Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Can’t carry at work.
    No weapons of any type allowed.
    Entire property is controlled access so can’t have anything in the vehicle either.
    Lynx Defense

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I have a rifle and my pistol in my car on the parking lot but it's 100s of yards away. I'm so small I don't know if a bodyguard would fit but I'll try on the lcp in a pocket holster and see
    When I’m going to be around just the local people at work, i have a P-365 in a pocket holster in the front pocket of my jeans. If we have visitors from HQ I switch to an LCP II. It definitely prints less in my front pocket.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I hear what you’re saying, but shop owners have to be law abiding, too. Texas has a law on what has to be posted to discriminate against a lawfully armed citizen.

My perspective is if an unlawful posting exists, why would I want to do business with a criminal.

Whether their sign is state legal or not, their intentions IMO are quite clear.

The larger city near us, (pop. about 19,000) has only a very few places of business that display the 30.06 signage, and some that display the 30.07 signage.

Also since I retired a few years ago, and started doing more of our shopping online, I don't get out among the public very much anymore.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I hear what you’re saying, but shop owners have to be law abiding, too. Texas has a law on what has to be posted to discriminate against a lawfully armed citizen.

My perspective is if an unlawful posting exists, why would I want to do business with a criminal.

The larger city near us, (pop. about 19,000) has only a very few places of business that display the 30.06 signage, and some that display the 30.07 signage.

Also since I retired a few years ago, and started doing more of our shopping online, I don't get out among the public very much anymore.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Can’t carry at work.
    Entire property is controlled access so can’t have anything in the vehicle either.

I'm lucky in that I am pretty much required to be openly armed at work. Though, the site is remote enough that your main concern is the wildlife. Coyotes, skunks, and hogs galore.

I choose to respect the business owners' right to post those signs, by shopping elsewhere.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I have a rifle and my pistol in my car on the parking lot but it's 100s of yards away. I'm so small I don't know if a bodyguard would fit but I'll try on the lcp in a pocket holster and see

Check your employers policy on weapons. They don’t have to post 30.06/30.07 to terminate you is it’s clearly prohibited as a term of employment.

Not all of our buildings are posted, but our handbook is exceedingly clear on the subject.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Check your employers policy on weapons. They don’t have to post 30.06/30.07 to terminate you is it’s clearly prohibited as a term of employment.

Not all of our buildings are posted, but our handbook is exceedingly clear on the subject.

Oh all of our buildings have a no weapons sign, I don't care about that. It's not a 30.06/30.07 sign I know I'll be fired if I'm caught. I'd rather be fired than die.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Oh all of our buildings have a no weapons sign, I don't care about that. It's not a 30.06/30.07 sign I know I'll be fired if I'm caught. I'd rather be fired than die.

I can respect that.

My place of employment has such a low threat environment with our own armed security teams that I’m comfortable with the risk I’m accepting inside our four walls.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Can’t carry at work.
    Not sure that last part is legal in Texas, but it has been a while since I reviewed the law.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Not sure that last part is legal in Texas, but it has been a while since I reviewed the law.

We had that argument with my former employer. However, while it may be illegal to fire someone for keeping a gun in their car, it’s not illegal to find another reason for termination. My company ended up stealing our commissions so most people just quit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    On a military base or Army post, they certainly can control that aspect of having a firearm in your vehicle (perhaps other federal property like Post Office employment, too).

My employer was a defense contractor with a closed vehicle parking area (fenced and guarded) and they had to follow Texas law. Which allowed employees to have firearms locked in their vehicles.

But as Bill said, most of my fellow employees found it prudent to not “advertise” they had a firearm locked up, in their vehicles. You simply didn’t want to open the HR door on that issue. No need to give the company an excuse to find “other reasons” for job termination.

Last edited:

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    Routine; Get up, SSS, dress, put gun in waistband. Go to station change clothes, get a bigger gun, go to work. 8 hours later reverse procedure. Retire, leave out middle step, nothing else changes. Self employed and I make the rules.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    US Law Shield site:
    Texas law provides some relief for folks who would like to take their gun to work but are prohibited from doing so by their employer. The Texas Labor Code prohibits employers from having a policy or rule against gun owners storing firearms within their privately-owned motor vehicle in an employee parking area. Time for some bad news, though. This law provides absolutely no remedy for an employee who is terminated for having a handgun in their car. In other words, if your employer fires you for having a gun in your car, you very likely have no recourse against the employer. Also note, under this rule, some employers are still legally allowed to exclude firearms from parking areas, including property owned or leased by a chemical manufacturer or oil and gas refiners; and businesses that manufacture, use, store, or transport hazardous, combustible, or explosive materials.

From the Texas AG site
    GA-0972
    Greg Abbott
    Categories
    Business and Commerce , Business Regulation , Federal Statutes and Regulations , Guns and Weapons
    Summary
    Employer subject to Labor Code section 52.061 may not ban the transport and storage of handguns in locked private vehicles by employees with concealed handgun licenses in employee parking areas by posting notice authorized by Penal Code section 30.06|Federally approved facility security plan under either the Maritime Transportation Security Act or the Chemical Facility Anti-Terrorism Standards does not equate to federal law that would preempt Labor Code section 52.061

Texas Labor Code § 52.061. Restriction on Prohibiting Employee Access to or Storage of Firearm or Ammunition
    A public or private employer may not prohibit an employee who holds a license to carry a handgun under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code,   1 who otherwise lawfully possesses a firearm, or who lawfully possesses ammunition from transporting or storing a firearm or ammunition the employee is authorized by law to possess in a locked, privately owned motor vehicle in a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area the employer provides for employees.

HRDailyAdvisor
    The new Texas state law that allows employees to bring guns to work, so long as they are secured in a locked vehicle, goes into effect September 1.

Senate Bill 321 was passed in the state legislature in May and was signed by Governor Rick Perry on June 17. The law allows employees who are licensed to carry a concealed handgun or otherwise are lawfully allowed to possess a firearm to have the weapon secured in a locked vehicle in an employer’s parking lot, garage, or other parking area provided for employees.

The new law provides some liability protection for employers. The July issue of Texas Employment Law Letter points out that a section of the law holds employers immune from lawsuits except in cases of gross negligence. The law also allows employers to prohibit employees from possessing a weapon on company property other than the parking area.

In addition, the law doesn’t require employers to inspect parking lots, garages, or other parking areas to make sure employees are complying with the laws relating to the ownership or possession of firearms or ammunition.

The law also provides some exceptions. For example, if the car is owned or leased by a public or private employer and used by the employee in the course of his duties, an employer can ban firearms from the vehicle unless using a gun is part of the employee’s job. Further, some employers — schools and certain oil, gas, and chemical facilities — are still allowed to prohibit guns on the premises.

Also, a Texas AG opinion states that companies cannot circumvent this law by posting 30.06 signs in the parking area.

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    On a military base or Army post, they certainly can control that aspect of having a firearm in your vehicle (perhaps other federal property like Post Office employment, too).

My employer was a defense contractor with a closed vehicle parking area (fenced and guarded) and they had to follow Texas law. Which allowed employees to have firearms locked in there vehicles.

But as Bill said, most of my fellow employees found it prudent to not “advertise” they had a firearm locked up, in their vehicles. You simply didn’t want to open the HR door on that issue. No need to give the company an excuse to find “other reasons” for job termination.
    Fed property is a different animal.

Just in general, I don't want anyone knowing that I own firearms or have them in my car.

I did save an employee who was going to be fired for having a gun in his car in the parking lot. We were a subcontractor. The owner (a large oil company) wanted him fired, so did our HR department. I referred them to the Texas code. He remained employed.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Fed property is a different animal.

Just in general, I don't want anyone knowing that I own firearms or have them in my car.

I did save an employee who was going to be fired for having a gun in his car in the parking lot. We were a subcontractor. The owner (a large oil company) wanted him fired, so did our HR department. I referred them to the Texas code. He remained employed.

How did they find out he had a gun?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom