How often do you practice pistol shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How often do you practice shooting a pistol?

• Multiple times a week! I have ammo for days baby!

Votes: 5 7.4%
    • At least once a week.

Votes: 11 16.2%
    • I try to get a good session in every month.

Votes: 39 57.4%
    • Maybe every 6 months, I'm not big on shooting pistols.

Votes: 8 11.8%
    • Glock Boyz Unite!!!

Votes: 5 7.4%

• Total voters

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    An instructor i know was telling me about the red dot thing, from what i remember it technically doesn't allow it (it was meant to disqualify lasers) but lots of instructor's were allowing RD's anyways.

I've never seen an instructor require a DA shot, and I don't recall anything like that during my NRA instructor class.

Hell, most of the others taking that class couldn't shoot the loaner 9mm 1911 or the model 10 worth a damn anways. I'd hate to see them wrestle with a DA/SA auto

Yeah, seriously at the end of the day, with a red dot, striker fired or DA/SA, I think 3 of those dudes seriously need to work on their grip, breathing, and trigger pull. Probably solve 90% of their accuracy problems.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yeah, apparently you can.

But you can't qualify with a red dot, you have to turn it off, or use one of their stock pistols.

And if you're shooting a DA/SA pistol, you have to do at least one of the fire drills using a DA pull. Those were the rules explained in the class.

Sounds like the instructor is significantly deviating from the legal requirements.

Reactions: BBL

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    Sounds like the instructor is significantly deviating from the legal requirements.

I don't know what the minimum requirements are, but to be honest, I didn't think any of what he asked was unreasonable. After all, it's his signature that's going on the LTC 100 paperwork saying that the person was "qualified".

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yeah, seriously at the end of the day, with a red dot, striker fired or DA/SA, I think 3 of those dudes seriously need to work on their grip, breathing, and trigger pull. Probably solve 90% of their accuracy problems.

The problem with a red dot is that it may not be zero’d. I rented an P365XL with the R0 over the winter. That thing put a 50 round ragged hole essentially on the right hip of a B27 target when aiming at the X.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I don't know what the minimum requirements are, but to be honest, I didn't think any of what he asked was unreasonable. After all, it's his signature that's going on the LTC 100 paperwork saying that the person was "qualified".

No, it’s the state’s name is on the LTC. The state qualifies a person and that includes more than just shooting a target and passing a written test.

If an License holder later fûcks up, the LTC instructor doesn’t get dinged, fined, or otherwise penalized.

SinCityVogel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2022
    Fort Worth
    I don't know how you guys afford all this shooting

I'm lucky if I get 1 a month

Most people never practice and have no training. They think they can just point and shoot

Last edited:

CaliGunner

I'm out
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2022
    Texas
    No, it’s the state’s name is on the LTC. The state qualifies a person and that includes more than just shooting a target and passing a written test.

If an License holder later fûcks up, the LTC instructor doesn’t get dinged, fined, or otherwise penalized.

That may be true, but I'm literally looking at my LTC 100 paper work and it says under the "Proficiency Demonstration" portion:
    "My signature verifies the above named individual has successfully demonstrated proficiency using the required course of fire for a Texas License to Carry a Handgun."

LTC Instructor (Printed) / Instructor License # / Instructor Signature / Completion Date

Like I said, I don't know the "legality" behind having it formatted that way, but it certainly makes clear who the instructor was, and that they are signing and confirming the applicant is "proficient", whatever that legally means in Texas.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That may be true, but I'm literally looking at my LTC 100 paper work and it says under the "Proficiency Demonstration" portion:

Like I said, I don't know the "legality" behind having it formatted that way, but it certainly makes clear who the instructor was, and that they are signing and confirming the applicant is "proficient", whatever that legally means in Texas.

