Capitol Armory ad

Home Defense Gun - Sig P320 Full Size vs Ruger GP100?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • parmesan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2018
    Holly Lake Ranch, TX
    Hoji already laid out the advantages of the shotgun. Besides the fact that it is a very, very effective home defense weapon, being able to select ammo to avoid over-penetration is a huge benefit.
    What he said...,
    Remember where you are.., Austin. Don't think your neighbors will appreciate any of your over-penetration, so to speak. They probably won't care for you, anyway. Whatever you do or choose, I'd keep it on the down-low.

Mad John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Hey everyone,

I am new to the forums and had a question for y'all. I am moving to Austin this summer to start pharmacy school at University of Texas and wanted to have a larger handgun to stay in a quick access safe near my nightstand of downtown austin. I currently own a Sig p365 as my edc and will most likely have that on me whenever I go out and am on campus.

I like the Sig P320 modular system and would probably get the night sight model and buy a flashlight for the rail. I have small hands so I would probably get the small grip module for full size version. Might even upgrade to the apex flat trigger that is popular for these guns. I also like that it has 17 rounds in magazine, and option to add the Sig Romeo1 red dot in future. Basically would be a big brother to my current conceal carry and just be for home defense and range. Biggest benefits I see are familarity to my edc, bigger round count, and ability to add a flashlight. I typically use the 147 grain 9mm rounds in my P365 and would probably load up the same in the P320.

For the Ruger GP100 I have shot many times with my uncle who owns one. They are built like tanks and handle 357 and 38 specials very well. They seem to be very accurate, especially in single action. I would probably purchase the 4.2 in barrel model of the regular gp100 or the match champion model with the polished trigger and such. The benefits I see to this is the a dual purpose for home defense, a great hiking/camping handgun, and likely a longer shelf life of a revolver that could work for many decades. Also the increased stopping power might a plus but I heard that the right 38+ P rounds might be preferred if firing in a small apartment because of possibility of momentarily going blind and deaf if shooting 357 mags in small enclosed room by its large blast and concussion. So in this sense I might use 38+P for home defense and 357 mag for outdoor hiking/camping/hunting.

The Sig P320 full size and Ruger GP100 I can find online both around $580. I could buy the more polished Ruger gp100 match champion around $680 and obviously add upgraded trigger ($50) and flashlight ($100) to the Sig P320. I'd probably spend upwards of $700 regardless of what path I take.

Any thoughts, opinions, or personal experiences to help me make a decision would be greatly appreciated!!
    There are many aspects to home defense including the proper gun.
    Is it just you or with your wife or are children involved?
    Where are he other family members located in case of any event or time?
    Training is imperative for all involved and their given response to each.
    Defensive positions, seclusion opportunities?
    Offensive strategy should it be needed and how to act.
    Same with defensive posture or combinations of both.
    Stress... stress... stress... even with experience it plays an important factor!
    Choice of weapon, too small, too powerful. capabilities of what you may want versus practicality.
    There are many things that can happen fast but you always have time to THINK! Thinking is fast and training makes your life saving actions happen.
    I have no children, just the missus and I and we both are veterans with firearms experience. We still do whole house drills and positioning variations. We both prefer shotguns for in house protection. There are several located in strategic locations on each floor. Military trench guns, pump action short barreled cylinder bored 12 gauge. For hand guns we both prefer .45 autos.
    All the rest is Practice and over again. John

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The chances of getting hit by a meteorite is real slim.lol. I would advise the young student to also invest in Pepper Spray. It’s s lot less paperwork to squirt a pesky hippy in the eyes with that than to pop a cap. I betcha.
    And judging from my most recent visit to Austin, there are an abundance of pesky hippies!

bigwheel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2018
    Fort Worth
    The population of Austin got out of whack and overpopulated by pesky hippies when the Cedar Hackers moved to Bastrop.

brianb121

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2019
    Seguin
    Guys I ended up pulling the trigger on a Mossberg Shockwave 12 gauge. Mostly because, like some of you mentioned, I already have the p365, and the aguila mini shells seem to be very effective for home defense by adding capacity and limiting collateral damage in tight spaces. I think the latter is very important since I’ll be living in student apartments with thin walls! I also ordered the Opsol Mini Clip adapter for it.

Also I love the fact that you get a lot of gun for only $299! I simply could not resist that price and all the great reviews I kept reading online about these things. I’ll probalby add a flashlight to it down the road. Now just to think of a way to safety store it when I’m not home but still giving me quick access when I am at the apartment... any suggestions? Guests who come over to my apartment will have to walk through bedroom to use the bathroom.

Last edited:

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Guys I ended up pulling the tigger on a Mossberg Shockwave 12 gauge. Mostly because, like some of you mentioned, I already have the p365, and the aguila mini shells seem to be very effective for home defense by adding capacity and limiting collateral damage in tight spaces. I think the latter is very important since I’ll be living in student apartments with thin walls! I also ordered the Opsol Mini Clip adapter for it.

Also I love the fact that you get a lot of gun for only $299! I simply could not resist that price and all the great reviews I kept reading online about these things. I’ll probalby adds a flashlight to it down the road. Now just to think of a way to safety store it when I’m not home but still giving me quick access when I am at the apartment...

I looked online for local shops that sell these types of mini shells and only saw sports academy but they are nearly $20 a box there. Has anyone else found these shells in other sporting outlets more so around $15 a box?

Tigger_pose_.jpg

Attachments

• Tigger_pose_.jpg
      Tigger_pose_.jpg
      34.4 KB · Views: 545
    Top Bottom