Guns International

I’m just gonna come right out and say it...........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    Apparently some of y'all don't know how to cook a turkey. Brining, the proper aromatics, and proper temperatures make them very tasty.

Yep. I'd go further and say that they have NEVER had a properly prepared turkey.

Much like the people that have had properly impropared seafood, starting with past prime, one step away from rotten, overcooked and not prepared to highlight it's accolades, are tainted snobs that hate seafood, but actually have never had it not ruined.

For you venison and beef lovers: I guarantee you that I can purposely screw it up, that if you only ate it ONCE a year, you would hate it too.

The normal turkey is #1: not the best free range, or a wild one, but the cheapest one available, not brined, and hopelessly overcooked and underseasoned. Venison and beef are pretty much inedible given the same preparation. Don't get me started on seafood.

I only had room in my freezer for a couple, or I would have a half dozen in there now. I know where to get smoked turkey from some good BBQ joints, so I eat it a lot. One thing that wasn't mentioned was turkey divan, a tasty way to use up a ruined turkey.

I think it's sad that predudice based on false conceptions would taint a time honored tradition, because women's lib and the interruption of family succesion of traditional skills has interrupted the ability to prepare a turkey.

It almost bothers me as much as calling it "TURKEY DAY", instead of THANKSGIVING! Or X-MASS!!!!

It's about giving thanks, and HOPEFULLY, being able to share the day with family and friends, so eat the damn turkey and like it....or, research and learn how to prepare one properly, and love it.

SloppyShooter

Certifiable
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2018
    White Settlement, Texas
    ... I'll still be thankful to eat. :)

You said a "mouthful" there. I'm thankful to be breathing. I wish I could eat half of the thanksgiving feast. I can still eat the dressing, the turkey, the sweet potato casserole, and the cranberry sauce, soooo, what do I have to complain about? Doggone it, I would love me some pecan pie, or stuffed jalapenos....but life goes on.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The turkey has just about cooled to room temperature. It's a hair over 8#. So, that's 20 mins a pound. 160 minutes..

Basted every 30 mins. Stuffing is added later.

RoadRunner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2018
    Here
    uqp7ss6vuvz11.png

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Man...I gotta go in there and baste this thing every 30 Damn minutes.

I wouldn't care as much but I'm cooking ghetto. $2 pan with foil on top. I gotta pull the foil to baste the basturd. I guess that's why they make turkey pans with a top. I'm behind the curve on this.

Dad_Roman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2018
    Teague
    You should be doing the paper grocery sack method. Put in bag, ours was always stuffed and around 25 lbs so it took about six hours due to size. Anyways, roast till up to temp, strip off bag (on top), brown for 15-30 min to your liking...done. No basting, all the muss & fuss is in the prep.
    Always use butterball for best internal results. ULTRA moist inside. (no OOC pls)

My Mommas secret, whos dear old soul is long gone so no dissing...
    crying-face_1f622.png

sharkey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    turkey pretty much sucks.

It’s better the second day on a sammich with mayo and some peppper.
    Heretic! It is great the first time around especially if smoked and just as good that night as a sammich.....with mustard.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Top Bottom