Hurley's Gold

How much does trigger pull count for you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    I really hope that's not a dumb question. I'm a newbie to both this forum and guns (well, about 1 yr of shooting, teaching myself for the most part) so there's a lot I don't know. But I did find out the hard way that when it comes to handguns, 'light' and 'small' translated to 'painful' and 'unpleasant' for me. I started with a S&W 642 airweight DA .38 special. Just loved the look and feel of it, until I shot it! The recoil was horrendous and the trigger pull is extremely tight, which I realize is the point since it's the only safety feature, but I've decided that under duress I would not feel comfortable shooting it. The other gun we had when we first started was the Ruger LC9, which is great for concealing on the person, especially a female, but again, that long trigger pull is a little off-putting.

Then we got the full size Ruger SR9, and I felt like Goldilocks who had found her perfect bowl of porridge! That was my first lesson in trigger pull mechanics, and how much difference it makes, at least to me. I'm a small person with very small hands, short fingers, etc. That probably doesn't make a difference after much practice. I went to the range today (by myself for the first time; I usually go with my husband) and practiced with the LC9 quite a bit. I took the Daddy Ruger too, as we call it, for when I just wanted that buttery trigger pull! Now I really want the SR9c, because it seems to have the same close, easy trigger as the full size, the non-extended magazine makes the grip a perfect fit for my hand, and it's a good purse-carrying size. Anyway, long story even longer, I wondered if this trigger obsession is common or is it just me getting used to different gun sizes? I guess most people would prefer an easier, more accurate pull where they can get it, but I wonder where it falls in the relevance scale.

Does trigger pull make a significant difference to you? Thanks in advance for your feedback; I do value it.
    Capitol Armory ad

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    As you practice more and gain experience in the self defense arena, I think your opinion on "under duress I would not feel comfortable shooting it" will flip-flop and you'll know that you can shoot ANYTHING if your life depends on it. :) Practice more with a full-sized revolver, one where you can handle the recoil, and you'll get used to the heavier pull of revolvers' DA triggers.

For me, the pull weight of a particular trigger is secondary (within reason) to a clean, smooth trigger. How much pull weight a person can deal with is going to vary greatly, depending on the shooter's hand/finger strength, but nobody wants a trigger that is unnecessarily heavy.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    It depends on what you want to achieve. If you are wanting to shoot small diameter holes in paper target at 15 yards or less, then yes trigger pull weight and type are important. If you want to carry a weapon for your personal safety, then a good double action pistol with a trigger pull in excess of 8 lbs. is the way to go. Light triggers for the times when you have plenty of time to aim and squeeze, and a longer heavier trigger for those times when you need to get your pistol into action in a hurry. A light trigger on a personal carry weapon can result in you potentially shooting yourself (leg or foot) or some innocent by stander. All of my 1911s have triggers that have been modified to break clean (like a glass rod) at 3 to 3.5 pounds. My carry pistol is a double action CZ 75 P01. If I have to every use it I can gaurantee you I won't be thinking about the trigger pull characteristics or any felt recoil associated with this small pistol!

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    In my world, my Glocks have the "worst" trigger I am willing to accept. Every trigger must be the same or better.

I prefer a crisp 2.5# 1911 trigger, but can live with my Glocks ~ 5# trigger.

Tapatalk sent it.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Trigger pull does matter to me in that I can tolerate a long smooth pull on a nice revolver but not on a semi auto pocket pistol such as the lcp or the keltec pf9. I prefer sao 1911 type triggers but I can live with a nice doa trigger as found on kahr pm9.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 2

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    As you practice more and gain experience in the self defense arena, I think your opinion on "under duress I would not feel comfortable shooting it" will flip-flop and you'll know that you can shoot ANYTHING if your life depends on it. :) Practice more with a full-sized revolver, one where you can handle the recoil, and you'll get used to the heavier pull of revolvers' DA triggers.

