• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Hmm, I actually have a Seal Pup knife already. I'll have to get it out and use it more often.

Also have an LMF II. Not what I'm looking for, that knife isn't a "personal" knife, it's a camp axe alternative. Lighter and easier to pack than a hatchet, does the same stuff. I'm mostly looking for something to fill the void between my SOG Trident locker and the LMF II chopper.

Good suggestions in the thread! Really thinking about one of those ESEE knives, they're not as pricey as I thought they would be.

@Stumpy: Which Benchmande? Looking for specific suggestions.

It's less than 5.5", but wouldn't it be considered a "bowie" knife?

I say if you want to carry a decent knife in TX, you should get your CHL even if you don't want to carry a gun. Just carry a little mini .22 revolver along with your hand sword

Haha, no. I see a knife as a weapon of last resort, I use my pocket knife all the time, though. I just would like to have something sturdier as an option.
    Capitol Armory ad

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    Have you considered the Mora knives? They're inexpensive and reliable.
    Mora1.jpg

cabledad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Pottsboro,Texas
    The next knife I buy will be a McCroskey knife out of Oklahoma I read the website and did't believe that a knife would come out of the package so sharp,cut the print off a walmart cash register ticket.Last through deer season with out resharpening.I thought this is just sales manship (BS). Then one of the hog hunters said its all true that the knives are as good as there website said.When I get a chance I am going up there and get my hands on one.About $200 custom made to fit your hand.Chuck

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Have you considered the Mora knives? They're inexpensive and reliable.
    View attachment 10314

I've heard about them and that they make good all-around knives, but forgot about them. One of those should fit the bill! Where do I get a decent one? I ordered three or four a few years ago, but they were cheap stamped steel blades that I don't trust (damn you, Frosts!).

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

TXRanchMedic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2009
    Bosque County
    I've heard about them and that they make good all-around knives, but forgot about them. One of those should fit the bill! Where do I get a decent one? I ordered three or four a few years ago, but they were cheap stamped steel blades that I don't trust (damn you, Frosts!).
    Mora Knives

Smokey Mountain Knife Works is cheaper than traditionalwoodworker by a few bucks. Mine were red handled which were way cheaper than the unfinished ones that SMKW also offers. Mine are not Frost. They're marked "E.Jonsson Mora Sweden" on both blades. They even make ones with half and full guards which are both on my Christmas list.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Mora Knives

Smokey Mountain Knife Works is cheaper than traditionalwoodworker by a few bucks. Mine were red handled which were way cheaper than the unfinished ones that SMKW also offers. Mine are not Frost. They're marked "E.Jonsson Mora Sweden" on both blades. They even make ones with half and full guards which are both on my Christmas list.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.co...el-Blade-Made-in-Sweden/productinfo/100-2581/

Hmm, this is the exact same knife I got, but mine is stamped with the Frosts logo and "MORA SWEDEN" above "KOLSTAL * HIGH CARBON" on the blade. Same exact blade profile, sheath and handle molding. Totally identical on those last two points for sure (even the parting lines on the sheath are exactly the same). I'll have to see how sturdy one is, I think I still have two of them floating around the house. They take an edge like a mofo (I got the living crap cut out of me when I had to take one of these away from my ex one night - don't ask), but I'm not sure how well a stamped sheet metal blade is going to hold an edge or how sturdy it'll prove.

Guess I have to go find out, huh? :D

At this point, though, I really think I'm going to go with an ESEE, but I might go with a 4 instead of a 3.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    What exactly is bad about 1095?

Brittle at high hardness. At this level of brittleness, you could go to a stainless steel. They make a knife I like with a 5.5 inch blade but at that length they had to go to 1/4 inch thickness, which is ridiculous.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Alright, I think I decided. I'll just take my SEAL Pup Elite along. Why buy new when you've got something that will fit the bill, right?

I almost forgot I had that knife in the closet.

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    Brittle at high hardness. At this level of brittleness, you could go to a stainless steel. They make a knife I like with a 5.5 inch blade but at that length they had to go to 1/4 inch thickness, which is ridiculous.

So brittle that to prove a point I put my RAT3 (ESEE 3) in a bench vise and flexed the blade to 60 degrees and it returned to true... (sarcasm dripping). There is a video on the web of a similar test as well....

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    So brittle that to prove a point I put my RAT3 (ESEE 3) in a bench vise and flexed the blade to 60 degrees and it returned to true... (sarcasm dripping). There is a video on the web of a similar test as well....

I've not tried that, but I like a thick blade. A working knife should be able to chop/hack. You need some weight to do that. Although it's not so heavy it will pull you pants down. If I was caught out in the wilderness with an ESEE, I wouldn't fret about the capabilities of the knife. Maybe my survival skills, but I think the knife would hold up pretty well. And we all know there are plenty of other brands, Fallknvien et al that can do that service, and we all have our favorites.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

I hadn't looked at the Rockwell C... 57 is pretty hard for a 10 series, you're right.

I have no idea what it's hardened to, but my Gerber LMF II is a pretty damn tough knife and it's 1095. I've split more than a few seasoned oak logs for the fireplace... But that's a backpack knife (since it's our group's hatchet.)

Top Bottom