• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I get that some folks don't care/need to identify WHO they're shooting at (they live alone, or its just them and their spouse, etc.)

But shouldn't we ALL be identifying WHERE we're shooting these threats?!?!

Flick the light on and it's no problem.

Make Peace.
    Hurley's Gold

Tacticalmurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2016
    Wait so you are against a light on your wepon because it gives them a target but you are ok with turning on the room light?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I can't be the only person that knows their house ten ways to Sunday. Knows the pattern of people within it. Understands, they understand. The house is in under firearm protection.

I can hear my dog fart in the middle of the night. And the location as well.

A firearm is serious business. You guys are worrying me at your confidence to identify a target within your own home.

It's like you guys are reading too much Fox news. Statistical irrelevant crap about some idiot shooting his own kid coming through a window.

You guys may not have faith in the American citizen. I do. You don't need a light for a variety of reasons.

GHG.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Every modern advantage that's been around for a decade. It's use needs to be questioned to what counter measures have occured.

Identification of your target is a good thing. To defend yourself, take the opposite mind. The mind of those who'd seek to basically hunt you. In your own home.

What would they do. To counter what you do.

Take a minute and think. How would a person defeat a light and how to use it as an advantage? Once you see the weakness in such a device. It's easy to see how unneeded it really is.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Some make the same argument against lasers......

Lasers are a deterrent on a stationary target. It's a mind game seeing the red dots. Reassured destruction if the proper actions are not followed.

Some folks actually use it for aiming. Praise to them.

Some law enforcement techniques don't translate well to self protection.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Really, just turn the lights on? After all that BS about not using a light?

You know what, let's look and see what the experts say.

https://www.policeone.com/SWAT/arti...-flashlight-use-in-low-light-SWAT-operations/

Regardless of which study you believe, the majority of officer-involved shootings occur in low-light or no-light conditions. These conditions also contributed to the majority of mistake-of-fact shootings where officers believed that the individuals engaged were armed, when in fact they were not.

When clearing structures, instead of turning the lights on, turn them off to control backlighting and manipulate the environment at your discretion by activating your flashlight when applicable. Basic applications for using our flashlights are: searching, navigating, communicating, controlling, and threat identification.

using the light in a strobe affect, at random intervals, not only presents a harder target to hit, but also confuses an adversary relative to our exact location.

While navigating, we use the light to paint a path to our next destination. Light and look to determine your route and to ensure your next location is not already occupied, then go dark and move to it. By doing so, you stay one step ahead of where your adversary thinks you are and you add to their confusion on your rate of progress.

This application is probably one of the most beneficial because it acts as a force multiplier. Once you have located the suspect and determined this is not an immediate deadly force encounter, direct all available light at the suspect’s eyes. The affect on the suspect is immediate and somewhat incapacitating. From the suspect’s viewpoint, they only see an intense bright light surrounded by a dark abyss. With the light remaining locked on the suspect’s eyes, they are now vulnerable to a host of tactical options.

Because we are law enforcement officers it is not only our duty, but necessity to make every effort possible to identify threats quickly and accurately. As previously stated; low-light conditions attribute more to mistake of fact shootings than any other single variable. The ability to distinguish if a suspect is armed, to facilitate movement, to distract, confuse and incapacitate make the flashlight indispensible to our profession. The flashlight is an officer’s first line of defense in low-light tactical encounters.

It also states that having the gun out to the side, away from your body is a good tactical move.

http://www.policemag.com/blog/patrol-tactics/story/2012/05/hand-held-vs-weapon-mounted-lights.aspx

A tactical light should produce at least 60 lumens. A lumen, which is shorthand for luminous flux, measures the total output of a light source. The older candlepower ratings measured only a single spot of light at the hottest spot in the beam.

A gun-mounted light may be a great aid to shooting in the dark, but it comes with liability issues as well. It's next to impossible to manage a hand-held light and a long gun at the same time. All my tactical shotguns and black rifles have dedicated lights on them, because we must positively identify our target before pulling the trigger.
    "The gun-mounted light enhances an officer's ability to identify and engage a target if the officer has justification to have their gun drawn in the first place," said John Meyer of TeamOne Network.
    You shouldn't view a gun-mounted light as an illumination tool; consider it to be part of the weapons system. I've often seen officers draw their gun to use the light attached to it when it was inappropriate to have their gun out.

Let's now answer the question—hand-held or weapon-mounted light? The answer is that you need both. Carry a primary and a secondary hand-held light in addition to the lights on your handgun and long gun. I'm a firm believer in the theory, "Two is one, and one is none."