For me, the pull weight of a particular trigger is secondary (within reason) to a clean, smooth trigger. How much pull weight a person can deal with is going to vary greatly, depending on the shooter's hand/finger strength, but nobody wants a trigger that is unnecessarily heavy.

This. It also depends on how you're going to use the gun.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Trigger pull does not have a huge impact on my overall impression of a firearm unless it is just so terrible that it overshadows the performance. Obviously smoother is better... More or less pull is OK.

jfrey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Coastal Texas
    Once I get past certain asthetics trigger pull is the next big consideration for me. I don't like long heavy triggers on anything. I do have an LCP for occassial carry but most of the time I carry a G19 with a very good 4# trigger or my new Shield with a 4# trigger from Apex Tactical. My target 1911's have 2 1/2# and 3 # triggers for paper punching. Practice is the key to good shooting. I don't really think that basic trigger pull weight is going to be an issue if you ever have to use your gun for defensive purposes. Case in point: I have an old Remington BDL rifle in 30.06 that will stomp you on the shooting bench. When I take it hunting, I never feel it when it goes off. Your mind will be on other things than great trigger pull.

Dreamliner787

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Houston
    It depends on purpose and use. I have nothing against my Glocks but my Sigs have a lot better triggers. Does it affect performance, very slightly but not really unless you're a target competition markmen shooter, but then your tools would also be different.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    It depends on what you want to achieve. If you are wanting to shoot small diameter holes in paper target at 15 yards or less, then yes trigger pull weight and type are important. If you want to carry a weapon for your personal safety, then a good double action pistol with a trigger pull in excess of 8 lbs. is the way to go. Light triggers for the times when you have plenty of time to aim and squeeze, and a longer heavier trigger for those times when you need to get your pistol into action in a hurry. A light trigger on a personal carry weapon can result in you potentially shooting yourself (leg or foot) or some innocent by stander. All of my 1911s have triggers that have been modified to break clean (like a glass rod) at 3 to 3.5 pounds. My carry pistol is a double action CZ 75 P01. If I have to every use it I can gaurantee you I won't be thinking about the trigger pull characteristics or any felt recoil associated with this small pistol!

I have to completely disagree. The weight of the trigger should not be a deciding factor between everything being fine or negligently shooting someone. Following the typical firearm safety rules are what prevents that. We all need to have proper trigger finger indexes, be aware of where our muzzles are pointed, etc.

Everyone should be aiming and using the sights wherever possible, and if it's not possible (under ~3yds), that's what indexed retention fire is for. Not having a consistent index point for retention fire as well as randomly point shooting when there is plenty of time and opportunity to use aimed fire are bordering on negligence.

I think, to some degree, pull doesn't matter a whole lot as long as it's within an acceptable range. Personally, I'd say that range is roughly 4-8#, which covers a majority of modern semi-autos on the market, as well as just a few revolvers. There are guns with properly tuned triggers under 4#, and that's fine too. Too heavy of a trigger just makes everything more difficult and can increase the desire to yank the trigger. Shooting at speed, I don't think about the trigger most of the time and don't focus on riding the reset. Doubling the trigger pull weight or more makes it considerably more difficult to just shoot the gun and focus on more important things like target awareness, surroundings, etc. This is exactly like arguing about driving through a parking lot with a manual steering rack car, and then one with power steering. One is obviously much easier than the other and requires less focus on that task.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Trigger pull matters a lot to me, but that's because I mostly shoot animals or paper.

For self defense it doesn't really matter that much as long as it manageable and you're used to it. I love SW revolvers and 1911s, but carry a Glock 22 (manageable/decent) and an LCP (manageable/crappy) Not that big of a deal. Practice, practice, practice.

dalto

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2010
    Austin
    For me, personally, the trigger is one of the most important characteristics in choosing a firearm. Especially one I will carry.

I would also say that a gun with a lighter trigger is easier to learn to shoot initially.

Ultimately, it is a matter of personal preference.

