turtle1.jpeg

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I've referred more than one person from the various forums I frequent to friends looking for hands. Not often, because sadly many of the younger folks that come here seem to see no value in traditions, your word and/or proper grammar. Those who I HAVE referred have done well - I don't refer good folks to crap jobs or crap folks to good jobs.

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    You're just coming across wrong....first of all, punctuation DOES matter - and to just blow it off shows a major amount of immaturity. You now own guns - REAL guns - and you need to man up and become worthy of them before you do something dumb and lose them.

Best way to keep them? In as good a safe as you can afford with a humidity control device installed. Wipe them down with a lightly oiled cloth - using lisle gloves will also help preserve their finish. Then EDUCATE yourself on just what you have - as a lifelong collector, I've seen WAY too many guns that the owner's had convinced themselves were very valuable when in truth they were just interesting guns without a great deal of value.

Right now, the BEST advice I can give you is to tell NONE of your friends about it. Sorry, but young dudes don't always think things through - and one of your "friends" might run his pie-hole around someone else that'd just as soon steal from you as eat breakfast. Go to a local range, and look around. Try to find someone middle-aged or older that looks like they take care of their guns, and have one or two similar to what you have. Go up, introduce yourself and ask them about what they have - and what's neat about it. Don't tell them you have one, just act interested. Be polite and you'll likely learn more about what YOU have without having to tip your hand.
    I read this post and agree with it.

I also envisioned @TexasRedneck at a range as he spots a unique 1911 from like 7 lanes away. He would casually walk down during a mag loading break and ask the feller "watcha chooten" after some over technical gibberish from the new shooter I can imagine the sigh big enough to clean the air in the range. On the return, the next purchase is planned.

To the kid, take care of heirloom guns, crappy or mint. If you let them go you may never get them back. Also, only show your core collection to friends. Not acquaintances.... and us here at TGT, we need to see them.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Until you're trying to get a GOOD job.
    Regardless of the career field, punctuation, and sentence structure, and spelling matter in getting the good jobs. As does being able to write in a coherent manner to convey a certain message or thought to others.

When iI was way younger and starting out as a mechanic of large trucks and heavy equipment, I too thought such things didn't matter, but they did. As a supervisor and a manager, I read too many repair orders that I had trouble decyphering and I could read. A lot of mechanics under me didn't think it mattered either. But I told them I wanted legible and coherent reports that I could read and understand, because many of the reports and repair orders became a part of permanent records that were kept on file.

Top Bottom