• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    and what do you think these millions of people with their Lone Star Cards are going to do when all of the sudden none of them work ..anywhere?

and that's just in Texas

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    My HEB store has a sign over the produce which lists which items are not eligible for a certain card. It lists some of the more exotic things along with most (or all, maybe) potatoes. Maybe that is a new Moochelle rule?

That is for the W.I.C. program. WICs gives X amount in dollars for veggies and fruits. It's in the area of about $10 a month per child. The rest of the program is broken down by specific items (milk, bread, eggs, etc) and doesn't allow for anything besides the basics.

I always believed that was how the food stamp program should be ran as well.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    WIC- no pre- prepared foods except cereal and those are limited in sugar content and minimum vitamins. Real cheese with min standards, only certain milk and juice products.
    Would be much better if food stamps restricted content of products available.
    I have known a lot that would not be on them without sodas, chips and candies aavailable.

Sent by a idjit coffeeholic

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Why does the weight have anything to do with it? I'm fat, but I'm not leeching off other taxpayers.

What's sad is the fact that it's cheaper to buy crap food than it is to buy healthier options.

Gonna have to agree with Vmax here. Healthy food is usually the cheapest in the short run (financially) and always the cheapest in the long run (healthwise). I can make a delicious meal that feeds five for around $2. That price will go down drastically when I finally start growing my own food.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Being in an apartment, growing food is out of the question, but I do cook at home. I can't afford to go out to eat except on a rare occasion.

There are co-op type programs for this if you are really interested, but I must warn you they are typically full of the most ignorantly liberal people you will ever met in your life.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    WIC- no pre- prepared foods except cereal and those are limited in sugar content and minimum vitamins. Real cheese with min standards, only certain milk and juice products.
    I have known a lot that would not be on them without sodas, chips and candies aavailable.

Say what you will about whether the WIC program should exist or not; I'll give it this: it has pretty damn good health standards. I wish all food stamp type programs had the same. Currently we are paying the poor and ignorant to eat trash and accumulate future hospital bills which we will also have to pay for.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Tell me what you can make for 2 dollars that feeds 5, I'm single but damn I'd try it.

It requires a $40 corona grain mill and willingness to eat food bought in bulk from the feed store (which is perfectly safe for humans to eat). If you're still interested I'll give you the details.

For now I'll tell you to look into sprouting. For the price of a few ounces of water, it's far healthier and cheaper than eating unsprouted food. Any dry beans you can get at the grocery store will sprout just fine an that's probably the best place to start.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    I like that answer.

from an idgit coffeeholic
    I have a sign right above the doorbell: 'this door is LOCKED for YOUR protection, NOT mine'

I personally believe in cutting you a check for all the stuff you are entitled to combined. You get check and that is your life preserver now you sink or swim on your own, you get nothing else. Wanna buy Meth, don't care, smoke and snorted it till your brains are fried. CLOSE all Methadone clinics, free meds and everything else, wanna buy wine, great, drink it till you puke...

My guess is in a few years we will have thinned the gene pool and those left will work to make a better life for themselves...

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    It requires a $40 corona grain mill and willingness to eat food bought in bulk from the feed store (which is perfectly safe for humans to eat). If you're still interested I'll give you the details.

For now I'll tell you to look into sprouting. For the price of a few ounces of water, it's far healthier and cheaper than eating unsprouted food. Any dry beans you can get at the grocery store will sprout just fine an that's probably the best place to start.
    So I either need to eat cattle feed, or grow my own beans. Neither is a feasible option.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    My church has a good welfare program that I've seen used to help families and individuals.

They go to the Bishop and ask for help.

Bishop engages people in the church asked to find their needs, help them budget, get government assistance where provided and job finding help.

I've been asked to go to a home, look though the pantry and find out what the family needs, put together meal plans and budgets with the family and provide rides to interviews among other things.

I setup a shared document with the family budget that the bishop can see and the family keeps track of monies there till they are off the program.

Food comes from "The Bishop's Storehouse" It's a grocery store with 1 brand of everything. Supplies are sometimes purchased but others are made by members at factories owned by the church. Houston area there's a peanut butter factory I've volunteered at for example.

Folks receiving assitance are asked to clean church buildings or help other members with the skills they have.

All point towards independence if that's at all possible.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    So I either need to eat cattle feed, or grow my own beans. Neither is a feasible option.

Why not? It's done by lots of people; especially the health conscious. Both are amongst the easiest, cheapest things you can do in your life. If you're too poor to afford bulk food or sprout beans then you need to sell the computer you're using because you're in the worst possible financial shape.

I also never said that's all there was to it. I have a feeling from your oversimplification that your mind is already closed on the subject and you'll find ways to justify your stuborness no matter what.

Way to not even try. Not my pocketbook, though.

Last edited:

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Hmm interesting sure wouldn't mind knowing though, I probably wouldn't put it to immediate use.

Check out Kurt Saxon's movies on Youtube. He goes over a lot of this stuff and shows you how to do it yourself. Sprouting is so easy there's no excuse not to do it aside from pure laziness.

Remember- the faster you implement this stuff the faster you start saving big money. For example, 50lbs of corn is $9 at my feed store. Try buying 50lbs of anything for $9 at the grocery store. Wheat- $12, barley-35, oats-$13. Also fine for making beer, or even liquor if you have an easy to make homemade still (and all applicable liquor manufacturing licenses, of course!). You can also roast barley as a healthier, cheaper coffee substitute.

There's really too much to go into here. Watch the videos and you'll get a good springboard for all sorts of ideas to save money. His Survivor books are good to get, too, even though they are pricey nowdays. Gotta spend money to save money, in this case.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom