• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Nah, I'm thinking it's more like low rent caviar. Nobody likes it, but you force yourself to eat it to try and impress people.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    YOU ARE NOT OBLIGATED TO HAVING TO ACT LIKE A PRICK ALL THE TIME
    So his wife talking about shooting me is fine but my response is the one to bring your valued opinion into the mix?

Thanks for showing up to offer nothing like usual.

BTW your capslock button is stuck again. Or is it intentional to make your posts more annoying?

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Lots of us worked hard for what we have now or had in the past when we were younger or in our older years - retired.

Hobbies and tastes DO change for some of us.

Old age or not = sometimes physical disabilities become an issue.

Death of a spouse even BEFORE they get to retire and/or a move to another part of the country for a discussed ahead of time retirement - changes happen and people can make those things happen or not.

Adapt or not. Move or not.

Many, many of us did 'without' some things in life and saved up to buy some items.

SOME of us built most of our 'first house' too. We bought the land and went from there. NO trust fund baby here!

The saving up DEAL goes for furnishings, guns, ammunition, etc.

I could make up a VERY LONG list but I will not now when it comes to people mowing their own lawns, plowing their own snow, shovel/blow snow, and doing ALL kinds of stuff/work for themselves. They did not think of hiring it OUT especially while living in the boonies. BEEN there - done that!

My MT husband does the mowing and snow clearing now but I could HELP him do it if needed. Slow but sure. I did DO a lot of work on the land here when I first built this house. This is a town lot and not what I had 'back east'. I did almost ALL of the outside lawn/tree/bush/flower/garden work back east too. My late husband did some of it in the beginning but I ended up doing all of it because I actually LIKED doing that outside work. I did NOT use a chainsaw though. I used a SEARS Saws All and other TOOLS.

I do NOT think that the cashier was trying to cause the OP any distress.

I think that the OP took it wrong but that is how I see it. I could be wrong too.

And no, I do not need to be 'cussed at' or told to do something with a man's private parts as was said to the other man here.

I believe that THE CASHIER may have NOT known the price and was asking the OP a question OR the CASHIER was trying to be NICE by letting the OP know what the price was of the cake BEFORE she rung it up.

She may have done this for a NICE REASON since you were a customer. Maybe she came across wrong OR you took her wrong.

I was NOT there obviously.

Maybe they had many customers get HOME, really LOOK at their bill, BLOW a gasket and complain to the store about the price of the fruitcake!

I think that she mentioned the price question to you due to some past complaints OR that she needed a price check from you or a manager.

So that you would not get 'home' and look at your sales slip and get ticked off at the price of a fruit cake or ANY other item that you bought.

Side note:

I PERSONALLY DO NOT BUY any item NO MATTER WHAT IT IS in anything if I do NOT know the price of that item BEFORE it is rung up. I was EXACTLY like that as a KID, a teen, a young USN Nam era bride, a middle aged lady, a middle aged widow @ 51 years old and now @ 73 years old too!

And IF a clerk forgets to ring up an item or does not charge me enough MONEY for a product - I or we tell them and WE MAKE IT RIGHT and PAY THEM the extra money for a rung up wrong bill.

And if they charge too much for something - I or we tell them that too.

I ALWAYS look at the BILL and so does my husband.

I do not read bar codes as one poster said too.

So IF I really wanted something and had the MONEY to pay for that item and the PRICE was not on the shelf 'posted' or on the INDIVIDUAL ITEM - I would ASK THE CASHIER to scan the product so that I would KNOW the price or get a manager to check it out.

Then I would make the final decision if I wanted it or not BEFORE that one item or a large load of products would be rung up for a FINAL BILL.

But that IS me. Your mileage may vary - NO problem.

Speaking of toys and hobbies... sigh.

My late husband used HIS extra job money (Air NG Fighter Wing money plus he had a NON .gov regular job.) or his/her EXTRA SAVINGS for his sail and power boats. Both of us enjoyed his boats over the years.

