• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reinz

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 5, 2014
    East TX
    Back in the 70's and early 80's it was near impossible to get a carry permit. However if you were known to carry large sums of money (>$100) you could carry a handgun in the vehicle if traveling more than one county from your residence. Actually I think you had to have a county between your destination and home. So from Dallas County you would pass thru Tarrant and be OK in Parker co.

It was called the Bonafide Traveler law. You had to cross two county lines. But it did not keep you from being arrested till a judge can see you. Then you have to prove it. Each judge treats it differently. Ask me how I know.

After a couple of these run ins with the law in the 70s I said F it, and ditched the Super Blackhawk from my vehicle and just started concealed carrying illegally for the next 21 years until I got my CHL in 95/96.
    ARJ Defense ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    No, I just don’t visit the school anymore. I buy my football tickets online and only go back for games where I wouldn’t be able to carry anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was just wondering how many folks (not just you specifically) are carrying where 30.06 is posted, relying on the new defense.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    I was just wondering how many folks (not just you specifically) are carrying where 30.06 is posted, relying on the new defense.
    I suspect that if anyone were, they wouldn't say so on a public forum or anywhere else there was a written record of such a thing being said.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX

I’ve had people tell me they do. The downside of not having your gun when you need it is much worse than carrying past most 30.06 signs. I just try to avoid doing business with those who post because I think the sign makes their business dangerous for their customers.

I complained to Ridgmar Mall about their 30.06 sign and the next time I visited, it was gone.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    In no way would I advocate, or encourage anyone to ignore, or violate ANY sign a business owner puts up that prohibits firearms. On other forums, members of other states have informed me quite vigorously, that their states, that such signs have no real legal consequences if a person violates such signage.

Whether the sign has the force of law or not, or whether the sign has been displayed properly, and done in the way that state statutes require, is irrelevant IMO. The message is still quite clear to me, and should be to others as well. Why would any gun owner want to do business with anyone who is clearly anti-gun is kind of hard for me to understand in the first place. Secondly, I think it is also about respect of other people's property, and rights, regardless of whether we agree with them or not. Respect is a two-way street. Thirdly, it sends just the message that anti-gun liberals are looking for, that gun owners care nothing about laws. Violating such signage, just reinforces their position, and we give them that when we behave in such manners.

My position, has always been that as a law abiding gun owner who carries, if my gun isn't welcome, then my wallet must not be either. I will take my business somewhere else that supports and appreciates that I'm a law abiding gun owner.

Now with that said, every person has to make these choices on their own, and for their own reasons. I believe that there could be exceptions where a person could be justified in violating such signage with good reason.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    Do you folks carry at work? I do not because I wear a tie and button down but I've thought about deep concealing a pocket 380

I pocket carry a Bodyguard in my slacks. Nobody notices. Even my boss, who knows I carry, didn’t notice until I removed my gun to go into a prohibited location.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    In no way would I advocate, or encourage anyone to ignore, or violate ANY sign a business owner puts up that prohibits firearms...

I hear what you’re saying, but shop owners have to be law abiding, too. Texas has a law on what has to be posted to discriminate against a lawfully armed citizen.

My perspective is if an unlawful posting exists, why would I want to do business with a criminal.

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    I hear what you’re saying, but shop owners have to be law abiding, too. Texas has a law on what has to be posted to discriminate against a lawfully armed citizen.

My perspective is if an unlawful posting exists, why would I want to do business with a criminal.

I assume that “no gun” signs that aren’t the legal 30.06 signs are just aimed at illegally carried guns and are a CYA recommended by lawyers.

I have a right to privacy and a right to protect myself. As long as I’m following the law, what I privately carry on my person is nobody else’s business.

Top Bottom