I Survived Ike

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by LHB1, Sep 14, 2008.

1. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    My family and I survived hurricane Ike. Any other Houston area survivors? We live in the Spring area adjacent to The Woodlands. We lost two trees, the cap from our chimney, and electrical power. Got power back tonight. For the last two nights, I sat/slept on front porch wearing a Wilson .45 cal Protector to keep spooks and looters away. Must have worked because I didn't see any. Man! Two days in Houston during early Sept with heat, humidity, mosquitoes, and no A/C is enough for me. Guess I'm not as tough as I used to be. I feel for those unfortunate people who may be without power for up to 2 weeks.

Alan: If this message is inappropriate or in the wrong section, my apologies.

2. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Glad you came through alright. I've got old friends from high school I haven't heard from yet (living in Pearland) and I'm hoping its because they got out of town.

3. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    Hi Shorts,
    Hope your friends from Pearland are OK. You are from Corpus Christi, right? My wife and I went thru another major hurricane some years ago, Celia in 1971, which just about blew CC off the map. Hope you and your spouse can make it back home to the USA SOON.

ps: When trying to contact people after the hurricane, cell phones may not be working due to either low batteries or cell towers being out of power or damaged. Our cell phones were not supported (no or low service signal) for about 36 hours while power was off.

4. Shorts

Shorts TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Yup, from CC. Mom and Dad remember Celia pretty well. They were both living in San Pat Co at the time going to school. For Ike, Mom went up to San Antone and Dad headed down to Zapata where he'd been the last week or two for work detail. So, they were both alright. Hopefully someone took care of Murphy, our chinchilla :headscratch:

Sounds like yall will have some firewood by way of those fallen trees. Time to get out the chainsaw! They didn't take out any buildings or cars did they?

5. LHB1

LHB1 Active Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Houston
    No, we were lucky. They were both medium size trees and just hit lawn. I cut them up today and stacked the debris along the curb for eventual pick up. Other friends and neighbors weren't so lucky. Several homes nearby have trees fallen onto them with smashed roofs and worse.

6. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    we were in angleton, luckily my dad's home was ok. we had power throughout the whole storm,. when the neighborhood power went out, my dad has solar panels/wind propellers so we had backup power til morning, then we hooked up the generator. power was back on by that afternoon.

few pics of damages in anlgeton, a lot of trees looked like this, few on people's homes...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

our balcony in memorial heights, good thing we didnt stay home,. also few cars got owned by trees in our complex.
    [​IMG]

been eating this since friday, my mom made a new batch everyday. YUM!
    [​IMG]

7. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS

Hahah! Is that Adobo!! HMMMM!! YUMMY!!! Yea, the Filipino restaurant down the street from us was open until power went out. So I had to get a good meal in before the storm.

Most of Southwest Houston is still without power and we had three houses and a hospital to worry about. Luckily, everything was ok. It could have been worse. Our house on the Southwest side had the whole backyard fence blown out and leaks in the roof. House in Sugarland just had shingles blown off and leak in the master bedroom. Both houses are still without power. Our Katy home went through it ok along with the hospital (where we stayed for 24hrs and I was awake for 68hrs w/ 2hrs worth of cat naps due to being part of the Incident Command) had a few windows leaking and multiple trees blown down. I'll have videos uploaded and posted sometime today to show the before, during, and after of the hospital.

8. htxred

htxred Active Member

Apr 6, 2008
    inner loop houston
    nah its thit ca, viet food, ribs with brown sauce, i think its hosin or oyster.

9. Cyfer

Cyfer Active Member

May 29, 2008
    TEXAS
    Oh, damn, it looks like Filipino Adobe. Man, I bet it's still good as hell though.

10. kingofwylietx

kingofwylietx Well-Known

Feb 29, 2008
    DFW area.....Wylie.
    My parents are in Sugar Land, their house is fine. They have a beach house by Jamaica Beach, no sea wall, and it is still there. We can't tell how damaged it is, it appears the deck is pretty bad and the stairs are gone. I told them to take a ladder when they are able to get on the island.