Texas Government Code Sec. 411.188. HANDGUN PROFICIENCY REQUIREMENT.
    (a) The director by rule shall establish minimum standards for handgun proficiency and shall develop a course to teach handgun proficiency and examinations to measure handgun proficiency. The course to teach handgun proficiency is required for each person who seeks to obtain a license and must contain training sessions divided into two parts. One part of the course must be classroom instruction and the other part must be range instruction and an actual demonstration by the applicant of the applicant's ability to safely and proficiently use a handgun. An applicant must be able to demonstrate, at a minimum, the degree of proficiency that is required to effectively operate a handgun. The department shall distribute the standards, course requirements, and examinations on request to any qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider seeking to administer the course or a part of the course as described by Subsection (b).
    (b) Only qualified handgun instructors may administer the range instruction part of the handgun proficiency course. A qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider may administer the classroom instruction part of the handgun proficiency course. The classroom instruction part of the course must include not less than four hours and not more than six hours of instruction on:
    (1) the laws that relate to weapons and to the use of deadly force;
    (2) handgun use and safety, including use of restraint holsters and methods to ensure the secure carrying of openly carried handguns;
    (3) nonviolent dispute resolution; and
    (4) proper storage practices for handguns with an emphasis on storage practices that eliminate the possibility of accidental injury to a child.

Here’s the rule in the Texas administrative code:

Texas Administrative Code
    TITLE 37 PUBLIC SAFETY AND CORRECTIONS
    PART 1 TEXAS DEPARTMENT OF PUBLIC SAFETY
    CHAPTER 6 LICENSE TO CARRY HANDGUNS
    SUBCHAPTER B ELIGIBILITY AND APPLICATION PROCEDURES FOR A LICENSE TO CARRY A HANDGUN
    RULE §6.14 Proficiency Requirements
    (a) The figure in this section provides the proficiency demonstration requirements applicable to applicants for either a license to carry a handgun or certification as a qualified handgun instructor.
    Attached Graphic - https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/fids/201700716-1.pdf

(b) A handgun license applicant must score at least 70% on both the written examination and the proficiency examination.
    (c) A handgun license applicant will have three opportunities to pass the written examination and the proficiency examination within a 12 month period.
    (d) The qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider must submit all examination failures to the department on the class completion notification. The notification must indicate if the failure occurred after the handgun license applicant had been given three opportunities to pass the examinations.
    (e) On successful completion of the written or proficiency examinations, the qualified handgun instructor or approved online course provider, as applicable, shall certify the handgun license applicant has established his or her proficiency on the form and in the manner determined by the department.
    (f) All LTC-100 and LTC-101 certificates of training are valid for two years from the date of issuance. Any certificate of training that is required in conjunction with an application must be valid on the date the completed application is submitted to the department.
    (g) The qualified handgun instructor shall require all handgun license applicants complete the range instruction part of the handgun proficiency course before allowing a physical demonstration of handgun proficiency.
    Source Note: The provisions of this §6.14 adopted to be effective March 15, 2017, 42 TexReg 1137; amended to be effective January 11, 2018, 43 TexReg 236; amended to be effective November 4, 2021, 46 TexReg 7423; amended to be effective March 3, 2022, 47 TexReg 951

Reactions: gll

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    I don't know how you guys afford all this shooing

I'm lucky if I get 1 a month

Most people never practice and have no training. They think they can just point and shoot
    And it's proven that so many can do just that. Pretty much like all else in life I guess you've just never wittnessed it. Hell I saw a guy painting French windows with a brush in each hand. Think about that.

Last edited:

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    One of the reasons I moved to East TX on my own land, was to have my own range & to be able to shoot whenever i wanted. This whole covid shit really has fucked me. The job I transfered for let me go a month & half after relocating because they couldn't afford to pay me, due to covid. Now I'm working for half the money & have to drive twice as far for work. Yeah I stocked up on some ammo, but I shoot pistol more than anything & my 9mm ammo stash is dwindling. I've got enough to reload about 4k 9mm, but I'm reluctant to load it right now just to blow off & have to buy more expensive ammo or reloading supplies.

The plus side of the new job making less is I do get discounts but I make less money & 100 mile round trip per day kicks my ass in gas money the last several months, which effects my ammo buying $$$. But I can only blame myself for buying more guns instead of ammo the last year. In the year I've been at the new job, I've bought 5 guns...lol.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I practice dry fire training a lot. Actually live fire is once or twice every other week. I have a weird working schedule.

The comments about the da/sa work for the ltc qual was what I experienced back when I had my Texas ccw permit. I used a old Ruger P95 for that. Had to decock after every string of fire.

Was no big deal to me because that’s how I trained with it anyway.

Sounds like the new ltc qual is modeled after the AZ one. You could do it with a .22 if you choose to do so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Top Bottom