• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan-in-Training

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Rockdale, Texas
    Really sorry to hear this happened to you. From the sounds of other comments, a dog may not be possible for you. I think you can find some inexpensive motion sensing alarms or just a trip line to a can full of nuts and bolts... (or a cowbell)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Dang, sorry to hear. I sleep sound too when thete are no little ones around. Agree on the alarms and dog. Video as well.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Hey Y'all,

While my girlfriend and I slept last night, a person or persons got through the deadbolt on my back door. Took a wad of cash out of my wallet, used the keys on the kitchen counter to get into both of my vehicles, and took a Colt New Agent, a Sig P238, and a Sig 938.

I don't think they made it out of the kitchen....left everything else in my wallet, left my girlfriend's purse alone, left the laptop and iPad sitting in my open backpack on the kitchen table, and we're nice enough to lock the back door handle on the way out.

I've had the Harris County constable over, and he's on supposed to be on his way back now. I just remembered that I was showing the 238 and 938 to a neighbor and had left them on the counter.

If y'all run across a Colt New Agent with crimson trace grips, last 4 of the SN is 8914, a Sig P238 sport with the rubber grips, last 4 of the SN is 5500, or a P938 with G10 grips, last 4 of the SN is 5190, please lock it down and call the cops.

And if you are in the fence about getting cameras or an alarm, get both.

These $#@!ers had loaded guns IN MY HOUSE 10 feet away from where my girl and I were sleeping. Granted, there was a 357 a foot from my head, I'd have been dead if that what they wanted.

I'm feeling somewhere between like I've been raped, robbed, or had my ass kicked in a fight. Just sick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That story just don't sound right. How did the thieves/burglars know what to target and what to leave behind knowing that there were two people in the dwelling? How did they by-pass a dead lock? Why did they know to steal guns from your vehicle, and why those guns left there unsecured?

Called the Constable instead of the PD or Sheriff?

Be well.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    They had the keys; why not steal the vehicles as well.

Something smells rotten in Denmark

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    They had the keys; why not steal the vehicles as well.

Something smells rotten in Denmark

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    My guess is that cars are harder to conceal than small handguns and cash. They didn't take the electronics either. My macs are on my find my iPhone app because I have my iTunes on them. The app works even if the apple products are turned off.

That sucks that you got robbed buddy. Does Texas have a system of serial numbers that people can report stolen guns to? That would be cool for pawn shops and gun shops and personal buyers to make sure they're buying guns that aren't stolen.

Another thing- I hate dogs. I think they suck. It's my opinion so you're free to yours. Dogs aren't part of my alarm system but my home has a nice vacuum because everything's sealed up good so it's loud when the door opens.

subseashooter

Use Your Imagination.....
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 7, 2013
    Here and There
    Hey Guys,

I'm sorry that I haven't been back to update, so here we go....

I really can't have a dog right now...I work overseas, and last year I was out of the country about 320 days.

I called the constable and he took the report and got all the serial numbers, didn't seem interested in finding them much....I was pretty unimpressed with that dude. I left and went to Dallas to do some stuff with a small gun company that I'm involved with. Spent the night there and was on my way to New Braunfels to do some other stuff and a neighbor called. This guy does security systems commercially, and said he'd get his guys to do a side job for me. Came over and was looking around and found the back door kicked in, blew out the door frame. Seems the perps came back the next night and had all the time they wanted. He called 911 and HCSO came over....told them that there were weapons in the house and the SO called for backup and they cleared the house. They told my neighbor that they couldn't do anything till I got there...which ended up being about 6 hours later after dealing with Austin rush hour traffic and the parking lot that was I10 undergoing construction.

Soooo....back door was kicked in, blew out the frame. They cleaned out the liquor cabinet, trashed my bedroom, stole a Ruger LCR in .22lr (last 4 of SN - 3952) stole all my watches, my suitcases....absolutely trashed the house. Broke one of my deck chairs.....it's a mess. I had Harris County SO here for a few hours last night and this morning, got 5-6 good prints off of some glass and some smooth surfaces. The crooks worked like hell to get into my safe. The locksmith was just here and he's confident that they did not get into it, but he won't be able to open it till Monday. Already talked to the guys at Browning safes and they are going to replace it if my insurance does not. I'll try and get some pics posted in a bit, but they are on my phone right now.

Today has been dealing with insurance, building lists of what is missing, had the locksmith over and he's coming back on Monday. Getting a new back door and frame tomorrow hopefully.

I'll do my best to monitor this thread and reply as I can, but as you can imagine, I'm keeping pretty busy at the moment.

Thanks for all y'all's thoughts and prayers....no one got hurt, stuff can mostly be replaced, but the peace of mind of being safe in one fracking spot on this rock....damnit, that's what I enjoyed about having a home.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Everything you're describing sounds like kids: specifically, teenagers. Which of the neighbors that knew about your guns has teenagers (or early twenties kids) living at home?

ed308

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    DFW
    Don't forget that you automatically have $2500 in firearm insurance via the NRA if you are a member. The reason I mentioned, your homeowner's or renters insurance will likely have a special limit for theft of firearms. Usually the limit will be $1000 but also subject to your policy deductible. If you desire more insurance for any future losses, consider a policy through ArmsCare, Collectiable or some other third party insurer of firearms. A 10K policy through ArmsCare is around $100/year. No deductible unless you aren't a NRA member, then $100 per claim.

Good luck with theft claim. Hope they catch the bums. And glad no one was injured.

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    My bet would be someone you know...they were very comfortable in doing so while you're home. Most home robberies occur during the day while people are at work...so they were either comfortable or brazen. The fact they left a lot of other items as is, suggests they knew what they were looking for and had a plan to grab just the guns and low hanging fruit (cash in a visible wallet) and get out.

My .02.

Get an alarm and a good protective breed of dog with a deep bark (Boxer Mix was my choice).

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    Sounds like the offer for the side job install is one you should jump on. Sorry to hear about all your troubles, but at least the second time you weren't there. Not sure I'd be able to sleep if someone broke into the house with me sleeping twice in a row.

Of course kicking in the door this time seems odd since they didn't need to do that last time. Did you happen to move a hidden key or change the locks since the first time? Or did they just know that you were out of town so they didn't care about the noise?

Also can't wait to see pics of the safe to see what they did to it.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Everything you're describing sounds like kids: specifically, teenagers. Which of the neighbors that knew about your guns has teenagers (or early twenties kids) living at home?

Yep, and very close by.
    Reminds of when I lived in the Houston Heights.
    Local family of thieves waited until insurance replaced the last thing they had stolen from a particular neighbor, then steal it again.

Top Bottom