My late husband only owned about 5 guns TOTAL in HIS entire life and they were only in 22lr and 357Magnum calibers too. HIS choice. HIS guns! I used one of them for a LONG time as a 'house gun' too. Protection for me or us - it was in a DAN WESSON famous style d/a revolver - Dan Wesson. Beautiful gun and I understood it.
    This was LONG BEFORE I really got INTO guns on my own too.

He wore a TIMEX watch. Uh huh. He did have an old Bulova watch way back when he was a kid or teen.

BOTH of us worked hard and I believe that MOST people on this forum did and still do work hard.

As far as menu ordering goes... I want to KNOW what something costs BEFORE I ORDER IT.

That goes for any item including prices for bricks, the colors, the textures and types of BRICKS and contracts for PROFESSIONAL brick layers paid by 'us' in the early 70's for a construction loan BEFORE my late husband and I built our house. Bids for some things, clear final BIDS by bricklayers, etc. and the COST for what WE could build ourselves in other areas of construction.

I buy on sale - save up and buy things. I did this as a young bride and I do this as an OLD LADY - I want to KNOW what I am buying and what it costs.

I did this for my own guns and ammo back east and out here, my last 2 firearms went to my MT husband but I still can use them, cars, trucks, sail boats, power boats, tractors, tools, lawn mowers, snow blowers, plows, etc.

I ONLY owned 1 small sail boat in my NAME - the Sunfish circa 1980 - my 30th birthday.

The boats that my late husband owned were in HIS name. And they were kept up and enjoyed and sold down the road.

Contrary to most belief systems - if you budget your money and TAKE care of ALL of your construction and indoor/outdoor tools, Guns, Knives, Ammo, tractors, cars, trucks, boats, HOUSE, etc. - you CAN ENJOY things in life and not lose your @@@ down the road IF you know what you are doing too.

NO offense to any person here in case someone 'takes me wrong'.

Old Lady Cate

Last edited:

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So his wife talking about shooting me is fine but my response is the one to bring your valued opinion into the mix?

BTW your capslock button is stuck again. Or is it intentional to make your posts more annoying?
    IF MY POSTS ARE BOTHERIN YOUTHEN YES IT'S EN I GO OUT OF MY WAY TO ANNOYSELF RIGHTEOUSI DON'T PUT MANY ON IGNORE BUT YOU JUST GOT ON THE TOP TENSPREADSHEET! PRICKS LIKE YOU! TENTIAL

Last edited:

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas

The "what round for" was totally called for given your rude and childish nap buddies comment.

AXXE CAN USE CAPS LOCK IF HE WANTS, SO CAN I AND IT DOESN'T DESERVE YOU BEING DRIFTING OVER TO MAKING FUN OF SOMEONE.

YOU'RE BEING A JERK TO PEOPLE IN A THREAD YOU INSERTED YOURSELF IN. ITS ONE THING TO POINT OUT A FACT OR OPTION. AXXE, BABOON AND POPS ARE GREAT FOLKS AND YOURE BEING A LEVEL OF ASS I DOUBT YOU WOULD ATTEMPT IN PERSON.

MAYBE BABOON COULD HAVE GIVEN THE CASHIER AND THE WAITER THE BENEFIT OF THE DOUBT, BUT PLENTY OF PEOPLE TREAT PEOPLE AS IF THEY CANNOT MAKE THEIR OWN DECISIONS BECAUSE OF HOW THE LOOK OR DRESS.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    Years ago after my late husband died, back east, I was working outside and just putting my tractor away in the garage. My garage door was UP.

I had the dogs in the front yard for a bit on their leashes.

My dogs were just put in the breezeway between the house and garage and a couple pulled up and 'on' my driveway END towards the VERY rural township road.

I did have one BIG nailed up sign = PRIVATE PROPERTY - NO TRESPASSING sign up on a big, heavy and solid wooden bench in front of the large garage close to the small barn. It was a reflective sign and I had it up for years too.

Anyway, I was in my work clothes, the sun would soon be setting, the couple got out of their fancy car and walked somewhat UP to me but NOT CLOSE. My dogs started to bark loudly.

My house had NO For Sale sign up but it just went online. I listed it with an agent but I sold it in one day myself - land contract to a friend of mine.

Anyway, the couple was from another town - same county/same state plates and they asked me if I was the CARETAKER of the property that they saw 'online'.

