Capitol Armory ad

How many LEO's does it take to arrest 1 guy with 1 traffic warrant?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Tatsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    Ok, I just talked to my brother and he was arrested last evening. Now, if anyone has ever followed any of my posts they would know my brother and myself migrate between Washington state and Texas. Well as it turns out the following happened when my brother never took care of a ticket he got in Arlington, TX some years back. Its all his fault I understand, since he never paid the ticket and moved back to Seattle. My question is, do you really think all this manpower from the officers was really needed?
    Well apparently my brother got pulled over on his motorcycle about 5 years ago, and at the time did not have a valid motorcycle license and was issued a citation. This happened in 2006..
    Well, as it turns out last evening he was speeding a bit in GRAND PRAIRIE, TX, and got pulled over going 7 MPH over the posted 55 MPH limit. LEO comes to the car, asks him for his license and proof of insurance, and he provides. It takes the LEO and his partner buddy forever to return to the car, all while a spotlight is shining right on him. Eventually another cruiser, and then a 3rd cruiser pull up behind. As it so happens where he was pulled over at was right in front of a firehouse/police sub-station. At one point there were 7 officers on the scene. He is eventually pulled from the car, cuffed, his person searched, his car searched (very throughly he added and then promptly taken to jail.
    There is more, and I will make you all aware, that my bother was arrested and did prison time in 1999, and was released in 2001, and since then the only thing he has ever don wrong was ride a motorcycle once without a license while test riding it and got a ticket. i know my brother and he is so afraid of ever going back to prision, you would have a hell of a time ever getting him to pay a bill late. Basically he got the ticket, paid a lawyer who never took care of it and moved to washingtn state. My question, do you think, or was it really needed for 7 officers to been present, while 1 guy, who admittedly had been in trouble as a teen, over 12 years ago, and never been in tourble since, was arrested for a 1 class C ticket, that happened over 5 years ago?
    No offense to any LEO's here, I just think this is overkill. I love reading about LEO's and civi's working it out as posted here by Texasredneck, just FYI..
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/...2-unfortunate-run-travis-county-sheriffs.html
    Lynx Defense

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Yeah, what kind of histroy are you talking about? Drugs, Weapons? Either one would raise awareness as some folks have a habit of repeating offenses. Some of the smallest violations lead to decent arrests and alway better to exercise caution. Those officers were probably sitting in the car so long JUST to wait for that second unit. We don't know your brother's size, history, etc. So they used caution. Just because they were in front of a police department/firehouse doesn't mean it's always fully staffed to run out and aid.

Maybe a little more clarification on your brother's "priors" would help explain need for more officers to prevent a larger event. I'm sure, as you stated, your brother is a good guy. But, these officers don't know that.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I don't think it's overkill ... it could have been training, it could have been boredom, it could have been SOP, etc.

With priors, warrants, etc. I'm thinking that had the majority to do with it. I've seen alot of cops shot and killed by simple stops.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    If its right in front of a sub station as you indicated, any officer coming or going may just be stoping to check to make sure there are no problems with your brother who has an arrest warrant and is a convicted felon. They take their time back at the car to make sure they have the correct info.

Sounds like they did their job to me.

Your brother was treated fairly and professionally and the only complaint is too many police cars? Lots of things to complain about out there. This aint one of 'em.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I ain't bustin' on YOU - but ah'm gonna bust yer brother to hell an' back....

He had an old ticket....years ago....gets pulled over - and is surprised that they don't treat him like "Joe Citizen"?!?? All too often, it's the little stuff that trips up criminals - Al Capone got nailed over taxes, NOT over being responsible for an untold number of murders. Folks that ignore simple citations are exhibitting a disregard/disdain for the legal system and society in general. That often equals to someone with a tendency towards more egrigious (look it up, Dcav)<G> violations of the law, as I think the various LEO's here will attest to. Since there'd been no further contact w/him by LEO's they didn't know WHAT to expect from your brother, so they "bulked up" and took care of business in a safe and professional manner. It's also quite possible that it was an extremely slow night so they gravitated to the only "action" around. Doesn't really matter - brother was hooked up and taken off, no one got out of line an' the donuts of the community were safe during that time.

Look at it this way....all those cops, all those asps/batons/guns/tasers.....an' not a one of 'em used on the brother! Now, THAT is the story!<G>

More seriously.....obviously, your brother was, at one time, on the cusp of "goin' bad". Whether due to concious choices on his part or luck, he straightened out an' started doin' things right, an' there was just this still hangin' over his head. Now it'll be cleared up, and he can go on with life w/o worrying about it any more.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    If its right in front of a sub station as you indicated, any officer coming or going may just be stoping to check to make sure there are no problems with your brother who has an arrest warrant and is a convicted felon. They take their time back at the car to make sure they have the correct info.

Sounds like they did their job to me.

Your brother was treated fairly and professionally and the only complaint is too many police cars? Lots of things to complain about out there. This aint one of 'em.

+1

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    What difference does it make how many cops were there? Would the outcome be different if there were just one, or if there were 40? Your indignation is misplaced. Your brother, solely, is responsible for his prediciment.

I understand your frustration over the incident, but looking to place blame anywhere else but your brother is an exercise in futility.

cfell

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2011
    Hill Country
    ..too often a LEO.. a fellow American, does NOT go home to his family at shift end.

I wonder, did your brother have a current Texas DL? Seems to me they would have 'cleared it up' at the DMV during license issue. I know this because it happened when I was there to a guy and I overheard it all. Yes, he was arrested, too.

