• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    If they would quit making honorable mention bills to pat themselves on the back they could actually get something done. Strauss always was a bad apple, but so are most from the big cities.They screwed up the gun laws in the 70s and still can't fix them.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    He sucks at listening to the public. I hope someone runs against him and wins. At this point Mickey Mouse would be better at the job.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I just picked this up off my FB feed. Soundl like it's now a dead issue.
    [h=5]From Lavender's office just now:

I regret to inform everyone who is following HB 700 that Rep. Joe Pickett will not bring this crucial and important piece of legislation up for a vote.

It is truly a sad time for supporters of the second amendment as well as CHL holders of Texas.

We appreciate all of the hard work and support.

Please take the time and voice your displeasure to Rep. Joe Pickett-(512) 463-0596 and Speaker Joe Straus-(512) 463-1000.[/h]

Where in the world did you copy that from? it's certainly not what is on his Facebook page. I also highly doubt he requested anyone to contact Pickett or Strauss. On April 9 he posted regarding the type of contact some supporters made to committee members and staff.

This is what he has on his Facebook page from today:

"Open Carry update. I was finally told today that Open Carry won't get a committee vote to move it out for a floor vote. I won't stop trying but it looks bad at this time. I'm very sorry. Thank you all for your support.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Where in the world did you copy that from? it's certainly not what is on his Facebook page. I also highly doubt he requested anyone to contact Pickett or Strauss. On April 9 he posted regarding the type of contact some supporters made to committee members and staff.

"Open Carry update. I was finally told today that Open Carry won't get a committee vote to move it out for a floor vote. I won't stop trying but it looks bad at this time. I'm very sorry. Thank you all for your support.

It was changed. I saw that original message as well.

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX

I got it from here https://www.facebook.com/groups/213617378731442/. I would believe, after looking at it again, that the bottom line was added by the poster. But all in all, I think it's pretty crappy for one guy to hold up an entire process just because he doesn't agree with it.

dallas229

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Plano
    Hi All

On April 15th I tried - I sent the message below to every State Representative - I have their email addresses and their staff email addresses as well. The day before I had sent a modified version to my CHL Instructor colleagues - the result was a few hundred phone calls - The lady who answered at Mr. Pickett's office did not sound happy when I asked about whether they had received any phone calls...

Anyway, here's my plea - I am told that it is possible to ask Calendars to make a request direct to Mr. Pickett - I don't know anything about Austin, I figure half the stuff I am doing is a waste but then who siad that one guy can't make an effort.

OK< so here's my plea to you - I would like to have email lists - lots of email lists - I have the ability to send email - a lot of email - what could be any worse that trying to generate some support from shooting groups, hunting groups, gun ranges, FFL's and people that are like-minded?

If you can help, mosey over to Rights For Texas Home Page - I am one guy and I put it together - now I am asking for help.

Regards

Michael

==================================================

Hi "Mail Merge Name Field"

By what stretch of the imagination would I ask Texas Legislators to make a personal call to release a bill from committee?

You don't know me from Adam. I only vote for a couple of you. And besides, you are busy folks - I get it. But still, if a Texas Citizen can't ask you to make a call, then who can (Oh yea, the lobbyist waiting in your reception area. Well, I am one guy and the best I can do is send some emails - today, I am only up to 2,000 but I expect to get better tomorrow. I won't be feeding my Granddaughter or changing her diapers - yep, Grand Dad is babysitting, trust me between her diapers and Texas politics, life couldn't be better.)

OK, so back to why ask you? First, it is a local call :-) And second I figure you are in a better position than some no-nothing, small-potatoes, Texas Citizen, and besides, who better than a colleague to request a release from committee?

You can probably figure that I am a Pro Second Amendment supporter. So, it is probably no great surprise that one of the Tea Party groups asked that I check into a couple of bills that seem to be stalled in the Committee for Homeland Security. The following is a result of my research and their "Heads Up."

It Looks Like The Texas House 'Leadership' Is Playing Games With Critical Gun Legislation

Here's what it comes down to:

Several Pro Second Amendment bills have received positive hearings from the Texas House Committee for Homeland Security and the committee itself is in favor of the bill - the current estimate is that the committee favors the bills at 7 for and 2 against.

The problem is, the Texas House 'leadership' seems to be 'gaming' these bills; either holding them as a favor to the minority Democrats, or possibly, using them to arm-twist conservatives to vote on things they otherwise wouldn't.

The legislation has had an impressive acceptance. Representative George Lavender originally introduced the bill, then Representatives' Paddie, White, Larson and Burkett demonstrated their support by becoming Authors of the Bill. Then another group demonstrated their support by becoming Co-Authors - Representatives' Bonnen, Bonnen, Capriglione, Fallon, Flynn, Gooden, Hughes, King, King, Krause, Laubenberg, Miller, Simmons and Thompson. The bottom-line is that 19 Representatives have declared their support by publicly adding their names to forever be tied to this legislation.