I told them that I was the OWNER of the house and one acre of land in the middle of farm/lake land.

They wanted to see the house and I told them, "NO". I told them that it was under contract and even if it was not that I would not show them the house unless someone was with me.

I did not know them from jack squat.

They kept insisting that they wanted to see it including the full basement and it gave me the creeps.

I told them to leave and went to get my 2 VERY, very OLD dogs = my female German Shepherd and my pound puppy now OLD Samoyed.

They judged me by my work clothes and grass stains or what (?) - I have NO clue on. Plain gold wedding band?

You can't always judge a book by it's cover BUT sometimes you CAN if they look doped up or drunk. The couple did not look like some drunk or doped up BUMS or transients but I did not feel comfortable.

That man/woman were clean, well dressed and in a fancy car.

They were much YOUNGER than me at 51 years old at the time too.

I told them that IF something happened to the final sale - they could give me their name/telephone number on a piece of paper and I could call them.

My friend bought the house 'land contract' for my full asking price.
    The house had been paid for early - construction loan paid off before the 20 years were up.

Later on, 2 years later, my friend, the buyer, and her husband got a bank loan and I was paid in full. They had that option with me in my contract.

That was the first time that I was ever asked if I was a CARETAKER.

Well, I guess that as an OWNER and builder of the 'said house' who lived there for over 30 years with my late husband - I was a caretaker in my own way! LOL

Old Lady Cate

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My late Dad's sister made really good fruitcake.

LOTS of fruit. Moist and yummy.

She made delicious Easter and Christmas breads and other special holiday dishes too.

Enjoy your fruitcake!

Old Lady Cate

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    Arrived by FED UP just now.
    Ordered on Thursday.

Having some Collins Street Fruitcake now, mighty fresh and tasty.
    Went to Brookshires Woodville , they had them, $38.99.

tgt265a.jpg

Oh. My. God. Having some now.

tgt265b.jpg

See? Now THAT's ^^^ real fruitcake. The cake part is what it's supposed to be, rich and dark... otherwise, in lame nasty fruitcake, it's just a dry light colored bunch of flour around some candied fruit. Like this:

tgt265c.jpg
    and if that's what someone had, no wonder they hate fruitcake...cause that's not fruitcake, it's an odious fake.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Went to Brookshires Woodville , they had them, $38.99.

View attachment 412631

Oh. My. God. Having some now.

View attachment 412632

See? Now THAT's ^^^ real fruitcake. The cake part is what it's supposed to be, rich and dark... otherwise, in lame nasty fruitcake, it's just a dry light colored bunch of flour around some candied fruit. Like this:

View attachment 412633 and if that's what someone had, no wonder they hate fruitcake...cause that's not fruitcake, it's an odious fake.
    I forgot how good they are. Mine was only $39.15 delivered.
    Now you know the fuss and why people think the other you showed was a fruitcake. IT is a fakecake.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I forgot how good they are. Mine was only $39.15 delivered.
    Now you know the fuss and why people think the other you showed was a fruitcake. IT is a fakecake.
    Exactamundo.

I bought/ate a smaller Brookshire store brand one last month, and was pretty disappointed. The one's on the shelves up north are like the Collin ones..so I thought oh well, must be the Texas version of fruitcake..and wasn't going to get another.

This one will last me for quite a while...and I know where to get another if need be. :)

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Exactamundo.

I bought/ate a smaller Brookshire store brand one last month, and was pretty disappointed. The one's on the shelves up north are like the Collin ones..so I thought oh well, must be the Texas version of fruitcake..and wasn't going to get another.

This one will last me for quite a while...and I know where to get another if need be. :)
    As baboon said 127 years they must be doing something right.

MountainGirl

Happy to be here!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Ten Oaks
    I never heard of Collins Street Bakery until 2017 when I went there after having a work confrence there. I do like them but my wife's grandmother makes one that it kinda gooey and I love it the most. I was glad though to start seeing Collins fruit cakes at Brookshire Brothers last year. Hate the price but a good splurge every once in a while.
    We just picked one up today...and shoulda stopped and got some coffee to go with it. Next time. :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom