• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Fernando_Sucre

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2016
    Fox River
    Would you like a list of police who have been shot by their own firearms is that what you're asking?

No. I want a list of OCers who were shot with their own gun or shot first because a criminal saw him/her OCing while committing a crime. The argument is that the OCer who lacks the element of surprise will be shot first or shot with his/her own gun. OCers don't deal with criminals on a daily basis like cops do so you can't compare the two.
    Capitol Armory ad

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Let's see if we can all agree.

I prefer CC, but wouldn't ever attempt to force you to CC only. My opinion.

You prefer OC, but wouldn't ever attempt to force me to OC. My opinion.

Agreed?

If so, there's no problem.

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    I'm all for carrying how you like, or not at all if that is your preference, however deciding not to open carry due to the fear of being "targeted first" or specifically targeted for your gun is almost as bad as telling a woman not to carry a gun because a rapist would just take it from her and shoot her with it.

Is it remotely possible? Sure, but there is no evidence of it being an actual issue, just tons of people proclaiming it to be a serious risk and damn near inevitable.

I've seen only two news reports in the past few years that claimed an open carrier was robbed of his gun or shot because of it and in one case the few details reported make it sound like a 2am drug deal gone bad and in the other a complete lack of situational awareness allowed 4 thugs to rob the carrier of his gun which likely would have just been a "robbed for wallet and smart phone" situation if he wasn't open carrying, they simply took the valuables that they found.

If "hoplophobia" is the "irrational aversion to weapons", what should we call an "irrational aversion to visible weapons"?

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    The oft repeated story, ad nauseam, beloved by all OC fans i.e, "... however deciding not to open carry due to the fear of being "targeted first" or specifically targeted for your gun is almost as bad as telling a woman not to carry a gun because a rapist would just take it from her and shoot her with it." blah, blah, blah

O.K. - O.K. for the love of gawd. Give it a rest.

This story or a very close facsimile keeps popping up like a zombie that just won't die.

We who simply want to CC keep being pounded over the head with this never ending boring story and all it's first cousins, aren't going to be won over into OCing by OCers who keep repeating this mantra.

We've heard it already.

Honestly, you don't need to keep telling us a variation on the same stuff.

It's one big bore.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Everybody saying they want to live and let live, but nobody willing to shut up about it.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Domineaux

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Houston
    The oft repeated story, ad nauseam, beloved by all OC fans i.e, "... however deciding not to open carry due to the fear of being "targeted first" or specifically targeted for your gun is almost as bad as telling a woman not to carry a gun because a rapist would just take it from her and shoot her with it." blah, blah, blah

O.K. - O.K. for the love of gawd. Give it a rest.

This story or a very close facsimile keeps popping up like a zombie that just won't die.

We who simply want to CC keep being pounded over the head with this never ending boring story and all it's first cousins, aren't going to be won over into OCing by OCers who keep repeating this mantra.

We've heard it already.

Honestly, you don't need to keep telling us a variation on the same stuff.

It's one big bore.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, hence why I said I support anyone's decision to carry open or concealed or not at all.
    I'm just saying that disregarding OC because of irrational fear is irrational.

I primarily conceal carry, but do sometimes open carry because I see no evidence of increased risk but appreciate the increased comfort and consider open carry as more visual deterrent than the mythical "target on your back".

I disagree wholeheartedly with the thinking that a restored right is stupid because of irrational fear.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    On Jan 1, 2016, I had no plans to OC. Since then, I'm coming around. I did considerable experimentation with the pile of shoulder holsters that are laying around the house and all of them failed! Why the heck they put an adjustment buckle right at the base of the neck is a mystery. After 2 hours, those rigs were very uncomfortable!

Maybe the guy in the OP is having the same problems that I'm having.

I had a real, honest to gosh shoulder holster that I carried a S&W model 60. You could wear that rig all day and it was always comfortable! (Some pics in my profile album show me wearing that rig.) Of course, I traded the gun and the holster so that's out of the picture, now.

To expect a $20 shoulder holster to ride like a professional rig is foolish. They put buckles all over the holster rig to make it adjustable and more versatile but all they did was make it less comfortable. I may take one of the cheapies, cut the myriad of buckles out and stitch it together.

I ordered a Triple K rig for a Glock. Cheap rigs may carry a gun, but they just aren't comfortable. My favorite one is the "Miami Vice" ($179) rig but feed back responses say that the unit is too small for a "Plus" sized guy. We'll try the Triple K. It's $100.

Anyway, I'm working on a solution and will keep trying. I wear overalls every day so belt carry won't work. More later.

Flash

Last edited:

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    You can support OC, but not practice it and you're 'persona non grata'?

Guys, getting bothered because some of us other gun guys don't OC for reasons that make sense to us, make you sound as sanctimonious as anti-gun people.

Lighten the hell up.

My reason for not OCing is just one.

I don't want the attention.

If that gets you all riled up, too bad.

Please cite a specific example. If on the forum copy n paste it.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    I've not seen ONE person open-carrying since the law changed to allow it. I personally like open-carry...... but I will NEVER do so myself. In these times of rampant crime, especially where all the customers of a business (normally a restaurant) are robbed, I will feel comfortable knowing I'm not the focus of the crook's attention.

Rest assured that should something horrible happen and the bad-guys get the drop on someone that has either opted to intimidate or impress others instead of using their tactical advantage, I will have their back.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I've not seen ONE person open-carrying since the law changed to allow it. I personally like open-carry...... but I will NEVER do so myself. In these times of rampant crime, especially where all the customers of a business (normally a restaurant) are robbed, I will feel comfortable knowing I'm not the focus of the crook's attention.

Rest assured that should something horrible happen and the bad-guys get the drop on someone that has either opted to intimidate or impress others instead of using their tactical advantage, I will have their back.

Mighty full of yourself, aren't you?

Whistler

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 28, 2014
    Northeast Texas
    I will feel comfortable knowing I'm not the focus of the crook's attention.

A mite passive-aggressive today eh?

Some folks on here complaining they're being hit over the head regarding OC and how tired they are of a simile, others stating folks are stupid, out to intimidate or impress but "they are all for rights, do it however you like you ignorant, attention-seeking bastard". To be honest I don't see why they wouldn't expect exactly the responses they baited but characterize it as continuously being "hit over the head". Obviously folks are going to respond when you say their choices are less than brilliant. Stating you don't care then posting how stupid it is clearly indicating you do care is confusing your message a little.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    I like the opinion that the world is a safer place when the criminals don't know who is armed. It is hard to argue that a person open carrying is giving up an important part of their tactical advantage that concealment gives.

As a side note, I have an acquaintance that lives in a Midwestern state that allows open carry. She carries pretty much every day and it scares the heck out of me, mainly because it is just a matter of time before she loses her handgun to a bad-guy. Being 73 years old and weighing in at 105 pounds, I doubt she could fend off an attack by a 13 year old that wanted her Springfield. I've tried to explain that hiding it from view would allow her to come to someone's rescue if needed and not be the focus of a thief's attention..... but she enjoys people staring at her again!

So, open carry all you wish! I'll be the guy standing quietly by, ready to be your backup.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    All this trash talking back and forth between OC and CC does nothing but divide the community. The passive and implied insults about looking for attention/wanting to scare people are almost guaranteed to drum up a response from someone that will just cause more division.

Somebody doesn't carry like you do, ER MER GERD! Better post some passive aggressive crap on the internet claiming they're an attention whore who will get shot in the head by their own gun!

If you support gun rights, let's stop talking shit to our fellow gun owners and put that energy towards further reclaiming our rights instead.

Sent from my HAL 9000

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    All this trash talking back and forth between OC and CC does nothing but divide the community. The passive and implied insults about looking for attention/wanting to scare people are almost guaranteed to drum up a response from someone that will just cause more division.

Somebody doesn't carry like you do, ER MER GERD! Better post some passive aggressive crap on the internet claiming they're an attention whore who will get shot in the head by their own gun!

If you support gun rights, let's stop talking shit to our fellow gun owners and put that energy towards further reclaiming our rights instead.

Sent from my HAL 9000
    ^^^ I know, right!

The things that get people riled up is amazing.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I like the opinion that the world is a safer place when the criminals don't know who is armed. It is hard to argue that a person open carrying is giving up an important part of their tactical advantage that concealment gives.

As a side note, I have an acquaintance that lives in a Midwestern state that allows open carry. She carries pretty much every day and it scares the heck out of me, mainly because it is just a matter of time before she loses her handgun to a bad-guy. Being 73 years old and weighing in at 105 pounds, I doubt she could fend off an attack by a 13 year old that wanted her Springfield. I've tried to explain that hiding it from view would allow her to come to someone's rescue if needed and not be the focus of a thief's attention..... but she enjoys people staring at her again!

So, open carry all you wish! I'll be the guy standing quietly by, ready to be your backup.
    It can also be said that if criminals see openly armed people thay are less likely to commit a crime.

sent from an idgit coffeeholic

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom