Help with a gun choice

Discussion in 'General Firearms & Ammo' started by Towerboss, Nov 2, 2008.

1. Towerboss

Towerboss New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    To anyone ...

1. Sig P229 9mm
    2. XD9 3in
    3. Glock G17, G19, or G26

I am prior military with experience only with the M16. I'd like a nice home defense/concealed carry gun. I like the XD but I don't know anyone that has one, and plenty of folks have told me how much they love their Glock. I need an idea of one that would serve me well for both applications, these are the three I like.

Any other recommendations are good too!

One more note: I have two (2) small kids 4yo and 2yo and would like some advice on keeping the guns out of my ankle bitters hands but easily accessible too. I was thinking of one of the new biometrics handgun safes but I don't know anyone with one. How well the work, etc..

I'm in the Spring area near Carters but was thinking of taking a basic class and my CHL class at Double Action CHL unless someone can recommend something better.

Thanks,

TB :cool:

2. Leper

Leper Active Member

Sep 28, 2008
    A few things:

Welcome to the site!

You should test fire several pistols to see which one you like the best.

I love my XD.

You can find push button combination safes for under a hundred bucks, all day long. They can be put in a closet or mounted somewhere.

3. DirtyD

DirtyD Well-Known

Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I would stay away from the biometrics, I have heard mixed reviews of them. Shoot me a PM, I dont live too far from you and would be happy to assist with the other options....

4. rodbender

rodbender Active Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Elgin, Texas
    I raised 2 kids with a houseful of loaded guns. The key to keep them away is not make them taboo. If they want to hold them, clear it and let them hold it while at the same time watching and showing them the safety aspects. When they get old enough, if they want to shoot them, take them out and let them shoot them. You must not make them accessible of course but don't deny them to hold or shoot them. If you make it forbidden they will search them out when no one is around to see what the big mystery is.:2cents: Mine never went in search of my guns, they knew where they were, and they knew that they were not forbidden as long as me or their mother was around. They were locked up anyway.

5. Furyataurus

Furyataurus Active Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Helotes,TX
    I'd get the Sig. It might be more expensive but if you do get it and don't really like it you can get more for it from the trade than the other two. I tend to work in the opposite direction, I like to get the best first then try other's. Don't forget to look at FNP 9/40/45 line as well. I love my FNP40 and so far she's keeping pace with my HK!!! As for the kids, I'll leave that to rodbender!!!:lolz:

6. jfrey

jfrey Active Member

Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    The SIG is obviously the most expensive and probably the best of the group. That said, I personally would get the Glock 19. They are very concealable and light to carry. The G26 can get a little hard to handle with +P rounds. The 19 is also smaller and than the 17 and easier for women and people with smaller hands to shoot. As far as I know, no one has yet devised a test to tear one up. The Glocks will shoot lubed, dry, dirty, clean or in just about any condition one finds it in. You can get one at a local Academy for $499.00 if they have one in stock. As a good all around pistol for most everything, I would get the Glock.

7. Towerboss

Towerboss New Member

Nov 2, 2008
    Spring, TX
    Thanks everyone, keep the ideas coming. I love the idea of the SIG but like yall are saying it is a bit on the pricey side.

DirtyD check your PM's.

TB

8. Eastex

Eastex New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Rusk County
    I have the XD9SC, and it was a great CC weapon. Unfortunately, my wife liked it too, and took it as her own. The thing I liked about the XD over the Glock, was the grip safety besides the trigger safety alone. Nothing against the Glock, good weapon, but when sliding the pistol into my IWB holster, the double safety made me more comfortable.

I never had problems with loaded guns around my kids or grandkids. I educated them, but also never left firearms laying around. Actually, I'm more concerned when they bring idiot friends over that haven't been taught.

9. fm2

fm2 Event Coordinator

Apr 27, 2008
    The G19 is hard to beat for a carry gun/house gun. They are reliable and durable. The heat-sweat-dry cycle that carry guns go through should be considered as a factor.

10. JKTex

JKTex Well-Known

Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    First and foremost, handle each gun; shoot them if you can.

I changed my direction in a hurry, once I handled what I thought would be the perfect thing for me.

I've got a small safe that works great and isn't that bad. Last time I was in Carters (on I-10) I think I saw this same safe on their shelf, or one very close to it.

It's called Secure Vault by Boyt. I picked one up on eBay even cheaper. About $40 I think. Thgis is the only picture I have of it, but it holds a Kimber Pro and Compact with a couple of extra mags each. You set your own 5 digit code for the 4 buttons, it has a 9 volt battery jump on the side in case the batteries die and it's also keyed as an override.

Attached Files: