• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigmar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Arlington Tx
    Apparently you didn't read my post, nowhere in it did I advise anyone to clear there home I said I would. So before you go lecturing me you should work on your reading comprehension.

Believe he started out with "No offense intended." Since you want to come across as a hard ass perhaps if you spelled correctly we could comprehend. lol Outside of that thanks for your service

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1368315523.983795.jpg

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Thanks for the info, Rem. I'll be looking into this maker shortly.

I have no objection to setup and config challenges. The ones that scare me away are the reports that "they worked for a month, then one by one started failing." A couple of pluses to what you have: They will mount under eaves. Some cameras are wall mount only. Another advantage is that they record on a PC instead of a separate DVR. The remote zoom is nice, too, as is the audio.

One more question. Do you need a static IP address on your Internet connection for remote viewing? I've seen some that do, and that's significant with ATT Uverse here. Monthly charge plus big $$ installation.

Thanks again.

Sent using Tapatalk...so please excuse the typos!

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    Thanks for the info, Rem. I'll be looking into this maker shortly.

I have no objection to setup and config challenges. The ones that scare me away are the reports that "they worked for a month, then one by one started failing." A couple of pluses to what you have: They will mount under eaves. Some cameras are wall mount only. Another advantage is that they record on a PC instead of a separate DVR. The remote zoom is nice, too, as is the audio.

One more question. Do you need a static IP address on your Internet connection for remote viewing? I've seen some that do, and that's significant with ATT Uverse here. Monthly charge plus big $$ installation.

Thanks again.

Sent using Tapatalk...so please excuse the typos!

Don't have but a second to respond, but no, you do not need a static IP. It does require port forwarding though, but it's free and provided by Foscam.

bowserb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Houston, TX USA
    Don't have but a second to respond, but no, you do not need a static IP. It does require port forwarding though, but it's free and provided by Foscam.
    Thanks for taking that second. I see Amazon has that camera...and it's been sold to quite a few people--with over 2,000 reviews! Looks good. The wireless/wired capability has great potential for portable, movable applications.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Little trick I was taught years ago when living up north. Before you go out for the eve, Put a $20 on something that you can see immediately once you open the door. ( not visible from the sidelights on doors that have them. If the cash is gone, back up call 911. If someone has entered the house and is waiting, they will normally pick up the cash the moment they see it.

Not sure how well it works as I always came home to find the money there, though there was that one time.. I put out a 20 and came home to 2 5s and a 10.....

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Little trick I was taught years ago when living up north. Before you go out for the eve, Put a $20 on something that you can see immediately once you open the door. ( not visible from the sidelights on doors that have them. If the cash is gone, back up call 911. If someone has entered the house and is waiting, they will normally pick up the cash the moment they see it.

Not sure how well it works as I always came home to find the money there, though there was that one time.. I put out a 20 and came home to 2 5s and a 10.....

Odd

Tejano Scott

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2011
    The Woodlands
    This thread has it all! Valuable life saving tips, serious stuff, hilarity, butt hurt, etc. Thanks everyone, this has been a pleasure to read. 35 Rmington, your camera setup is bad ass.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    hard fight if i get a intruder. im on one end grand baby a girl on the other.
    one way in one out. hall way 40 ft long.
    fatal funnel all day!!!! But it cant be helped, but i have a plan, aint gonna reveal much here, dont like it much. but gotta deal with it.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Same her but shorter hall way. Open area at the end then little girls room and little boy right across from my bedroom door. Same hallway death trap with nowhere to hide. Right now I would be relying on the light to blind the shit out of them until the muzzle flash took over.

Ladygun had the idea of putting doors from the closet into the next room so we could get from our room through sons room to my daughters room without entering the hallway. That's an expensive fix.

Other option is to rack a shotgun and listen for the door to slam as the BG takes off running.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    It would not be an expensive fix. Typically closets are setup back to back, or side to side. All you would need to do is remove a portion of drywall on each side to make an opening. You remove one stud to give you the width you need to get from one side to the other. You can hinge a mirror over the opening to conceal it or fit a piece of drywall that is only friction fit ( heck now a days you can use velcro to hold it ). Only issue is typical kids closets will be filled with stuff that will be in your way....

Ladygun had the idea of putting doors from the closet into the next room so we could get from our room through sons room to my daughters room without entering the hallway. That's an expensive fix.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    It would not be an expensive fix. Typically closets are setup back to back, or side to side. All you would need to do is remove a portion of drywall on each side to make an opening. You remove one stud to give you the width you need to get from one side to the other. You can hinge a mirror over the opening to conceal it or fit a piece of drywall that is only friction fit ( heck now a days you can use velcro to hold it ). Only issue is typical kids closets will be filled with stuff that will be in your way....

Going from our room to my sons room would come out in the middle if a wall in his side. Would also need to put in headers where the stud was removed. Since it would have to be framed I. For an actual door from out room to his the Sheetrock would need to be removed up to the ceiling so a regular door could be framed in properly.

Pocket door would be nice because it could be covered on his side but that would drive the cost up more.

Also, if I just covered the opening with a mirror my kids would have it destroyed in a few hours, lol.

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013
    Thanks for an informative discussion, I sent the link to my Hubby

i got the IP camera back up, and fixed the Postfix server so we can get pics emailed to us when our stuff gets stolen. let me know if you want the app installed on your phone so you can watch the burglary in realtime.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    i got the IP camera back up, and fixed the Postfix server so we can get pics emailed to us when our stuff gets stolen. let me know if you want the app installed on your phone so you can watch the burglary in realtime.

pretty close to what systems ive used before certain cams had audio as well. it was always nice to use my smartphone to check realtime what was up.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    In my home I check the one closet in the hall between my room and the kids room then wife and I both move to kids room and hole up there til cops arrive.
    On the subject of cameras. If not installed by a licensed security company their video is not admissible in court if ever needed. Audio recording is something you have to be very careful with as you are infringing on people's right to privacy (yes even in your own home, especially outside). In fact you will see many cameras or systems that have audio capability are "live" audio only. I'm not saying not to do it but you should check your local laws regarding this and comply. More then likely signage will be required. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    In my home I check the one closet in the hall between my room and the kids room then wife and I both move to kids room and hole up there til cops arrive.
    On the subject of cameras. If not installed by a licensed security company their video is not admissible in court if ever needed. Audio recording is something you have to be very careful with as you are infringing on people's right to privacy (yes even in your own home, especially outside). In fact you will see many cameras or systems that have audio capability are "live" audio only. I'm not saying not to do it but you should check your local laws regarding this and comply. More then likely signage will be required. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

In what case, etc. was it ruled inadmissible in court without being installed by a licensed security company? Where can one find legality answers concerning the laws, rules, and admissibility requirements of recording conversations, video, etc.? Have the laws changed recently?

I'm not buying into much of the above. 'Would sure like to see some indicator or accuracy (links?) before accepting some of that. And, as far as "local laws", my feeling is ................... it is more than bullshit!

Last edited:

Angeleyes

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    step up sandbags in the hallway dig a fox hole and wait lets hope the bad guys dont have rpgs or any kind of throwable explosives

Top Bottom