Venture Surplus ad

How many LEO's does it take to arrest 1 guy with 1 traffic warrant?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    To clarify, and I should have stated in OP. My brother is about 6 foot tall, around 180 soaking wet. He went to state jail when he was 18 years old for being dumb, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was convicted for being possesion of controlled substance. He did his time, and has been straight as an arrow ever since. This happened over 12 years ago. My point is, I know my brother, and he when he says he did everything the officer asked without question I believe him. He did not resist, was polite, and complied with everything. My point is, if it took 7 officers to make one arrest for some small warrant from so long ago because he had a felony from over 12 years ago, then when, if ever does a man finally be able to live life without it always following him around for the rest of his life.

Look - I ain't bustin' on you, but the bottom line is that the #1 job of a cop is to go home at the end of the day. Your brother has a criminal history and was being stopped while breaking the law (not a major law, but you'd be amazed at how often simple traffic stops turn up major criminals) and having an outstanding warrant. To be honest, it sounds like he was treated amazingly well (as he should have been) given the overall circumstances. Had he been pulled over by a lone officer w/o backup available, it would likely have been a lot rougher stop on him, because as I said Job #1 for any cop is to go home!
    DK Firearms

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I honestly believe that he was pulled over, flagged for a warrant, the AO knows he is a convicted felon (no matter how long ago it was), and was going to make the arrest no matter what, maybe for nothing more than to be able to run a full check to make sure he had no new felony warrants, and since the felony charge was a controlled substance charge, wanted to make sure he had no such substances on him or in his car. It boils down to the fact, that it happened this way I believe, not because of the class C ticket, but only because he had a felony conviction. Do you guys really think, that had this been a soccer mom they had pulled over, that 7 officers would be needed to arrest her, and search her car? just something to think about.
    I know I am going to be beating a dead horse with a stick by going on and on, but I guess I just feel for my brother as he just wants to live life the right way, and no be branded for the rest of his life for a mistake made so long ago, even when he has paid his debt to society.

Sorry - but you're about to get a "whine" retort...because that's what it is. He has a prior criminal history, ignored a traffic citation and had broken the law. Oopsies!

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    Do you guys really think, that had this been a soccer mom they had pulled over, that 7 officers would be needed to arrest her, and search her car? just something to think about.

yes, depending on how safe he felt and how aggressive she was. also, ive seen half a department show up, for a dude stuck on a fence that impaled his arm through the security stake. they were even calling for more guys to show up and look at the idiot. this included, two fire trucks, one ambulance and 12 cop cars.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    if you're a baseball fan, you may have heard Rangers Manager Ron Washington say "thats the way baseball go"

well - when you're a convicted felon and get pulled over........"thats the way life go"

quit trying to make the police the bad guys here - not saying your brother is a bad guy - but the cops were doing their job........period. you're complaining about how they did it because your brother may have got his feelers hurt, or didnt like the way his day went.......bad form imo

this is a clear case of reaping what you sow

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Well previous Felony and Warrant? I would kind of expect that response. There's nothing on his record that says, "He's a great guy now"

Don't traffic violation warrants go away after 2 years though? Statute of limitations and all?

I'm surely uneducated on this and someone will school me.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Do you guys really think, that had this been a soccer mom they had pulled over, that 7 officers would be needed to arrest her, and search her car?

If i had someone stopped and they had a warrant, the other officers in my city would come by just to make a presence. If i declined cover, they would at least come by and look for my 10-11 nod. By your statement, are you implying officers may favor a female with warrants? I'll be the first to tell you that I don't. It's even been my experience to have women argue more about it. Warrant is a warrant. Then, depending ob the circumstances, the vehicle would either be searched incident to arrest, or inventoried prior to imposed.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Your brother Is a grown man. Sure, he has a criminal history, but people also have a tendency to exaggerate their situations. He was caught, he has a warrant, it's his responsibility to follow through with the ticket. If he feels he was treated unfairly, he should report it. Otherwise, who cares how many show up. It's like a lady who was yelling at me saying I should be out arresting real criminals and not harassing the public. That was until she dropped her baggy of cocaine, lol. So much for just a little stop.

