process is not as simple as you'd like it to be.

Support them, don't bash them. Open carry is already seeing signs of resistance because of a the almost extremist uprising that does nothing but encourage opposition and deter law makers from taking it seriously. This is the first session where there is a good Open Carry bill. There are also a long list of other bills that most people would consider more important. But in the end, the right people are hearing the right feedback from us.

No one should be surprised that it's a particularly difficult session, but there are also a ton of other non related bills that are more critical in the big picture.

We need responsible support from all of us rather than ending up divided again.

Call and fax the Committee members for one thing. That gets better attention than email for them to hear a voice or hold it in their hands.

House Homeland Security & Public Safety Committee Members:

Rep. Joseph Pickett - Chairman
    Phone (512) 463-0596
    Email http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/me ... session=83
    Fax (512) 463-6504

Rep. Allen Fletcher - Vice-Chairman
    Phone (512) 463-0661
    Fax (512) 463-4130

Rep. Philip Cortez
    Phone (512) 463-0269
    Fax: (512) 463-1096

Rep. Tony Dale
    Phone (512) 463-0696
    Email: http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/me ... session=83
    Fax: (512) 463-9333

Rep. Dan Flynn
    Phone (512) 463-0880
    Fax (512) 463-2188

Rep. Tim Kleinschmidt
    Phone (512) 463-0682
    Fax: (512) 463-9955

Rep. George Lavender
    Phone (512) 463-0692
    Fax (512) 463-0902

Rep. Kenneth Sheets
    Phone (512) 463-0244
    Email: http://www.house.state.tx.us/members/me ... session=83
    Fax (512) 463-9967

Rep. Ron Simmons
    Phone (512) 463-0478
    Fax (512) 463-2089

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I agree on keeping it polite, but this is NOT the first time there's been a good OC bill. There was one last session as well, written by the same Rep and falling victim to the same stalling.

What other non-related bills are so critical to the Homeland Security Committee that they can't get this one a vote? I'm not being sarcastic I'm genuinely curious. The budget is passed, and that wasn't something this committee had to delve into in depth.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    The OC bill last session was horrible as amended and it was submitted last minute. It was submitted with a knife in it's it's heart. The BS the OC group started didn't help at all either. I say "group" knowing there was 1 person that seemed to be at the root of it.

It was submitted this session early, and poorly written again but not as intended by Lavender who has a committee substitute that fixes it. So this is the first session a good bill has any real chance, if anything has much chance this session. I think it will pass, but I doubt this session. But I'm not giving up hope.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    What other non-related bills are so critical to the Homeland Security Committee that they can't get this one a vote? I'm not being sarcastic I'm genuinely curious. The budget is passed, and that wasn't something this committee had to delve into in depth.

They have a 165 bills. It's getting them before the committee that's the challenge.

Texas Legislature Online - Report

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    If y'all aren't already following, you might find this interesting, and unfortunately not surprising.

If people put half the effort into making their voices heard respectfully, understanding that a committee member can't make a bill appear before them, there would be a lot more positive outcomes. If I sat on a committee and had people calling and emailing in this manner, regardless of the bill, I'd be hesitant to move on it or I'd wonder what or if they had other motives. Either way, that kind of ignorance is destructive so, hoping no one here is one of those people, congratulations in causing significant damage to it's future. Responsible Texan's like myself really appreciate the set back in regaining logical choice.

TexasCHLforum.com • View topic - Has bomb-throwing killed open-carry again?

And some light reading, especially for those that oppose OC.

https://www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/index.php/editorials/37-straight-talk-about-open-carry

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    They have a 165 bills. It's getting them before the committee that's the challenge.

Texas Legislature Online - Report

I know there's a bunch of bills. I asked if there were any that were more critical.

I have a hard time believing they wont bring up 972, 700 or others because they aren't sure about the wording. Its pure politics and ego of individual representatives.

Still, everyone needs to stay respectful.

Last edited:

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Where are you getting that it's because of wording? Whether it is or not, they have to get through as many of them as possible and not all will make it. If there is a bill they know is a problem, it won't get priority over others that have a better chance. That said, HB 700's committee substitute is supported as I understand it.

The fact is, out of 165 bills, every one is the most important to someone or some group. The ones that have the most support will likely get the higher priority. Just look at Pickets new FB page and see some of the attitudes posting about it. That doens't help, not to mention the majority, with their own words, demonstrate they have no clue what all is involved in the process. They are blinded by the notion they want to carry a handgun openly forgetting or ignoring everything else. I want that choice, but there are other issues I'd take in a heartbeat over OC. HB3218 is one.

I'm more concerned about who can carry, where we can carry, reducing the challenges to carry, than the method I carry. I want the choice in how I carry, but I'm much rather be less limited in where I carry. That said, I want them all to make it to the house floor for a vote!

Randy45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Austin
    It seems that they should already be aware of how important this is to their constituents since they have been receiving emails and letters and phone calls already....apparently they have already decided to let it die in committee and it doesn't matter how much pressure we put on them

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    It seems that they should already be aware of how important this is to their constituents since they have been receiving emails and letters and phone calls already....apparently they have already decided to let it die in committee and it doesn't matter how much pressure we put on them

Have you heard that from any of their offices, that they are being contacted about this bill? If you call and talk to anyone, you'll find they're not getting that many calls compared to other bills.

People aren't taking the productive action they should be, instead, as seen on Picketts FB page, more people are are sitting behind keyboards on social media and forums complaining. If we want something done, we have to do something. To many people would rather not be inconvenienced. It's a PITA but it's necessary.

Top Bottom