How much does trigger pull count for you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Whatever you get, just make sure you can make good hits with it.

If not, you won't get to argue about evil JHP vs FMJ over penetration or other such silly things.
    Capitol Armory ad

Danton

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Trigger pull is pretty important to me. It's no coincidence that I'm much more accurate with my 1911's than my Kahrs, Glocks, etc. That's not entirely due to the trigger, but it's a big part.

While I want desperately to agree with someone bearing the TGT name of OLDVET, I have to go with Sig_Fiend and Redneck (as usual). OLDVET's point is valid in an extremely close range engagement, but it's proper firearm discipline that will keep you from sending rounds where you don't want them to go. I realize that's far easier said than done in a high-stress scenario, since none of us really know how we'll react the first time the SHTF. But if stress in an engagement will cause you to ignore that discipline, is it then feasible to assume you'll be capable of placing lead where you want it with a heavy trigger pull? I can't say it would be for me. I also think predicating your carry choice on trigger pull because accuracy will catagorically not be a factor is a dangerous way of looking at it. Stats will likely tell you that if you need to defend yourself with a firearm it'll be at very close range. But what if you are engaged at 10 or 15+ yards? What if the BG takes some form of cover, and your only shot is to a small exposed area of his anatomy? Yes, we can "what if" it to death, and most likely those scenarios are low probability. But they still exist, and I'm going to carry the weapon that gives me the highest probability of placing rounds appropriately.

Basing one's carry decisions on potential legal ramifications doesn't work for me either. Saving my own bacon, or that of loved ones or innocent bystanders, would be difficult enough, I would assume, without the added constraints of grand jury approved sights, triggers, etc.

Practice is the only way to maximize your ability to defend yourself with a firearm, and identifying those weapons that you actually enjoy taking to the range and can continually improve your proficiency with is the way to go. For me, that includes trigger pull.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    But I did find out the hard way that when it comes to handguns, 'light' and 'small' translated to 'painful' and 'unpleasant' for me.

That should be a sticky in the Noob area. Its kind of like asking how the recoil is in a .357 Mag.
    Well, it depends are you shooting it out of this?:
    images

Or this?:
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQX9cLBiOLgr_TxmXH5GgNm7CLFRQ6IsdyeUzdRTX93SKzqIlAeGA.jpg

The difference is about 2 pounds and is very significant.

Sorry you learned that the hard way.

As for triggers, in my experience, the SR9C has a better trigger than the SR9. Not by a lot, but it is noticeable. However if you like the trigger on a SR9, you will love others more. Most 1911s without any work are MUCH nicer as an example. You should hit a range day with a bunch of members and try some different guns and their triggers. Sounds like fun to me.

You can see my full thoughts on the SR9C here:
    http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/handguns/25963-ruger-sr9c-review-range-report.html

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    Trigger weight doesn't matter to me but the length of pull does. I just want a trigger to be very short and break clean. All my pistols are SA or DA/SA for that reason.

Keri-Mike

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Little Elm, TX
    Trigger weight doesn't matter to me but the length of pull does. I just want a trigger to be very short and break clean. All my pistols are SA or DA/SA for that reason.

Agreed; same here. I don't like the Ruger LC9 because although the weight is low, the pull is long. I'm not nearly as comfortable with it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress

"Very short" and "the DA" of DA/SA fame are mutually exclusive.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Agreed; same here. I don't like the Ruger LC9 because although the weight is low, the pull is long. I'm not nearly as comfortable with it.

Long and/or heavy trigger pulls are common with pocket pistols, though. It makes it less likely to go off in your pocket if your car key gets snagged on the trigger or something...

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Trigger Pull means nothing if you've trained with the piece you will carry.

An adrenaline rush will often overcome judgement.

kabob

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2012
    Dallas
    "Very short" and "the DA" of DA/SA fame are mutually exclusive.

True enough, and that's why I very rarely (almost never, actually) shoot DA. They're not my carry weapons so no need to bother. My carry piece is a single-action only Sig P238 that I carry cocked and locked.

Top Bottom