• ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    TRN

That was my experience back in 2006, and in those days the temporary Texas driver license didn't even have a picture on it. I thought it odd as well, but since I had my military ID card as well, they had no problem in processing my purchase.

My wife subsequently lost her drivers license a few years back and got a temporary one (guess who had to take her to the DMV? ). I noticed they now have pictures on them.

The 30-day thing may be how long it takes to get the permanent drivers license, but according to the ATF "a purchaser may be identified by any combination of government-issued documents which together establish all of the required information: Name, residence address, date of birth, and photograph of the holder." (per 27 CFR 478.11 and 478.124(c)).

As for the 3-day requirement, I know you have to get a Texas drivers license within 30 days of arriving here; but I am not aware of a minimal amount of time you have to spend in this state to officially be a resident...does anyone?

Cheers! M2

You're a resident the instant you start living here.
    Texas SOT

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    did you have to show active duty orders, pcs or something as well?

Is that question directed at me? If so, if you are active duty stationed in Texas, you can purchase a firearm using your military orders (must be PCS, TDY orders are no good for purchasing a pistol).

As for getting my Texas drivers license, all I had to do was 1) have a vehicle registered in this state, 2) do some paperwork and an eye test, then 3) turn in my old Florida drivers license. I was issued a temporary TX DL which I then used to buy the pistol.

Cheers! M2

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    sounds good, ive been to carters and thunder ranch but looking for some other nice spots, middle of nowhere type deal.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    You're a resident the instant you start living here.

True, but once you are no longer in the military technically you are just like someone who has just entered the state. You have the same time requirements for obtaining a drivers license, registering your vehicles, etc.

So despite the fact that I had already lived here for ten months, I was not able to purchase the firearm from this FFL until such time as I proved residency; which I did with a Texas drivers license.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Is that question directed at me? If so, if you are active duty stationed in Texas, you can purchase a firearm using your military orders (must be PCS, TDY orders are no good for purchasing a pistol).

As for getting my Texas drivers license, all I had to do was 1) have a vehicle registered in this state, 2) do some paperwork and an eye test, then 3) turn in my old Florida drivers license. I was issued a temporary TX DL which I then used to buy the pistol.

Cheers! M2

yeah it was for you, sorry i forgot to quote. i guess accepting a temporary tx dl is up to the ffl's discretion? hopefully it works for me too, im having a craving for a new gun and if i have to wait 30 days, its gonna suck.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Anything that's legal is at the FFL's discretion.

My friend was on TDY here, had an FFL refuse to transfer a pistol to him on his orders. "Nawp, you need a TX ID." No, he doesn't (didn't), but that was what they required.

Actually, I think they were just hoping it would take him a month or more to get a TX ID so that they could take possession of a nifty FNP-45 Tactical.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Anything that's legal is at the FFL's discretion.

Agreed, they are a business and have the right to refuse anyone. When it comes to Federal firearms laws, they tend to be very particular!

My friend was on TDY here, had an FFL refuse to transfer a pistol to him on his orders. "Nawp, you need a TX ID." No, he doesn't (didn't), but that was what they required.
    Sorry, but the FFL was correct. TDY orders don't constitute "residency" anywhere. PCS orders, yes; but TDY no. Per the ATF...

Q: What constitutes residency in a State?

The State of residence is the State in which an individual is present; the individual also must have an intention of making a home in that State. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located. If a member of the Armed Forces maintains a home in one State and the member’s permanent duty station is in a nearby State to which he or she commutes each day, then the member has two States of residence and may purchase a firearm in either the State where the duty station is located or the State where the home is maintained.

[18 U.S.C. 921(b), 922(a) (3), and 922(b)(3), 27 CFR 478.11]
    Cheers! M2

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I know a friend was told 30 days resident, 90 days non-resident alien......

A non-resident alien cannot purchase or lease a gun. A RESIDENT alien, green card holder, may. -naturalized citizen here.

But yes, there is a 90 day proof of residency requirement for non-citizens.

-Glen, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I am also in that area, and don't see it as that dry of pickings for guns. Here are a few for you to check out, some a bit of a drive, but really not that bad.

