I’m just gonna come right out and say it...........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The dry brine made mine taste as juicy as fried chicken. Best turkey I've cooked up to this point.

Neighbor and his female roommate came and ate too. They brought cake and Mac& cheese. Sent a bunch back with him.

We'll both be eating turkey for a few days.

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    I can stand turkey either, unless it's a leg or thigh. There was one time I had turkey that was pretty good, it was a cajun, deep fried turkey. Meat was injected with spices and such before cooking and turned out pretty juicy and tasted awesome. I would much rather have a good smoked ham or brisket. This year and last, I made up a batch of crockpot squirrel, with some tators, onions and carrots. mmmmm, mighty tasty :D

Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    My neighbor brought us home made peach cobbler. It was so good, I felt a tear welling up in my eye.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fkpwebster.files.wordpress.com%2F2015%2F08%2Ftears_of_joy.jpg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Nobody has mentioned boiling as a method for preparing turkey. Now, hear me out.

If you want cheap, versatile protein, turkey is great. Throw a whole, thawed turkey into a very large pot with plenty of water to more than cover. Bring it to a fast boil, put on the lid, and let it boil for 3 hours. Turn off the heat and let it sit until the temperature is low enough to reach in and handle the turkey with your bare hands. Take off the lid, remove the bird, and debone it. Store the meat away.

Throw all the bones, skin, and everything else back into the pot and simmer it with the lid off until it reduces to a manageable quantity. Anything less than a gallon should work though I usually go further. Strain through cheesecloth into a tall, narrow container and refrigerate. Discard the bones; they've given their all. By the next day, the fat will have risen to the top and formed a solid plug. Discard the solidified fat. What's left is a flavorful aspic. Portion it out into small containers and freeze it.

What you're left with for all your trouble is pounds of good meat and a wonderful starter. You can literally combine a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a sizable portion of the aspic, and some meat in a pot, add water to cover, and simmer to create a very nice soup. Substitute a wok, delete the water, add the right spices and you have a great stir-fry to go over rice.

Turkey isn't my favorite meat, either, but it's a great staple when you're on a budget.

Note: The initial preparation method above uses turkey, water and heat with absolutely zero spice or seasoning. You will render the final product unusable if you add even a teaspoon of salt to the first boil.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I love turkey. Ate it for a late lunch yesterday and late dinner as sandwich with mustard. We’re about out of white meat so that may be it for me and leftovers. It it were available I’d still eat it for days. No ham for me, don’t care for it.

Parents moved to Mississippi two years ago and they don’t eat brisket very often so I brought one. It’s one of the pre-smoked ones from HEB but it’ll do in a pinch, that’s Friday’s meal.

sucker76

Don't let the username fool you
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 15, 2015
    Lake Jackson
    Nobody has mentioned boiling as a method for preparing turkey. Now, hear me out.

If you want cheap, versatile protein, turkey is great. Throw a whole, thawed turkey into a very large pot with plenty of water to more than cover. Bring it to a fast boil, put on the lid, and let it boil for 3 hours. Turn off the heat and let it sit until the temperature is low enough to reach in and handle the turkey with your bare hands. Take off the lid, remove the bird, and debone it. Store the meat away.

Throw all the bones, skin, and everything else back into the pot and simmer it with the lid off until it reduces to a manageable quantity. Anything less than a gallon should work though I usually go further. Strain through cheesecloth into a tall, narrow container and refrigerate. Discard the bones; they've given their all. By the next day, the fat will have risen to the top and formed a solid plug. Discard the solidified fat. What's left is a flavorful aspic. Portion it out into small containers and freeze it.

What you're left with for all your trouble is pounds of good meat and a wonderful starter. You can literally combine a bag of frozen mixed veggies, a sizable portion of the aspic, and some meat in a pot, add water to cover, and simmer to create a very nice soup. Substitute a wok, delete the water, add the right spices and you have a great stir-fry to go over rice.

Turkey isn't my favorite meat, either, but it's a great staple when you're on a budget.

Note: The initial preparation method above uses turkey, water and heat with absolutely zero spice or seasoning. You will render the final product unusable if you add even a teaspoon of salt to the first boil.

That kinda brings me back to childhood growing up with parents on shoestring budget. I dont remember turkey in the mix but that method with chicken was common.
    I am thankful I can have a smoked turkey these days.
    I'm not being negative Ben. I think we all forget the simple meal streatcher recipes when it comes to Thanksgiving. Reading that brought back some mixed memories of a good childhood.

Smoked or fried is still the way to go.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    I made a ham last night, wife had to work I also made sweet potato casserole that turned out great.
    Have plenty of hams and eggs for breakfast this week

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Turkey is good when prepared properly. I've heard Carp can be edible too.

Growing up is was known as an ethnic food. Mom would pressure cook Carp and make Carp patties. Same thing as Salmon patties but with carp instead.

The flavor is close to salmon when it's made that way. I say close in flavor but it's different. You can tell it's carp.

It's not bad at all.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Growing up is was known as an ethnic food. Mom would pressure cook Carp and make Carp patties. Same thing as Salmon patties but with carp instead.

The flavor is close to salmon when it's made that way. I say close in flavor but it's different. You can tell it's carp.
    It's not bad at all.

At A&M in the early 60's, used to put up a library pass on the dorm door and make the short trip to a small bar/smokehouse in Snook, TX to shoot pool, drink a beer or two and, most of all, take advantage of the opportunity to talk to the owner's two pretty daughter's ... there were no female students at A&M at the time.

The owner was famous around that part of the country for gill netting Buffalo carp in the Little Brazos river and smoking the meat. Many a night I helped him to unload a 1/2 ton pickup bed, with only four or five carp in it, that completely filled it to the top of step sided bed.

Many from Texas will recognize that families last name, unknown at the time, but now famous in Texas for Slovacek's Sausage.

Top Bottom