Hurley's Gold

How many LTC folks are actively carrying around you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    True. That would be interesting - but depending on how well they conceal, it may not be easy to discern the numbers involved. I would tend to guess a "community college" may be a little more representative of the general population (as opposed to a dedicated four year school with a generally, overall younger aged population). If I recall correctly, the law still doesn't allow for open carry even on a junior college campus. Plus, I'd think that would be ill advised anyway IF a passing grade is desired from most (liberal) professors.
    --
    What we need is more unemployed politicians.
    DK Firearms

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Campus carry has been legal since August 1, 2016 for all state 4-year colleges and universities...

And given that only concealed carry is allowed, I don't see how it will be "interesting to see!"
    It's not just concealed carry. There are rules for each, but it is both.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    People carrying concealed even well have "tells" that they give to show it. It's not hard to spot someone carrying if you pay close attention. Few do it so naturally that it doesn't "show" either in fact or in mannerisms. Most who're newly carrying might as well be concealed carrying a puppy.

ALL campus carry will be concealed only, not both concealed and open.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I went to the discussion at my college on Campus Carry, the campus police chief was even there to help clarify. Open carry, including long guns, is allowed on campus but there is more restrictions, like none 1000 feet of the day care facility.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Easy Rider, State law forbids open carry of a handgun on college campuses. Your campus police chief is in error.

http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-46-035.html

<Text of (a-1) effective August 1, 2016>
    (a-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a partially or wholly visible handgun, regardless of whether the handgun is holstered, on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally or knowingly displays the handgun in plain view of another person:

(1) on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education;  or

(2) on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education.

- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-46-035.html#sthash.viSVydt9.dpuf

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Easy Rider, State law forbids open carry of a handgun on college campuses. Your campus police chief is in error.

http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-46-035.html

<Text of (a-1) effective August 1, 2016>
    (a-1) Notwithstanding Subsection (a), a license holder commits an offense if the license holder carries a partially or wholly visible handgun, regardless of whether the handgun is holstered, on or about the license holder's person under the authority of Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and intentionally or knowingly displays the handgun in plain view of another person:

(1) on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education;  or

(2) on any public or private driveway, street, sidewalk or walkway, parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education.

- See more at: http://codes.findlaw.com/tx/penal-code/penal-sect-46-035.html#sthash.viSVydt9.dpuf
    From what I've found it looks like you are right, but I do remember asking when referring to the daycare center, since it is in the same building as my office, labs and classrooms, about the 1000 ft rule and was specifically told that only applies to open carry. I could not enter the daycare with concealed, but I could walk around it.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Having known the police, and having been the police...the worst persons to ask what the law says is the police. Your best source is reading the law for yourself.

I once argued with a deputy sheriff about his saying I couldn't carry my gun to church...till I read him "the rest of the story"...he just hadn't read that far.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    It's a heckuva lot of fine print! I have to use a flashlight to read it-I need a Reader's Digest Giant Print copy!!!

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    When they stick their noses in, they ALWAYS screw it up.

When I was in elementary school, you'd carry your shotgun to school on the bus, store it in the unlocked coat closet, ride the bus with it to your friend's house...and hunt all weekend. Monday do it all again. Shells in your bag and never a word said. My, have times changed!!! (they drink beer in what used to be my principal's office, too. Cut the school up into businesses/apartments a few years ago.)

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It's kind of amusing, you can carry an AR around much of the campus, but hide those evil handguns dammit!

Better read the law a little closer...

Sec. 46.03. PLACES WEAPONS PROHIBITED. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, illegal knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):

(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:

(B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;

To summarize, firearms are prohibited on the physical premises of a school or educational institution; but if a person has a license (LTC/CHL) they are allowed to carry a concealed handgun.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Better read the law a little closer...

To summarize, firearms are prohibited on the physical premises of a school or educational institution; but if a person has a license (LTC/CHL) they are allowed to carry a concealed handgun.
    And by school you mean college/university, right?

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    But it's to your advantage to double-check everything...they won't be standing before a judge when you act on their bad information.(Nor would they likely give you written permission to have your long gun on campus like the law allows them to do.) Good example of why not to trust but read it yourself in the law. Get that rock-solid foundation under you then you can't be shaken.

RodKo40S&W

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 9, 2017
    Austin,Texas
    A new member to TGT and am enjoying the discussion. Some well thought out speculation. Even though the numbers you come up with may seem small, having the right to carry is the most important element. Also why I prefer concealed carry to open carry; like the old adage goes, better to be thought a fool than to open you mouth and remove all doubt: I would rather have someone wonder if I was carrying than put a target on my back by displaying my weapon. With the "wild west" mentality that the media helps promote in Texas, criminals, who tend to be paranoid anyway, that are casing an establishment and sees about 25 people, will probably figure 20 of them are carrying, unless he sees that unfortunate "no guns allowed" sign.

Top Bottom