• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dhayes

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Idaho Falls,Idaho
    In my home I check the one closet in the hall between my room and the kids room then wife and I both move to kids room and hole up there til cops arrive.
    On the subject of cameras. If not installed by a licensed security company their video is not admissible in court if ever needed. Audio recording is something you have to be very careful with as you are infringing on people's right to privacy (yes even in your own home, especially outside). In fact you will see many cameras or systems that have audio capability are "live" audio only. I'm not saying not to do it but you should check your local laws regarding this and comply. More then likely signage will be required. Feel free to PM me with any questions.
    Is this part of the "criminals have rights too" crap? That is infuriating! These people that break in intend to do harm, steal, and possibly kill to get what they want. I believe they don't deserve the right to privacy if they break into my home.
    Lynx Defense

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Just let the grandbaby com play. Minefield all day!!
    Serious, they were told. If gunfire breaks out, roll out hit the floor,
    Between the bed and wall and wait!!! Comminucation will follow.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    step up sandbags in the hallway dig a fox hole and wait lets hope the bad guys dont have rpgs or any kind of throwable explosives

if you build your fighting hole correct, it should have a grenade sump and a built in chair for when youre sleeping and your battle buddy is pullin duty.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yup, I prefer the grenade sump on each side. You need to make sure it sloped off to the sumps so the grenades will roll in.

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    In what case, etc. was it ruled inadmissible in court without being installed by a licensed security company? Where can one find legality answers concerning the laws, rules, and admissibility requirements of recording conversations, video, etc.? Have the laws changed recently?

I'm not buying into much of the above. 'Would sure like to see some indicator or accuracy (links?) before accepting some of that. And, as far as "local laws", my feeling is ................... it is more than bullshit!

Completely agreed. All sorts of red flags went off while I read his post. He's just an Internet referee until he backs it up with facts.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2013
    Amarillo
    Well you can start with the electronic communications privacy act, and then move onto Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 119 of the US Code Section 2510, and then Texas code 1702. I try and give a little friendly advice because it is what I do every day, and all I get is "bullshit, red flags, and cite or get out" so there I have cited and now I will get out, and move on to other friendlier forums.

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    So you didn't fill out any info on your profile and we're supposed to just believe you cause you wrote it anonymously on the Internet! I understand not wanting to divulge too much info but c'mon man you could have said in your first post hey guys I'm a lawyer or a vague description of what you do or just posted those citations the first time and avoided the butt hurt.

Plus is it so hard to believe people want proof?

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Well you can start with the electronic communications privacy act, and then move onto Title 18, Part 1, Chapter 119 of the US Code Section 2510, and then Texas code 1702. I try and give a little friendly advice because it is what I do every day, and all I get is "bullshit, red flags, and cite or get out" so there I have cited and now I will get out, and move on to other friendlier forums.
    Texas is a "one party consent" state. Can you cite case law where audio/video installed by the home owner was ruled inadmissable as evidence?

My attorney ( who I am playing scrabble with right now) has called bullshit on that. The only thing Texas has is an improper photography law, and that deals with taking photos for sexual gratification and would not apply.

Last edited:

ElevenBravo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2013

dunno about texas, but here in nevada, this is a one-party consent state. SCOTUS has already ruled that anything that occurs in public, or can be seen from a public area is fair game, with a few exceptions. even if my cameras were installed by a 'licensed professional', i'm curious as to how that would change the situation any, if such recordings were normally prohibited.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    In my home I check the one closet in the hall between my room and the kids room then wife and I both move to kids room and hole up there til cops arrive.
    On the subject of cameras. If not installed by a licensed security company their video is not admissible in court if ever needed. Audio recording is something you have to be very careful with as you are infringing on people's right to privacy (yes even in your own home, especially outside). In fact you will see many cameras or systems that have audio capability are "live" audio only. I'm not saying not to do it but you should check your local laws regarding this and comply. More then likely signage will be required. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

I have given DVD copies of videos to officers that showed cars in my driveway being vandalized, which they used to catch the individuals.
    Nobody said anything to me about this, of course it did not go to court.....

illixir

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Colorado City
    I own a company that has a side line in installing and designing surveillance systems. I have installed several of the foscam wireless PTZ units (just make sure you don't put too many on the wireless network or it will choke your frame rate and give you dropped signals) and for our cheaper systems I use a supplier called SuperCircuits. They are an Austin, TX based company and the units I use can give you 4 cameras with 65' IR capability, 500GB of storage, and network monitoring for less than $350 out the door. It is nothing you can not install your self (most systems only require a single wire carrying power and video signal), and to the best of my knowledge the footage stands up in court just fine as long as you have valid time stamps and the footage was pulled from the unit either by or under the supervision of a LEO (or at least those have been the terms in my experience). SuperCircuits sells direct to the public as well as distributors and has an insane amount of cool things you can put in your house! I just recently picked up some "smoke detectors" that hold four hi-res cameras for a 360 degree view of any room!

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    Given our home is just myself, the MUCH better half, and two wiener dogs, we'll just hunker down in the master BR with sights trained on the BR doorway. We have no kids in the house, so it's a simpler solution for us.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!

Ahh...come on, don't get your panties in a wad here. I don't know much about the laws but I was also aware Texas was a "one party consent" state and that's what triggered my response. And obviously, everything I don't agree with is "bullshit". :rolleyes: Can't be too thin skinned around the gun forums, especially this one.

Top Bottom