Patriot Mobile

How much does trigger pull count for you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    A good trigger in trained hands will trump a bad trigger in the same hands.

Personal example: The trigger is the primary reason I'm going to get a P923 after some pennies are saved. The kel-tec PF9 will go after that.

If you don't practice. It really does't matter then does it?

Good Trigger: Light, smooth and most importantly predictable.

Bad Trigger: Heavy where the barrel goes down when muscles are used to pull, rough enough where it jitters before tripping the sear. Unpredictable, don't know how far the reset is or where to pull to stage the trigger.

My kel-tec PF9 has the worse trigger in my collection. I've used snap caps and range time to learn how to stage the trigger to keep those sights on the target while shooting it.

As far as anyone putting their finger on the trigger. Watch and learn:

Venture Surplus ad

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    There is a lot of smart mouth talking happening in this thread. We all know how to handle fire arms under the "usual calm" conditions. A friend of mine is a retired Fort Worth detective and he said he has seen a few occassions during his career where police officers under duress have drawn their fireams and shot unintentionally. Sometimes self inflected gun shots have occured. I stand by my previous statement Mr. Administrator. Gun companies put heavy triggers on duty style weapons to keep idiots from shooting themselves. If some spaced out junkie has a knife or pistol pointed at you, you are not going to think to yourself, I must draw my weapon, keep my finger off of the trigger, and point it in a safe manner while I carefully aim it. My detective friend had a shoot out with a convience store robber at less than 10 feet. He says to this day all he can remember is looking at the bore of the bad guy's pistol. He said it looked like a cannon. Turns out it was a 9mm. He can't remember drawing his duty pistol or even how many rounds he fired. So much for all of that peace time training. The trigger on my CZ has a long double action take up similar to a Kahr. I have never checked the trigger pull weight, but it is probably in the 6-8 pound range.

Not sure if you realized, but you just called those cops idiots. I can't fault you, since they apparently didn't bother training correctly, if at all.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Sorry - but I'm gonna stand up and say that your detective buddy worked for a department with officers that had NO business carrying. The ONLY time a finger goes on a trigger is when you have decided to decimate/destroy/kill a target - and not a moment before then. As long as that long-standing training basic is observed, it doesn't matter how light the trigger is.

I can tell you that in my one non-military "live fire" incident, I put three rounds out - a double-tap and a single - with a Dan Wesson .357 - in DA. You could cover the impact point (chest) with a quarter. To this day, I can tell you the shots, the reaction of the perp, an' what I did next....but don't recall the actual pulling of the trigger at all. At the time, I was shooting w/it routinely, and 99% of all my guns were wheel guns. Training and weapons familiarity is what's gonna dictate what you do.

I can tell you that I automatically dumped the cylinder and reloaded as soon as I felt sure that another shot wasn't going to be necessary. To this day, I can't tell you *why* I did so, other than my mentality was always to be at max load.

Hey, when you only have 6 to work with, you might as well throw fresh ones in there when you get the chance.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    To me personally, a smooth trigger pull is important (weight of the trigger pull doesn't matter that much to me, as long as its smooth), but a short reset that I can feel in my finger tip really enhances my shooting pleasure. It also enhances how fast I can make follow-up shots.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    In a live or die scenario, the trigger pull is much less of a concern than: Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.

When it is time to Act, the trigger will be pulled, no matter how difficult, because adrenaline will prevail.

Just be sure you are sure of your observation, orientation, and decision before you pull the trigger!

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    In a live or die scenario, the trigger pull is much less of a concern than: Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.

When it is time to Act, the trigger will be pulled, no matter how difficult, because adrenaline will prevail.

Just be sure you are sure of your observation, orientation, and decision before you pull the trigger!

I agree with you on the OODA, but I still maintain that a good trigger is important for keeping the sights on "target" in a bad situation.

Tapatalk sent it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I agree with you on the OODA, but I still maintain that a good trigger is important for keeping the sights on "target" in a bad situation.

Tapatalk sent it.

It can be. IMO, it's kind of hard to keep an LCP on target because of the tiny grip and heavy trigger pull. I tend to throw shots low with them, and I'm definitely not a double action noob.

sanspeu1r

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Filer, Idaho
    Love single action, but my KelTec P3AT has a long trigger pull. If I want to be accurate with it, I have practiced "Taking the slack Out" to leave just a short pull to complete the shot. At all times this happens on target, but greatly increases accuracy. My 1911 trigger pull is awesome.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Love single action, but my KelTec P3AT has a long trigger pull. If I want to be accurate with it, I have practiced "Taking the slack Out" to leave just a short pull to complete the shot. At all times this happens on target, but greatly increases accuracy. My 1911 trigger pull is awesome.

I almost got a keltec. The deal breaker was the looooooooooooooooooong trigger reset. As in, let it all the way out.
    I just don't shoot like that. I prefer a 1911 trigger, but live with and make do with my Glock for carry.

Tapatalk sent it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio

The problem with staging a double action trigger is that the odds of being able to fight that way are extremely low, especially on follow up shots.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I'm a very experienced pistol shooter so trigger pull means little to me unless it's just horrendous and then I won't fool with the pistol at all. Given a couple of minutes of dry firing, I can adapt to just about anything as long as the pistol fits me reasonably well.

I agree with all of the posts but, as usual, have a different point of view. For CHL use, I do a number of things differently. I am primarily a bulls eye shooter but I will NOT carry a bulls eye gun for SD. Here some other "spostas" and "gottas" for me:

First, I don't carry a used gun. My carry pistols were all purchased brand new from a dealer. If I get into an incident, there is a paper trail and no unpleasant surprises over where the gun had been before I got it.

