• TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    My father has diabetes, and he’s one of those that has to stick to his diet pretty hard core. His best friend is diabetic, and eats anything he wants and as much of it as he wants, and just turns the little knob on his insulin injector with no issues. He thought anyway, he’s half blind and about to lose half of his left foot now.

gshayd

Ugliest house on the block.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    You can warm your milk and cream mixture up to 160 degrees slowly and then add your eggs. You can then put it in the fridge and cool it off. Technically you have a custard but you can still, make ice cream and be safer. If its a chicken product it has salmonella in it.

gshayd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    My father has diabetes, and he’s one of those that has to stick to his diet pretty hard core. His best friend is diabetic, and eats anything he wants and as much of it as he wants, and just turns the little knob on his insulin injector with no issues. He thought anyway, he’s half blind and about to lose half of his left foot now.
    You can turn the knob on the insulin injector but that is for the reading you just took taking into account the number of carbs you are going to have for the meal.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You can warm your milk and cream mixture up to 160 degrees slowly and then add your eggs. You can then put it in the fridge and cool it off. Technically you have a custard but you can still, make ice cream and be safer. If its a chicken product it has salmonella in it.
    Can't rule out the possibility of salmonella from raw eggs. But the old family recipe that has been used for about a hundred years has never resulted in anyone getting salmonella. Maybe just lucky.

One can use the egg substitute if desired. Really has no effect on the flavor. Much preferable to heating the mixture.

gshayd

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2018
    Beaumont, Texas
    The only difference between custard and ice cream is that ice cream has air whipped into it and custard doesn't. Custard is used as a base for making ice cream.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    The only difference between custard and ice cream is that ice cream has air whipped into it and custard doesn't. Custard is used as a base for making ice cream.

gshayd,

At least, MOST recipes for FROZEN CUSTARD are COOKED, rather than using raw eggs & other ingredients.
    Otoh, MOST homemade ice cream uses RAW eggs & could possibly make you sick.
    As "oldag" said, I don't know a single person who has gotten sick from eating homemade ice cream, other than eating WAY too many bowls of it.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Southpaw,

I once saw a YM eating ice cream at the HEB with a spoon. - He then put the carton back in the freezer.
    (YES, I told the manager. He threw the carton in the trash.)

yours, satx

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Making up a batch of homemade vanilla for the fourth. Like these new fangled ice cream makers. Don't have to hand crank 'em anymore.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Making this recipe, 1 quart of half & half, 14oz can of Sweet Condensed Milk, 2 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract. Made it last year was excellent.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Tattle Tail! :green:

Charlie,

Given all the "strange", deadly & difficult to treat diseases that are now commonplace in the USA (Thanks for nothing, O'Dumbo & the DIMocRATS.), would you want to eat after him??
    (I presume that you're being sarcastic/humorous.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Charlie,

Fwiw, my beloved Darla is still in Los Angeles (taking care of her kid sister, who is very ill at a large hospital) & I've worried that she may "come in contact with" a contagious patient (who has one of those "medieval" diseases) at the hospital. = I truly HOPE that I'm worried without cause.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

As I've now been asked twice (by phone, off-forum & in 2 emails) for my grandfather's peach ice cream recipe, it is below.

To 8 whole raw eggs beaten, add 2 or more cups of VERY RIPE crushed peaches (I mash my peaches with a potato masher.), 2 cans (12 ounces each) of unsweetened condensed milk, a pint of heavy whipping cream, a tablespoon of vanilla extract (I use MEXICAN pure vanilla.), a 1/2 cup of white corn syrup (I use white Karo) & sugar to your taste.
    (The amount of sugar needed will vary according to the sweetness of the peaches AND how sweet that you like your ice cream. = Keep tasting the mixture, as you can add more sugar but it's hard to take it out, if you add too much.)

Pour that mixture into the freezer can & fill with whole milk or half & half to the marked "fill-line".

Freeze according to the directions for your ice cream maker.
    Makes about FIVE quarts.
    ENJOY.

yours, satx

Top Bottom