Good Little Gunstore hidden just off I-45 in Spring.
    South Texas Tripods and Feeders, Deer Blinds, Deer Feeders, Tripods

About a 25 minute drive north and you can get to
    Bayou Bend Gun Shop
    200 Bayou Bend Lane, Cleveland, TX 77328-8024 (281) 592-5158 ‎

This one is just starting up, has some potential.
    The Woodlands Tactical
    267 Sawdust Road, Spring, TX 77380 (281) 465-8900 ‎

This is an interesting place, yes it's in his house so park in his driveway. Got an unusual selection in about 3 rooms and does some gunsmith work.
    Buffalo Nickel Emporium
    25807 Oak Ridge Drive, Spring, TX 77380 (281) 298-9100 ‎

There is always Gander Mountain in Spring.

Humble has Sportsman's Outlet with a indoor range.
    1710 Fm 1960 Bypass Rd E, Humble, TX 77338
    (281) 540-1160

On the other side of Lake Houston you have these places,

High Noon Indoor Gun Range
    5911 FM 2100 Rd., Crosby, TX 77532
    (281) 328-2800 ‎

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?c...ed=0CA8Q-gswAA&sa=X&ei=yPprTtiuGoeuzQTFyMSYBAPig Supply

115 South Main Street, Highlands, TX
    (281) 426-5091

On our side of town, there is a variety if you are willing to look. Plus there are tons of Pawn Shops that carry guns.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    I just moved here on 9/6/11 so I'm going through the same thing. In order to obtain a TX DL you first must have a vehicle registered in the state of TX, and show your birth cirtificate and SS card. This is from the Bexar county DPS Liscence Branch. In order to register a vehicle in the state of Texas you must have proof of Texas Liability Insurance and pass a saftey inspection, pay fee's at the tax office . The folks at the saftey inspection want insurance proof also. So I had to get my insurance straightened out before I can do any thing with a license. Not sure about getting an ID card. That would be good to purchase a firearm right? Wouldnt require all the hassle with the vehicle stuff either. Maybe I should do this.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    A non-resident alien cannot purchase or lease a gun. A RESIDENT alien, green card holder, may. -naturalized citizen here.

But yes, there is a 90 day proof of residency requirement for non-citizens.

-Glen, Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep - my bad - wrong term....he's "resident alien", not non.....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I just moved here on 9/6/11 so I'm going through the same thing. In order to obtain a TX DL you first must have a vehicle registered in the state of TX, and show your birth cirtificate and SS card. This is from the Bexar county DPS Liscence Branch. In order to register a vehicle in the state of Texas you must have proof of Texas Liability Insurance and pass a saftey inspection, pay fee's at the tax office . The folks at the saftey inspection want insurance proof also. So I had to get my insurance straightened out before I can do any thing with a license. Not sure about getting an ID card. That would be good to purchase a firearm right? Wouldnt require all the hassle with the vehicle stuff either. Maybe I should do this.

Actually, I'm not aware that you're required to show a registration/insurance in order to get a TDL - because if someone only drove when they rented a car, they'd have no such stuff.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Agreed, they are a business and have the right to refuse anyone. When it comes to Federal firearms laws, they tend to be very particular!

Sorry, but the FFL was correct. TDY orders don't constitute "residency" anywhere. PCS orders, yes; but TDY no. Per the ATF...

Cheers! M2

Didn't mean TDY... He was PCS for training at Fort Sam. I was looking for another TLA, but can't remember what it is anymore.

smtimelevi

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    San Antonio
    That's what I thought. when I went into the DPS office to get one they told my to come back with vehicle registration before they can issue a DL. They also gave me a DL application that says the same thing on it in big bolded letters. Not sure about an ID, didnt ask about that. I should have.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Actually, I'm not aware that you're required to show a registration/insurance in order to get a TDL - because if someone only drove when they rented a car, they'd have no such stuff.

Yep, it's required (see #5 here). I can only guess it is to ensure people don't come here just to get a license, that being if you register a car in this state you are more likely to stay here.

The application process for a Texas ID card seems easier, but why bother if you're gonna need a drivers license anyway?

What a person who moves here in a rental vehicle does is beyond me, but those are the rules.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Didn't mean TDY... He was PCS for training at Fort Sam. I was looking for another TLA, but can't remember what it is anymore.

In that case, the FFL was wrong. A permanent change of station allows military personnel to purchase firearms in a state the same as a resident.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Found it. AIT was the TLA I was looking for. He was here on orders for AIT, the FFL denied the transfer, said orders "weren't enough".

Top Bottom