Second, I prefer a heavy trigger pull for concealed carry. When the lawyers get through with a bulls eye appropriate trigger pull, it will be termed a "Hair Trigger" and I don't need that crap.

Third, I might change grips but never jack with the mechanism, change springs, get a "trigger job" or any other mods to the carry gun. That's an open invitation for liability/negligence problems.

Fourth, I keep the CHL gun well maintained, clean and free of accumulated garbage.

Fifth, I carry only factory ammunition even though I reload. Again, I don't open the door to liability/negligence questions.

Flash

bagged02

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Granbury, TX "South Ft.Worth"
    Keltec Pf9 owner. In no way do I ever want a gun where it has anything remotley different. I believe it has a 8# if correct. I want to make sure when I pull the trigger, I AM MEANING TO PULL THE TRIGGEr. or stupid accidents like somehow it falling or catching something on your shirt or belt. Light trigger = maybe carried by your family at a quiete ceremony that you dont want to go to yet.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I have yet to see a single case of anyone being wrongly convicted in a defensive shooting, where they had a legally modified gun. Not to say prosecutors won't try, but I think people get a bit too in depth on their concern with this sort of stuff. On my CHL guns, I usually replace the sights with acceptable aftermarket sights that are up to the task (robust, allow one-handed manipulation, etc.) and I sometimes make internal modifications that enhance my performance and that I can effectively utilize. I can run a stock gun just fine. Once you can, there's nothing wrong with making relevant upgrades that enhance your ability to effectively use it. One thing to keep in mind is, many years ago there was a gentleman from some northeastern state that was convicted in a defensive shooting. IIRC, I think it was New Jersey, or somewhere around there. He was convicted on the basis that he used JHP's, which the prosecutor convinced the jury showed he had some evil intent to cause outrageous harm and pain to people. The kicker? Had the defense attorney just posed one question, he likely would never have been convicted. The question: What is the current department issued JHP for the local law enforcement agency? (It was the same exact type) Just goes to show, don't "what if" yourself into an ineffective gun or carry setup through some fear of litigation. Worry about surviving and using the most effective (for you) tools for the job.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    First, I don't carry a used gun. My carry pistols were all purchased brand new from a dealer. If I get into an incident, there is a paper trail and no unpleasant surprises over where the gun had been before I got it.

I don't worry about such things...the odds of it being a problem w/prior owners is slim - and there will be other more pressing issues at hand.

Second, I prefer a heavy trigger pull for concealed carry. When the lawyers get through with a bulls eye appropriate trigger pull, it will be termed a "Hair Trigger" and I don't need that crap.

Could you please provide an example case where this issue applies?

Third, I might change grips but never jack with the mechanism, change springs, get a "trigger job" or any other mods to the carry gun. That's an open invitation for liability/negligence problems.

Other than the fact the gun went "bang", what's going to be any different? Again, please tell me where this has ever come into play....

Fourth, I keep the CHL gun well maintained, clean and free of accumulated garbage.

Yep

Fifth, I carry only factory ammunition even though I reload. Again, I don't open the door to liability/negligence questions.

Again...can you tell me where that's come into play?

I'm not really arguing w/ya - just doin' some clarifying, because those would all seem to be legitimate concerns on the surface, but the fact of the matter is that they really aren't....used to have the same concerns, myself.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The problem with staging a double action trigger is that the odds of being able to fight that way are extremely low, especially on follow up shots.

Totally agree here. I've never understood why people practice trigger staging with a revolver they intend to use for defense (unless they are testing ammo for accuracy reasons).

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    Well, I didn't mean to get anybody worked up! I know there are a lot of opinions on these things. For myself I've decided that trigger pull is pretty important, if only because my hands and fingers are small and apparently a little weak. I'm training myself almost exclusively on a Ruger SR9 and I feel the most comfortable with it. I'm completely satisfied with the safety features and don't feel I'm in danger of accidentally shooting myself or another person. I'm more concerned about not being able to effectively pull back that 13# or 15# (not sure what it is but it's high) on the S&W .38 I initially wanted to carry. Especially if, for any reason, one hand / arm was incapacitated and I had to shoot one handed. I can shoot the Ruger one handed, right or left, if need be, and I can't even come close to that with the revolver. The trigger on the other carry weapon I was considering, the LC9, is light-ish but very long, and I can shoot it (very inaccurately) with my dominant hand but not at all with my left for some reason. I'm sure practice would help that, but I've already decided against the LC9. Definitely going with the SR9c for carry. Not until I posted here did I start learning about the actual trigger pull / pounds, so I've learned a lot from the feedback. Thank you!!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    The OP asked for my opinion and I offered it. If you don't agree, that's just fine. I don't need to justify my opinion and have nothing to add to my previous post. Agree with my opinion or don't. It makes no difference to me.

Flash

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    The OP asked for my opinion and I offered it. If you don't agree, that's just fine. I don't need to justify my opinion and have nothing to add to my previous post. Agree with my opinion or don't. It makes no difference to me.

Flash

Totally understood. I think it's just a matter of some of your comments reading as being based on factual data rather than opinion. Thanks for clarifying.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    factual data rather than opinion.

I sat in a courtroom as a witness in a liability case where a girl got her eye shot out with a bow and arrow. We were all friends but she still lost her eye. I saw first hand how courtroom lawyers twist and distort every tiny portion of the truth. My opinion reflects a reaction to that experience.

Flash

Top Bottom