APOD Firearms

Home Defense Gun - Sig P320 Full Size vs Ruger GP100?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    In a tiny apartment you have the very real aspect of any misses potentially hitting your neighbors.

I am living in an apartment 4 nights a week because of my job and I went with a Mossberg Shockwave with the Aguila mini buckshot( you need to install a $17 adapter that takes about 3 seconds to install to let the gun feed the mini shells)

8+1 buckshot in a package that goes in and out of the apartment in a backpack.

Also have my G19 with me for EDC.
    Venture Surplus ad

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    I agree with Hoji. You've already got a pistol that holds 13 rounds (12+1) and has night sights. The P320 is an incremental upgrade at best. But it's another pistol that you have to practice with so now you're dividing your range time between two pistols instead of focusing on getting really good with one.

Hoji already laid out the advantages of the shotgun. Besides the fact that it is a very, very effective home defense weapon, being able to select ammo to avoid over-penetration is a huge benefit.

Remember that you are responsible for all ammo fired, regardless of where it winds up. Also realize that if you wake up and someone is in your apartment, you're going to be in panic mode and the adrenaline is going to be flowing. The normal tendency if you have 17 rounds available is to spray and pray. Every miss is going to wind up somewhere and it won't be in your apartment.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for the input and encouragement for school! Do you remember where she went to pharmacy school?
    2 years Arkansas Tech at Russelville and graduated University of Arkansas Medical School of Sciences Pharmacy at Little Rock. UAMS. Graduated slightly less than two years ago. Already making around 130 k a year at the Wally World store at some hick town a short drive from her house. Hang in there and you can be a rich gun nut in a few years. lol
    PS she got a lot of real life training cause she worked for local pharmacies on the side while going to school.

Last edited:

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    I agree with Hoji. You've already got a pistol that holds 13 rounds (12+1) and has night sights. The P320 is an incremental upgrade at best. But it's another pistol that you have to practice with so now you're dividing your range time between two pistols instead of focusing on getting really good with one.

Hoji already laid out the advantages of the shotgun. Besides the fact that it is a very, very effective home defense weapon, being able to select ammo to avoid over-penetration is a huge benefit.

Remember that you are responsible for all ammo fired, regardless of where it winds up. Also realize that if you wake up and someone is in your apartment, you're going to be in panic mode and the adrenaline is going to be flowing. The normal tendency if you have 17 rounds available is to spray and pray. Every miss is going to wind up somewhere and it won't be in your apartment.
    Dittos. A pump shotgun loaded with birdshot is what the doctor would prescribe in this scenario.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The odds of you needing 17 rounds is incredibly small.

Pick a handgun in an effective caliber that you shoot well.

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    The chances of getting hit by a meteorite is real slim.lol. I would advise the young student to also invest in Pepper Spray. It’s s lot less paperwork to squirt a pesky hippy in the eyes with that than to pop a cap. I betcha.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The odds of needing seat belts, fire extinguishers, or a parachute are extremely small as well...

The odds of needing a seat belt are far higher than using more than 2-3 rounds in a civilian encounter.

But then, hey, why stop at 17. Why not carry something with a 50 round capacity, following that logic?

Gilbertc13

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 27, 2018
    Katy
    I’d rather have 17 than 6. Remember it’s better to have and not need than need and not have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    East Texas
    My vote goes for the P320 as well. Police trade-ins can be had for less than $400. Chances are pretty good that it'll have night sights with plenty of life left in the tritium.

But I see no problem with buying BOTH.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I have all three guns you mention. All three are excellent. A GP-100 sits next to my bed. That wheel-gun gets attention, and that might mean that you could avoid pulling the trigger.

Top Bottom