Tatsun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2011
    Arlington, TX
    No, if it goes into warrant status, it never goes away. If its a ticket, and a warrant is never placed on it, then yes, I think it does go away due to statute of limitations..

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Sounds to me like the cops did their job. It's unfortunate that the brother neglected to pay up and ended up with a warrant... but warrants are red flags for LEOs. Many folks that who fail to comply with law enforcement and end up with warrants are also involved with other criminal activities. The two often go hand in hand. LEOs tend to get on alert in this situation.

Obviously I'm not saying everybody who fails to pay up on a traffic ticket is a bad guy...

TexasDad

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Universal City
    I find it very interesting that you state that there was no way he could have known that he had a warrant. He got a ticket and it wasn't paid. You stated that he hired a lawyer to take care of it. Did he never follow up with lawyer? If the lawyer told him it was taken care of there should have been some paperwork to go with that. Given the fact that your brother is a convicted felon, and preferring to avoid future encounters with the court system, he should have ensured that every i was dotted and t was crossed.
    Your comment stating that the other officers could have been taking care of possible robberies or rapes is rather insulting to the officers that responded. I find it very hard to believe that they were ignoring calls about crimes in progress while your brother was being arrested.
    Your brother is a convicted felon. In most of his dealings with law enforcement this will be a factor. He was caught breaking the law. The LEO that stopped him discovered the warrant. He was arrested. That's that. If he had taken care of business it never would have been a problem.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Bring a BIG lunch - and another, MUCH larger set o' balls.....</Terminator voice>

BIG lunch? Hell, I'll bring a TACTICAL lunch!!!

Pepperoni-Tactical-Sammich1733-2859.jpg

Pepperoni Tactical Sammich, [url]www.cmmginc.comCMMG Inc. AR15 Rifles, Parts and Accessories. .22 LR Dedicated AR-15 Rifles, Dedicated AR 15 9mm Rifles and Uppers, Tactical Bacon[/URL]

n5wd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2011
    Foat Wuth
    I know I am going to be beating a dead horse with a stick by going on and on, but I guess I just feel for my brother as he just wants to live life the right way, and no be branded for the rest of his life for a mistake made so long ago, even when he has paid his debt to society.

It's natural that you should feel that way for your brother. But....

It's like I tell the kids at school: you don't even begin to understand the ramifications of a felony drug arrest/conviction if you think you're just going to pay a fine and go about your life like nothing happened. Something like that will screw your life up forever in so many different ways, and it will never, ever go away. Your brother is being reminded of that fact. Get used to it. Teach YOUR children not to do dumb things like that lest they pay the price their uncle is paying, and will continue to pay for the rest of his life. Fair? Maybe not. But it is the way it is.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    My point is, if it took 7 officers to make one arrest for some small warrant from so long ago because he had a felony from over 12 years ago, then when, if ever does a man finally be able to live life without it always following him around for the rest of his life.
    Your brother is a felon and he always will be. That's just the way it is. The Police will take extra precautions when dealing with him, as they should. He wasn't beaten, tased, shot or mistreated in any way. I don't understand why you are complaining.

double_r76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    Cibolo
    He went to state jail when he was 18 years old for being dumb, and being in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was convicted for being possesion of controlled substance. He did his time, and has been straight as an arrow ever since...

Your brother may not be telling you everything about his past. People aren't put in jail for just being dumb. I've never seen anyone go to jail for being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I've never even heard of someone going to state prison for TWO YEARS for a first offense possession charge without serious aggravating circumstances.

Anyways, your brother went to big boy felony prison for some serious crime. Your brother then broke the law again and got a ticket years back. Your brother then broke the law again by failing to properly handle said ticket. Your brother then recently broke the law again by speeding and getting pulled over in GP. You consider all of this "straight as an arrow" and surprised when the local law enforcement may not feel comfortable dealing with him one-on-one? You need to wake up and realize that your brother brought this on himself, ever bit of it.

Cudos to the cops for handling it safely and professionally.

-Randy

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom