2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    If it passes the Senate, 18-20 yo should revolt... They're the right age for it...

Most of the Founding Fathers were under the age of 40 on July 4, 1776, and would more rightly be considered ‘founding teenagers’ or young adults at the time they submitted the Declaration of Independence.

Among the most notable signers were James Monroe (18), John Marshall (20), Aaron Burr (20), Alexander Hamilton (21), and James Madison (25). Thomas Jefferson, principal author of the document, was only 33.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    Of course it passed the House, that place is a chit show of lunatics like AOC. Means nothing.

There's a decent chance it won't pass the Senate.

There's a small chance that certain elements such as magazine capacity restrictions and age restrictions will be found unconstitutional.

Now's the time to send another email to Cornholio.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I’ve been saving this…. But it’s time
    B4C3E081-97AB-42E6-A714-D87879286A2E.jpeg

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Reasonable chance for being overturned.

On what grounds? SCOTUS has recognized government can regulate a constitutional right. It’s why we have a minimum age today that’s different between handguns and rifles/shotguns. If Congress wanted to avoid the litigation, they would just do it for all firearms and AOWs instead of leaving an opening for a challenge based on technical definitions.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    HR7910 does more than just raise the age to purchase certain firearms.

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide for an increased age limit on the purchase of certain firearms, prevent gun trafficking, modernize the prohibition on untraceable firearms, encourage the safe storage of firearms, and for other purposes.

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE; TABLE OF CONTENTS.
    (a) Short Title.—This Act may be cited as the “Protecting Our Kids Act”.

(b) Table Of Contents.—The table of contents for this Act is as follows:

TITLE I—RAISE THE AGE

Sec. 101. Prohibition on Federal firearms licensee selling or delivering certain semiautomatic centerfire rifles or semiautomatic centerfire shotguns to a person under 21 years of age, with exceptions.

Sec. 102. Operation of the Federal Bureau of Investigation’s public access line.

TITLE II—PREVENT GUN TRAFFICKING

Sec. 201. Prohibition on straw purchases of firearms; prohibition on gun trafficking.

Sec. 202. Prohibition on disposition of firearm to person intending unlawful further disposition.

Sec. 203. Penalties.

Sec. 204. Firearms subject to forfeiture.

TITLE III—UNTRACEABLE FIREARMS

Sec. 301. Requirement that all firearms be traceable.

Sec. 302. Modernization of the prohibition on undetectable firearms.

TITLE IV—SAFE STORAGE

Sec. 401. Ethan’s Law.

Sec. 402. Safe guns, safe kids.

Sec. 403. Kimberly Vaughan Firearm Safe Storage.
    TITLE V—CLOSING THE BUMP STOCK LOOPHOLE

Sec. 501. Bump stocks.

TITLE VI—KEEP AMERICANS SAFE

Sec. 601. Definitions.

Sec. 602. Restrictions on large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

Sec. 603. Penalties.

Sec. 604. Use of Byrne grants for buy-back programs for large capacity ammunition feeding devices.

TITLE VII—MISCELLANEOUS

Sec. 701. NICS Report.

etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    On what grounds? SCOTUS has recognized government can regulate a constitutional right. It’s why we have a minimum age today that’s different between handguns and rifles/shotguns. If Congress wanted to avoid the litigation, they would just do it for all firearms and AOWs instead of leaving an opening for a challenge based on technical definitions.

There are all kinds of grounds open here. There are so many potential ways to attack this we could have our own forum dedicated just to that. Doesn't mean any of those ways will win (or even be attempted) but they exist.

Just because the govt can provide regulation on a right doesn't mean all regulation is automatically OK, there is tons of precedent here, crap like tiered scrutiny, on and on it goes down the rabbit hole.

For example, just a couple bits on just one of the House bill items:

The govt would never recognize that you can only have two abortions, or 100 words per free speech, so why is it OK to limit my magazine capacity?
    What if I'm handicapped and only have 1 arm -- reloading is seriously slow, so I need a standard capacity magazine to protect myself.

If you allow the govt to limit capacity to 15, why not 14? Why not 1? This is where the govt, because it's regulating a civil right, has to show a reason why 15 must be the maximum. It must show that killers would not be able to kill people if their magazine capacity had been limited, the govt needs to bring science. The closer to the "core" of the right, the higher the burden on the government.

Where the line is drawn is of course arbitrary, and SCOTUS is as political as anything else, but there is just the tiniest taste of the grounds you asked to see.

madwildcat

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Frisco, TX
    Multiple news sites on both sides are calling it dead on arrival to the Senate. Its posturing for the election coming up, nothing more. If it had real chance of being passed, they would have coordinated for it to be reviewed and voted on quickly and the Senate would be talking it up more.

That being said, I think I am purchasing a couple more PMAGs....

Failedsmile2019!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2022
    Texas
    This is quite troubling. I was trying to get my first AR in the next couple of months. Guess I'll have to practice quick reloads... These knee jerk reactions never accomplish what they think they will...

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Multiple news sites on both sides are calling it dead on arrival to the Senate. Its posturing for the election coming up, nothing more. If it had real chance of being passed, they would have coordinated for it to be reviewed and voted on quickly and the Senate would be talking it up more.

That being said, I think I am purchasing a couple more PMAGs....
    I hope you’re right but I don’t think it will work out like we want. The number of seats of folks who won’t vote yes is slim. Little wiggle room between republican seats and democrat/other. So when you have names like graham, Cornyn, romney; not good.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    This is quite troubling. I was trying to get my first AR in the next couple of months. Guess I'll have to practice quick reloads... These knee jerk reactions never accomplish what they think they will...
    Nope they never will. Gun control is illogical. How does regulating regulating mags and buying age save lives? It won’t.

Top Bottom