• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Arrec Bawlrrin? From the Film Actors…. thing?

I haven’t really followed this. Are they thinking Arrec knew they were live rounds?
    if he knew they were live rounds it would be a murder charge. assuming of course, that the goal isn’t to charge him inappropriately to prevent a conviction.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    CBS said he was re-charged because prosecutors replaced broken parts in the pistol, which allowed experts to show how it could negligently fire based on his past testimony about his weapons handling. His lawyers are expected to argue that this is now a "different" pistol, so the demonstration does not matter. Could be enough for reasonable doubt.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    CBS said he was re-charged because prosecutors replaced broken parts in the pistol, which allowed experts to show how it could negligently fire based on his past testimony about his weapons handling. His lawyers are expected to argue that this is now a "different" pistol, so the demonstration does not matter. Could be enough for reasonable doubt.

Of course those parts in the pistol are broken because the FBI had to break them to make the pistol behave the way Baldwin claimed. That should be sufficient to prove to any reasonably person that he's lying...

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    It will definitely be interesting to see how the broken gun is handled at trial. On one hand, trying to prove him guilty using a gun that isn’t the one he fired is shady. On the other, I think they can prove his guilt regardless of what they argue the status of the gun is. Not sure the jurors will see it that way though. It will be an interesting trial to follow. Hard for me to not consider that maybe the gun was broken intentionally.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I wonder how many rounds a SAA can have through it before that. I'd bet a lot.
    I remember the rep for Cimarron Arms pointedly telling me that their guns were nice but if you wanted a competition Cowboy Action pistol that wouldn't break, buy a Ruger.

So I'm guessing that the answer is somewhere around "about one busy season of Cowboy Action shooting."

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    So I'm guessing that the answer is somewhere around "about one busy season of Cowboy Action shooting."

They had a professional armorer maintaining them specifically for movie making use. Can't see where trigger would need to be light or smooth, just dead reliable. Not much slickin' needed.

Just used for shooting blanks, for most part. I heard they shot some live ammo on the back lot. Maybe that is what caused them to fail. Wonder if they were cowboy loads.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I haven't read anything that said the gun had failed or been damaged before the FBI tested it to the point where it could malfunction in the manner Baldwin described...after a LOT of testing parts to destruction. When it was used as a (however negligent) murder weapon, from everything I've read it was properly functional.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    They had a professional armorer maintaining them specifically for movie making use. Can't see where trigger would need to be light or smooth, just dead reliable. Not much slickin' needed.
    Good point and I agree. But...
    Just used for shooting blanks, for most part. I heard they shot some live ammo on the back lot. Maybe that is what caused them to fail.
    ...whether the recreational shooting was blanks or live ammo probably doesn't matter. Also, we don't know what style of shooting was being used for the camera as the film was being shot.

Typically, what breaks SAAs and their clones is fanning. People who have seen too many 50s westerns are likely to severely abuse those revolvers (and chew up the outside meat of their weak side hand, too) which can result in breakage in a surprisingly short amount of time. Have a look at some of the insane modifications that are done to fast-draw competition revolvers just to keep them from falling apart.

Somehow, though, I think this is all beside the point. The pistol clearly worked when Baldwin killed that woman. I don't understand what was going through the mind of anyone who chose to damage a piece of evidence during testing. There may be a good reason but I can't bring it to mind at this moment.

Top Bottom