Sorry your brother's 'honest lawyer' didn't complete the process... maybe he can be called as a witness.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Grand Prairie Police Sgt. Gregory Hunter was killed by a vicious nutcase sitting in a vehicle on a parking lot some years ago. There is no reason to believe that members of the GPPD have forgotten that incident plus their training...When a person is stopped it is police proceedure to run a check upon the driver and the vehicle, a little time consuming but pays dividends in getting a lot of bad guys off the street and making it safer for you and I...If the person stopped has unpaid ticket, is or was a felon, you can bet that backup will be called in...Sure, getting a traffic ticket pisses off most people but if they are "clean" record wise and have no unpaid fines, thats about the xsize of it.

Tatsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    To clarify, and I should have stated in OP. My brother is about 6 foot tall, around 180 soaking wet. He went to state jail when he was 18 years old for being dumb, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was convicted for being possesion of controlled substance. He did his time, and has been straight as an arrow ever since. This happened over 12 years ago. My point is, I know my brother, and he when he says he did everything the officer asked without question I believe him. He did not resist, was polite, and complied with everything. My point is, if it took 7 officers to make one arrest for some small warrant from so long ago because he had a felony from over 12 years ago, then when, if ever does a man finally be able to live life without it always following him around for the rest of his life.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Brother i am with you. I have been pulled over and had
    6-8 on me but dont start like you dont want to finish.
    Start good end good(i.e) have everything in order get pulled
    Over check? Good move in.

Respect is very important. I give you give. If not
    The law applies. so imho as long as everybody goes home safe
    All good

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    As many cops showed up as they felt necessary. There are tons of reasons that don't involved your brother's record.

Seems to me your most concerned that there is a "black mark" on your brothers record.

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    ive only been pulled over twice that had backup. once was the prior thread i posted in the ca gun laws thread. and then the following, i had been pulled over and the officer immediately was aggressive. call me a stupid ****, asked me for my DL/insurance, asked when was the last time i was arrested and if im currently on probation or parole. i said never, and then he told me we'll see about that. his backup arrives and is asking me questions trying to gauge me. the initial stop officer, comes back and asks me why i have a 3'x5' dont tread on me flag on my vehicle and where my guns are. i told him i dont have any guns in my vehicle, i do not consent to a search and that im flying the flag because its a patriotic symbol. he goes back to his vehicle and about 10 minutes later, hes talking to his backup and i overhear them saying, i think it was a bullshit call, this guy seems normal, hes been straight with me the entire time and hes not doing anything wrong. basically, someone called in to report i was "weaving in and out of traffic and speeding" when they returned, they told me to have a nice day. i think some obama lover didnt like the flag i was flying and reported a fake call.

Tatsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    I am in no way blaming law enforcement for doing their jobs, or even trying to take the responsibility of the warrant away from my brother, but in his defense, he honestly had no idea he had a warrant. He just moved back to Texas and does not yet have a TX DL, so honestly there is no way he could have known he had a warrant. He was hooked up, and hauled off. What really sucks is he ended up having to stay at the jail over 8 hours, simply because GP does not allow you to pay your tickets from another city there. He had his credit cards, check book etc. He could have just paid it and been on his way, but it wasnt happening in GP. I feel bad, because they would not allow me to come pick up his truck (i live literally 5 minutes away from where he was pulled over.) He got taken in, stuck in jail for 8 hours cuz they wouldnt let him pay out of town tickets at the jail, and then his truck gets towed away. All over a 175.00 dollar ticket from 4 years ago. He said the arresting officer was just a jerk, and would cut him no slack, kept digging his fingers into his bi-ceps while cuffing, and was reiterating over and over that he better not resist even though my brother was completely compliant the whole time. Apparently a couple of the other officers were wanting to allow me to pick up his truck, but the AO was not having it. I can understand if he had 2,3,4+ outstanding warrants, or even a felony warrant, but one 175.00 ticket from so long ago, they could have cut him some slack, maybe not cutting him loose, but they could have at least let me get his truck, or even allow him to give me his wallet so I could go pay his ticket.
    I agree, I thank all of those that serve our public trust, and for the most part never really have had any bad issues with any LEO's. As a matter of fact my uncle, and cousin are both in law enforcement. Its just sometimes, I think you have the occasional LEO with a Nepoleon complex, and it seems that could have been the case here. I figure that the resources of 7 officers spent on arresting one individual with one ticket, showing no signs of resistance or giving any trouble at all, is kind of a waste. I mean hell for all we know there could be robbery or rape going on somewhere at that time that they could be dealing with (not really saying there was).
    I honestly believe that he was pulled over, flagged for a warrant, the AO knows he is a convicted felon (no matter how long ago it was), and was going to make the arrest no matter what, maybe for nothing more than to be able to run a full check to make sure he had no new felony warrants, and since the felony charge was a controlled substance charge, wanted to make sure he had no such substances on him or in his car. It boils down to the fact, that it happened this way I believe, not because of the class C ticket, but only because he had a felony conviction. Do you guys really think, that had this been a soccer mom they had pulled over, that 7 officers would be needed to arrest her, and search her car? just something to think about.
    I know I am going to be beating a dead horse with a stick by going on and on, but I guess I just feel for my brother as he just wants to live life the right way, and no be branded for the rest of his life for a mistake made so long ago, even when he has paid his debt to society.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom