• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mycin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    McKinney
    Wow. Who the hell allowed live ammo on the set? Or did Baldwin place a gun loaded with blanks against someone's head and fire it as a joke, or something? That's happened before, right? But that wouldn't explain the injury to the director.

Baldwin is not the sharpest knife in the drawer, and has a famously bad temper, so who knows what happened.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Fires prop gun apparently reckless and kills one injures another on set.

Misfired my ass.

The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office has confirmed that director of photography Halyna Hutchins was the crewmember killed on the New Mexico set of Rust, where star Alec Baldwin was holding a prop gun that misfired, striking Hutchins and director Joel Souza.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    Lee Horsely, I believe his name was...
    Perhaps not. Just searched him and not sure why that name came to mind...

Jon-Erik Hexum. I was WAY off...

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Amazing how they are reporting that the gun misfired. Had it been Joe Schmoe from Cocamo, a firearms enthusiast, who had been holding the gun, they probably would have reported it as a negligent discharge of some sort or at least somehow placed the blame on Joe Schmoe!

RIP to the deceased and get well wishes to the other victim of the so called misfire.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    I called him out on Twitter

Screenshot from 2021-10-21 22-22-57.png

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I searched Alec Baldwin shoots and got nothing back. Maybe put that in the title and it would be searchable.

ETA
    Sorry I'm in a bad mood tonight. Stressful day tomorrow .

Lost Spurs

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 24, 2011
    BCS
    Made me think of Brandon Lee. I have never seen one but there is apparently some intrinsic danger with blank guns. I would only assume you still treat a blank gun as lethal and follow the basic rules of gun safety. I can't validate the claim bit I seem to remember hearing about others seeing the same fate with "safe" guns.

Even if the shooter was a raging lib, he killed a guy on accident. Prayers for the victims family and prayers for Alec for doin the Killin. Sad to have another life lost to true, senseless, gun violence.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    I thought prop guns were supposed to be safe
    You thought wrong. Guns used in movies often fire blanks, blanks can kill, they have killed some actors before. Some may fire actual rounds albeit it Simunition (supposedly non-lethal but sooner or later one will probvably cap someone and end it for him). Bruce Lee's son was killed by a prop gun. Others have also perished after being shot by supposed prop guns. See this article (which also gives accounts of deaths by other prop weapons but if you scroll through it there are at least a few examples of actors or other celebrities killed by prop guns). One moron put the gun to his own head and puled the trigger, he was an up and coming star in the 80's. His last words appear in the article, if true they were somewhat insightful.

Last edited:

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Even just a primer can bury stuff into your skin. Who know how much powder, any wad or crimping was used. That said killing one and putting another into surgery says some kind of projo was involved.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Who the hell allowed live ammo on the set?
    The "master of arms" on set, aka the gun wrangler. I hope that, whoever he is, he never works in that job again.

The reports I've seen indicate that this might not have been live ammo. It might have been a barrel obstruction that was blown out of the barrel by a blank. In any event, that shouldn't happen. That's the biggest job of the gun wrangler, to keep actors from shooting anyone.
    did Baldwin place a gun loaded with blanks against someone's head and fire it as a joke, or something?
    Apparently not. This happened at some distance, according to the reports I've read.
    That's happened before, right?
    At least a couple of times. Both Jon Erik-Hexum and Brandon Lee died from gun accidents on set and those are the two most famous cases. There have been others, unfortunately.

Jon Erik-Hexum was joking around between takes and mimicked committing suicide by playing Russian roulette with his revolver. He loaded just one blank, gave the cylinder a spin, placed the muzzle on his temple, and pulled the trigger. He was taken off life support 6 days later.

The Brandon Lee death was the result of an infuriating collection of multiple accidents/oversights and lack of knowledge and due diligence. First, a bullet was lodged in the barrel of a revolver by an accident with the manufacture of the ammo. A dummy round for photography was assembled using no powder but someone left the primer in the case. When the gun was fired, the bullet wound up stuck in the barrel. The person who fired it didn't know enough about guns to know that something was wrong. The gun wrangler didn't adequately check the piece (or check it at all?) before it was used again. At the next use, a regular blank was used from a distance of 12 to 15 feet, which would have been safe for a blank. It was not safe with a bullet in the barrel, though, and that bullet struck Brandon Lee in the stomach. The folks on set didn't realize he'd been shot and thought the reason he was unconscious was that he had struck his head when he fell (which he was supposed to do) at the end of the scene. It took a few minutes to realize that there was more wrong. I don't know if that was a big factor in his death but a delay in the start of treatment is never good. Anyway, after 5 or 6 hours of surgery, he succumbed.

After those high-profile deaths, the industry by-laws were amended. It's supposed to be a violation of the standard Screen Actors Guild and International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees contracts to point a "functional firearm" on set at any SAG or IATSE member, no matter the distance. Prop guns are supposed to be only used with blanks from safe distances. And anywhere that the firearm isn't in a close-up and doesn't have to be fired, it's supposed to be a completely non-functional dummy gun. That's why you occasionally run across those solid rubber, molded firearms replicas. They're intended for on-screen, background use.

Also, the standard gun-handling protocols were changed. In theory, the gun wrangler should hold the gun until it's time to start, hand the gun to the actor for the scene, and take it away after the shot is done. In practice, that's impossible. There are often too many guns in a shot or the shot is being repeated so many times in a row that there's no time for the hand-off. Still, they're supposed to try. The idea is that the gun wrangler will have control over the piece during the times when something about it could be made unsafe. They're supposed to do that to the extent that it's practical. If that protocol had been followed, even partially, neither Brandon Lee nor Jon-Erik Hexum would have died.

It's pretty clear that the folks on set of this latest accident were failing to follow several of their own rules.

ETA - I see I've been well and truly ninja'd. That's what I get for taking so long to compose something so, well, long. :)

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    The "master of arms" on set, aka the gun wrangler. I hope that, whoever he is, he never works in that job again.

The reports I've seen indicate that this might not have been live ammo. It might have been a barrel obstruction that was blown out of the barrel by a blank. In any event, that shouldn't happen. That's the biggest job of the gun wrangler, to keep actors from shooting anyone.

Apparently not. This happened at some distance, according to the reports I've read.

At least a couple of times. Both Jon Erik-Hexum and Brandon Lee died from gun accidents on set and those are the two most famous cases. There have been others, unfortunately.

Jon Erik-Hexum was joking around between takes and mimicked committing suicide by playing Russian roulette with his revolver. He loaded just one blank, gave the cylinder a spin, placed the muzzle on his temple, and pulled the trigger. He was taken off life support 6 days later.

The Brandon Lee death was the result of an infuriating collection of multiple accidents/oversights and lack of knowledge and due diligence. First, a bullet was lodged in the barrel of a revolver by an accident with the manufacture of the ammo. A dummy round for photography was assembled using no powder but someone left the primer in the case. When the gun was fired, the bullet wound up stuck in the barrel. The person who fired it didn't know enough about guns to know that something was wrong. The gun wrangler didn't adequately check the piece (or check it at all?) before it was used again. At the next use, a regular blank was used from a distance of 12 to 15 feet, which would have been safe for a blank. It was not safe with a bullet in the barrel, though, and that bullet struck Brandon Lee in the stomach. The folks on set didn't realize he'd been shot and thought the reason he was unconscious was that he had struck his head when he fell (which he was supposed to do) at the end of the scene. It took a few minutes to realize that there was more wrong. I don't know if that was a big factor in his death but a delay in the start of treatment is never good. Anyway, after 5 or 6 hours of surgery, he succumbed.

After those high-profile deaths, the industry by-laws were amended. It's supposed to be a violation of the standard Screen Actors Guild and International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees contracts to point a "functional firearm" on set at any SAG or IATSE member, no matter the distance. Prop guns are supposed to be only used with blanks from safe distances. And anywhere that the firearm isn't in a close-up and doesn't have to be fired, it's supposed to be a completely non-functional dummy gun. That's why you occasionally run across those solid rubber, molded firearms replicas. They're intended for on-screen, background use.

Also, the standard gun-handling protocols were changed. In theory, the gun wrangler should hold the gun until it's time to start, hand the gun to the actor for the scene, and take it away after the shot is done. In practice, that's impossible. There are often too many guns in a shot or the shot is being repeated so many times in a row that there's no time for the hand-off. Still, they're supposed to try. The idea is that the gun wrangler will have control over the piece during the times when something about it could be made unsafe. They're supposed to do that to the extent that it's practical. If that protocol had been followed, even partially, neither Brandon Lee nor Jon-Erik Hexum would have died.

It's pretty clear that the folks on set of this latest accident were failing to follow several of their own rules.

ETA - I see I've been well and truly ninja'd. That's what I get for taking so long to compose something so, well, long. :)

It should be mandatory for the rules of firearms be acknowledged and followed where firearms are going to be used. And the person in charge of firearm props should go over the weapon with the actor before every use.

Top Bottom