HB 700 completed Committee hearings on March 14th but seems to have become a trading chip being used by the Speaker Of The House, Joe Straus, Committee Chair Joseph Pickett and Committee Vice Chair Allen Fletcher. (For what it is worth: Fletcher's office has indicated support to release the bill and was receptive to hearing from bill supporters.)

In phone conversations with each of their offices, the past couple of afternoons, I learned that they have received hundreds of emails this past week - but their offices assign phone calls greater importance over emails - their thinking is that emails are too easy for people to make, whereas, phone calls are from a single person who is demonstrating his concern by using his time to make the call. OK, I get it...

Will you make 3 phone calls? Will you ask for HB 700 to be released from committee and for Calendars to put it up for a vote?

Speaker Of The House, Joe Straus (512) 463-1000 (Strauss needs to know a committee chair needs a nudge.)
    Homeland Security Chairman, Joseph Pickett (512) 463-0596 (Pickett holds the reins - Pickett needs to know his actions are being watched - simply ask for HB 700 to be moved out of Committee and placed on Calendars)
    Homeland Security Vice Chairman, Allen Fletcher (512) 463-0661 (Fletcher is Pro Second Amendment, he could use some support - just let him know you support his efforts to move this HB 700 out of committee.)
    Why is this so critical? Because after the House votes on the bill, the Senate will have to create and approve a bill of its own or accept the House bill as-is AND THERE ARE ONLY 50 DAYS FOR BOTH BODIES TO ACCOMPLISH THIS TASK - this task is easily doable if the "leadership' will stop gaming the system.

Remember, all you are asking for is that these bills come out of committee and be placed before 'Calendars' to put them up for a House vote. Our rights should NOT be subject to such political shenanigans.

Please make 3 phone calls and then forward this information to some of your like-minded friends. It is only 3 phone calls and that only took me 8 minutes - I'll bet you can do it in 6 minutes - I speak slowly.

So, a long story to a short question, "Will you make 3 phone calls today?"

Regards,

Michael Rxxxxxx

An Ordinary Texas Citizen
    A Pistol Instructor
    A Texas Concealed Handgun Instructor
    An NRA Life Member

Last edited:

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just got this, the standard canned reply...

Dear Mr. (Max),

Thank you for contacting the office of state representative Philip Cortez. As a member of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee, Rep. Cortez is interested in the input of all Texans on these bills that will come before the committee. We appreciate you taking the time to be part of the legislative process by providing your thoughts on HB 700.

Rep. Cortez will consider all constituent input when the bill Is put to a vote.

Sincerely,

Rachel Meche
    Policy Analyst
    Office of Rep. Philip Cortez
    (512) 463-0269

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    I helped a 3 term state representative friend of mine out sometimes during these sessions. It is sickening how some of it works, but I am still amazed how it all comes together in the end. You can not win every time.

Driller

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Just got this, the standard canned reply...

Same as the one I usually get.. Only different that now I am getting their response to me wider apart..

Dear Mr. fgarcia3441
    Thank you for contacting the office of state representative Philip Cortez. As a member of the Homeland Security and Public Safety Committee, Rep. Cortez is interested in the input of all Texans on these bills that will come before the committee. We appreciate you taking the time to be part of the legislative process by providing your thoughts on HB 972, HB 900 and HB 700. HB 972 has been voted out of committee and HB 700 remains pending. HB 900 was scheduled for a public hearing but was removed from the schedule by the author. Rep. Cortez will consider all constituent input when a vote on these bills is required. We appreciate you participating in the legislative process and encourage you to continue to do so.
    Sincerely,
    Thelma De Leon
    Chief of Staff
    Rep. Philip Cortez - District 117
    (512) 463-0269

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    It looks like Texas Gun Rights has put together a "Demand A Vote" event at the Capitol in Austin for May 13th. Here's a link to their Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/646591442022640/. I doubt that there is any hope of a vote this session, but I suppose a protest of sorts can't hurt.

Too bad we can't get it in the news that pickett is the one guy holding up this legislation for the entire state.

Richard B

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Unfortunately, it will be a pointless exercise in futility. The end of the legislative session is on or about May 27. Even if brought to a vote the following day, there would not be time for the bill to make its way through the process.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Too bad we can't get it in the news that pickett is the one guy holding up this legislation for the entire state.

When you consider the number of people that would be effected now by this bill, the media isn't real interested. Less than 600k would be impacted and I'd guess it's now where near half that are actually interested or care. It's a piece of legislation that is important to a very small part of the state yet has a lot of noise around it unfortunately.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    When you consider the number of people that would be effected now by this bill, the media isn't real interested. Less than 600k would be impacted and I'd guess it's now where near half that are actually interested or care.
    Interesting... So trying to baby step it backfired? Should have pushed for unlicensed open carry like LA, NM, and several other states have.

verge

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth
    Its bullshit that Strauss keeps getting re-elected as speaker. He knew exactly what would happen with Pickett.

It's BS that Strauss keeps getting re-elected to serve. Where are his constituents and why are they continuing to vote for this RINO? He should face a strong, conservative challenger in the primaries.

Top Bottom