And lastly, be sure to practice, practice, and practice some more. Most shootings occur in low light, yet how often do we practice in low light? This practice needs to be two-fold. First, you need to find a range where you can get in regular low-light shooting sessions. Secondly, your practice should involve force-on-force exercises. They're the only way to learn what really works.

http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=2295

Now, the tactical requirements. The bulk of the tactical need for a flashlight will not, of course, involve shooting an offender who is presenting an imminent threat. Instead, a short list of tactical requirements might be threat discrimination, i.e., “Is that a person, and, if so, is he a threat to me?” White light permits subject identification and better discrimination of “threat / not threat” regarding subject behavior and weapon status. Other needs include facilitating compliance. Anonymity afforded by darkness instantly evaporates in the middle of a police flashlight beam. This often temporarily creates compliance and an opportunity to discern subject identification, intent, and activities.

The use of the flashlight to create voluntary compliance (herding) with orders is common. Contacting a subject from distance and controlling that subject’s movement or actions with light and voice commands permits the officer to deny access, inhibit criminal or aggressive behavior, or provide directional control for egress or ingress of a specific area. Shining a flashlight into an open door will generally set an artificial barrier, denying that doorway to a suspect who wishes to remain hidden from police, and “pinning” that subject in place. The offender assumes that if a light is shining through the opening, an officer on the other end of the flashlight is inevitably watching the doorway. Especially consider search operations. The average patrol officer typically has many more hours of experience in actually searching buildings and conducting area searches than any SWAT team. These searches are generally undertaken in diminished and no-light conditions. While the majority result is simply clearing the structure, officers will occasionally confront, detain, and arrest a subject who has been located during the search.

Light is also used for temporary sight disruption and distraction. The use of white light to overwhelm a possibly threatening subject’s vision is a very valuable tool. If the situation permits, the sudden shining of a flashlight (generally 60 or more lumens is considered to be sufficient for “tactical flashlights”) into an imminent threat’s eyes disrupts his vision, creating a temporary blinding effect that can prevent the effective targeting of the officer by the suspect. This is not limited only to shooting situations. Cutting-edge defensive tactics doctrine teaches the use of temporary sight disruption during suspect contact to facilitate takedowns and other force responses more safely.

Finally, the light is used when responding with deadly force to an imminent threat in conditions of diminished or adverse light. This has not been an exhaustive list, but it is intended as a starting point for the evaluation of equipping patrol officers with the WML. At present, there are two solutions to these lighting needs: handheld flashlights or WMLs. Both have shortcomings and strengths, which must be examined.

A weapon mounted light, or even a handheld light is in fact an offensive weapon, and it's a very effective one at that.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Lasers are a deterrent on a stationary target. It's a mind game seeing the red dots. Reassured destruction if the proper actions are not followed.

Some folks actually use it for aiming. Praise to them.

Some law enforcement techniques don't translate well to self protection.

Unless your pointing that red dot right at their eyes (which is a tactically bad decision since it would take very little movement on either person's part to get off target. Center of mass is where you should be aimed), they're not going to see it unless they look down at their shirt.

Tacticalmurse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2016
    Let's add to the discussion. Who has a weapon mounted light on their carry gun and who carries a flashlight? Let me know what kind as well please.

PB&J

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2016
    Who has a weapon mounted light on their carry gun and who carries a flashlight? Let me know what kind as well please.

G19 with X300 - carry gun, nightstand gun, etc.

AR with Surefire G2 (old model) with Surefire KX4 LED head, Surefire Z48 tailcap, Surefire FM70 red filter, and Surefire mount.

Scattered around the house and in the vehicles are various flashlights: C2 Centurion with KX4 and Z48, G2 with KX4 and Z48, Streamlight ProTac 1AA and 2AA.

If I carry a light in my pocket it's generally one of the ProTac models.

And I have night lights scattered throughout the house.

Light technology has (obviously) left me behind since I quit paying attention, but what I have works for me.

jeepinbanditrider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Let's add to the discussion. Who has a weapon mounted light on their carry gun and who carries a flashlight? Let me know what kind as well please.

GLOCK 17 with TLR-1.

I do pocket carry a small 1xAA powered flashlight. It's for mostly admin uses though.

Edit-The ARs are sporting TLR-1HPs. They can throw a beam 300+ yards easy. Little overkill indoors but gets the job done.

Last edited:

ussoldier1984

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2016
    DFW area
    Still reading all the posts but I use a surefire mini scout m300. Yes its expensive I got mine for 200 dollars or somewhere around that but its bright as f**k 50 yards away I can light up my neighbors house. No it does not have the strobe feature but the monetary switch if you tap it with your finger you can disorientate someone and easily identify your target when switched on as well as blind them.

Top Bottom