That being said, the one thing I will never agree with is the thought that guns without a heavy trigger pull aren't "safe" for self-defense use. While I certainly wouldn't carry a gun with 1-2lb trigger, I frequently carry a gun with 3-4lb trigger and as long as I follow good gun handling and safety skills I don't expect that the gun mysteriously shoot me or other passers by.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If you want to carry a weapon for your personal safety, then a good double action pistol with a trigger pull in excess of 8 lbs. is the way to go. Light triggers for the times when you have plenty of time to aim and squeeze, and a longer heavier trigger for those times when you need to get your pistol into action in a hurry. A light trigger on a personal carry weapon can result in you potentially shooting yourself (leg or foot) or some innocent by stander.

Keep your booger hooker off the gas pedal, and it won't shoot anything until you decide to hit the go button.

To say otherwise is catering to the lowest common denominator.
    I am tired of all the nanny controls, warning labels, locks, safeties, etc.
    Remove em all, and let natural selection run its course.

Tapatalk sent it.

OLDVET

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Richardson, Texas
    There is a lot of smart mouth talking happening in this thread. We all know how to handle fire arms under the "usual calm" conditions. A friend of mine is a retired Fort Worth detective and he said he has seen a few occassions during his career where police officers under duress have drawn their fireams and shot unintentionally. Sometimes self inflected gun shots have occured. I stand by my previous statement Mr. Administrator. Gun companies put heavy triggers on duty style weapons to keep idiots from shooting themselves. If some spaced out junkie has a knife or pistol pointed at you, you are not going to think to yourself, I must draw my weapon, keep my finger off of the trigger, and point it in a safe manner while I carefully aim it. My detective friend had a shoot out with a convience store robber at less than 10 feet. He says to this day all he can remember is looking at the bore of the bad guy's pistol. He said it looked like a cannon. Turns out it was a 9mm. He can't remember drawing his duty pistol or even how many rounds he fired. So much for all of that peace time training. The trigger on my CZ has a long double action take up similar to a Kahr. I have never checked the trigger pull weight, but it is probably in the 6-8 pound range.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    If you train to keep your booger hooker off the trigger, your finger doesn't magically pull the trigger under stress. It's a subconscious movement, which is why you don't remember it. Some call it muscle memory, but it's your brain not your muscles. Train how you want to fight, or surely you will fight how you train.

That's my smart brain moving my smart finger doing the smart mouth talking

Tapatalk sent it.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    I believe imo, the heavy ass dao guns promote bad habbits like keeping finger on trigger. I had a keltec, and some of my not to gun friends couldn't even pull the damn trigger. If I was worried about nd I would get something that decocks like a sig. At least the follow up shots will have a good trigger pull.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There is a lot of smart mouth talking happening in this thread. We all know how to handle fire arms under the "usual calm" conditions. A friend of mine is a retired Fort Worth detective and he said he has seen a few occassions during his career where police officers under duress have drawn their fireams and shot unintentionally.

Sorry - but I'm gonna stand up and say that your detective buddy worked for a department with officers that had NO business carrying. The ONLY time a finger goes on a trigger is when you have decided to decimate/destroy/kill a target - and not a moment before then. As long as that long-standing training basic is observed, it doesn't matter how light the trigger is.

I can tell you that in my one non-military "live fire" incident, I put three rounds out - a double-tap and a single - with a Dan Wesson .357 - in DA. You could cover the impact point (chest) with a quarter. To this day, I can tell you the shots, the reaction of the perp, an' what I did next....but don't recall the actual pulling of the trigger at all. At the time, I was shooting w/it routinely, and 99% of all my guns were wheel guns. Training and weapons familiarity is what's gonna dictate what you do.

I can tell you that I automatically dumped the cylinder and reloaded as soon as I felt sure that another shot wasn't going to be necessary. To this day, I can't tell you *why* I did so, other than my mentality was always to be at max load.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    For range work, a good trigger yields a vast improvement in accuracy.

For self-defense work, consider the post immediately above.

Top Bottom