Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    First, you must know where they are coming in. When you get them out of the attic (by whatever method), you must close the entrance they've been using. If not, the problem just starts again.

As for how to get rid of them, I know a method that works on squirrels. It might be worth a try for other pests. Order up some Red Fox Urine from Cabelas or someplace else that sells hunting scents. A few drops (literally, just 4 or 5) around the opening where your ladder goes up into the attic does the trick for squirrels. They hightail it out of the attic within a day, running from the predator that has invaded their space. Squirrels aren't brave enough to come back anytime soon, so I generally wait until a couple of days have passed with no noise from the attic to fix the hole in the eaves (or whatever).

Whether or not coons will be as scared, I can't say. If you try this method, please post back. I'd like to know if it'll work.
    ARJ Defense ad

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I did do this (sorry I did not mention it, lol).
    I "think" they left right away, but then came back the next day as I had not fixed the hole yet.
    I put more up there & have not heard them since.

I bought urine from Academy, put a few drops on tennis balls & then threw them where I "thought" the animals were.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    #220-2 conibear bucket setup.

conibear-bucket-pipe.jpg

full-12019-84403-img_20111127_092310.jpg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I'd practice my snare techniques. Go by the feed store and buy a few cable snares. Live traps are too easy. learn some outdoor skills on their little butts.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Got one earlier this week, and security camera showed another one 3 times as big last night (also a skunk, which I'd really like to avoid). We're having good luck with canned cat food and marshmallows.

a5yhe2yh.jpg

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    I've found dachshund to be kind of gamey unless you brine it.

Oh wait, you don't mean great SERVED with this kind of stuff. Sorry.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I bought a home that had been empty for some time. It had most of the outdoors living in the attic. When we brought home our Hybrid Wolf, the change was quick. Just having the animal in the house caused every crawling critter to decide to move elsewhere. The coons and squirrels, everybody moved out. Then I could seal the openings. The Wolf named Shadow Dancer lived about 10 years. She was the most loving, and loyal pet ever. Hated men in general, except me. She weighed 126 lbs. Grey Timber wolf. She was enough wolf that she had the musk glands in her chest and we were told that's why the other animals moved on. Was able to rid the house of everything but the beehive in the attic. She attacked a guy that came in and hit my wife by vaulting the dining room table into his chest. Yet the wife also took her to meet gang kids she counseled, where she would humble herself and allow them to pet her. This animal loved kids. One thing, when she shed in the spring it would carpet the backyard. Consider a wolf (Hybrid of course)

Chinookman

Two-burning-Six a-turning
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2013
    Republic of TEXAS near Victoria
    yah know ah like the skunk scent yep call me weird.....may have to axe yuss guys one day if yah ever trap one.....think about it few drops on boots during a hunt and they never smell the polo after shave........heh...heh.......

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I thought I could take them a little ways away & they would not come back, but they will return to where they stay if within a 5 mile or more radius.

It's been a while since I saw the special, but it was very interesting, they caught several & put tracking collars on them.
    They pretty much kept a routine & went to all the same places all the time.
    Very smart & able to get in to almost ANY place they want to bad enough, lol....

My wifes dad was killing them until the city found out and said he couldn't do that. So he started spray painting them whenever he caught them to figure out if they were coming back or not...

Top Bottom