Hope it wasn't a mistake!!

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by MuddyWaterMan, Jul 18, 2009.

1. MuddyWaterMan

MuddyWaterMan Active Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Well as some of you know I have been searching for a 9mm to complete my collection. Well I bought a brand new XDM9 a couple of days ago! It wasn't even ON my list of guns I wanted but MAN it felt SO good in my hand at the store! So I took it out shooting yesterday ........ :banghead: My first 19 rounds I hit the target TWICE! Stayed at 10 yards all day and put 200 rounds through it (100 blazer and 100 WWB) Towards the end of the day I started getting more on target but I have NEVER held a gun that felt so right but shot so poorly (for me. I know the gun can do better). Plan on putting a few hundred more rounds through her before I make any rash decisions about getting rid of her. Anyone else have trouble getting on target with a new pistol? If so how do you get on ( besides practice)? Thanks for the input all. This was the gun I planned on shooting with at the comps, but unless I improve DRASTICALLY it looks like I will be using my Bersa Thunder Plus. That would sure be one high dollar mistake though......:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:

Attached Files:

2. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I have some special elixir that I can sell ya, sure to cure all your ails....:lolz:

You basically said it though, practice and lots of it. Switching gun platforms will change your shot technique a bit. Work on dry fire drills to get your muscle memory down. That should help the transition.

3. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    If you don't want your problem, I can take it off your hands . . . . ..

good luck on fixing, though.

4. MuddyWaterMan

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    ha ha!! Thanks for the offer bud, but I wouldn't want to put you out or anything. LOL!
    I think practice is what will even things out. Also this is my first poly gun too, you think that would make a big difference?

5. M. Sage

M. Sage TGT Addict

Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    What do you normally shoot? Are you just stepping up and rushing your shots? You might need to slow down.

6. MuddyWaterMan

Jun 25, 2009
    Houston
    Usually about 1 second between shots, slowed it down on the new gun though 2 - 3 secnds. Two handed watching my breathing and taking my time. Used to shooting a Beretta 96 , bersa thunder , redhawk .44 , S&W 66-2 to name a few

7. TexasRedneck

TexasRedneck 1911 Nut Lifetime Member

Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Sometimes a new gun simply needs time to "burn in". My youngest took his duty-issued Sig to the range the day they issued it to him, and the first 200 rounds had me telling him he'd be better off usin' it for a club. After that, it started settling in, and by 3-400 rounds it would put 'em whar ya aimed 'em.

8. bikerbill

bikerbill Active Member

Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    My XDm 9 was right on target from the first shot, no sight adjustments, no failures, no issues ... I didn't buy it to carry, but I'd trust it in my nightstand any time .. has about 600 rds through it, but it needed no break-in ... maybe there's just something wrong with the one you got; my only problem is getting the last 3-4 rounds in the magazine ... good luck ...

9. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Actually those targets are not that bad considering you've got a new gun, with a completely different trigger system then the others you mentioned. Keep at it. I maybe dry fire to gain confidence in the system. It took me a long time to get used to my Glock, having shoot SA and DA/SA for more years than I'll admit.

10. Stangfan93

Stangfan93 Member

Apr 29, 2009
    Houston/Pasadena
    I think it says in the manual of the XD's it says you should shoot 250 rounds and not worry about accuracy until the barrel breaks in. I could be wrong.

But, if you think about it all your bullets hit within center mass. Enough to injure an intruder. Thats what I think about my Sigma when I shoot it. I can't make one ragged hole but I can hit center mass well enough.