• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the ideal AR weight for practical/general use?

• Under 4lb

Votes: 3 6.3%
    • 4lb to 5lb

Votes: 4 8.3%
    • 5lb to 6lb

Votes: 11 22.9%
    • 6lb to 7lb

Votes: 17 35.4%
    • 7lb to 8lb

Votes: 9 18.8%
    • over 8lbs

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    What do you guys think is the ideal AR-15 weight for general use? Most of the ARs I've built tend to be a little on the heavy side except for my 7.62x39 pistol build (for obvious reasons). I think between 5-6lbs would probably be the perfect balance of being light weight, but not so light weight that the ruggedness and reliability of the gun is compromised. Those super light weight skeletonized gamer guns look cool, but I doubt they would function very well in even remotely adverse conditions. They're not very practical.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Depends on what you are doing with it. Are you carrying it 12 hours a day while running,climbing, jumping, etc? Are you just taking it to the range? It also depends on what range you will be shooting. You can use irons or light weight optics for home defense. Large magnified optics and mounts weight more. I prefer light weight AR setups. 8lbs or less.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

kenboyles72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2017
    Gladewater,TX
    Like was mentioned before, depends on what you use it for. My son's AR with light weight free float rail, BUIS and RDS, is 7.5 lbs. My AR with light weight free float rail, BUIS and scope is 9.2lbs. Both rifles are pretty much stock except for the hand guards.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Can't say I've ever weighed one.

I have a few that are lighter and a few that are heavier, mostly depends on the barrels and optics I suppose.

I think balance is more important than just weight.

Heavy barreled long range rigs don't carry well and feel awkward. Too light of a barrel and they don't swing correctly. Guess that feeling comes from bird hunting with a shotgun.

If it feels right the actual weight doesn't matter to me I suppose.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Not to heavy for a 50K ruck with a full combat load is the perfect weight.

No matter how gucci, there’s a min weight for the chunks of metal. Balance is much more important in my opinion.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Sorry the question isn't detailed enough for my answer to be accurate.

- With or Without Optic?

- Full magazine or empty magazine?

currently voted 4 to 5 but that's without optic and no magazine.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I kept it vague for a reason. It's general use. You might use it to hunt, you might use it for fighting/defense, or you might just use it to punch holes in paper. It needs to be able to do all of these roles in the most practical way possible.

The weight is of the gun with optics and an empty mag.

Big Green

In Christ Alone
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    I prefer a heavier AR. I really like 18” barrels and a sturdy handguard. I was NOT a door kicker but I always took a 20” M16A4 to the range and all my humps in boot and MCT were with 20” variants. I have shorter models and they swing well, but I’m not high speed and I prefer a little more FPS. My current build has an 18” A2 profile and will soon be debuted here when I ask about stock options.

That being said, I have a suppressed 12” SBR 300BLK that is a blast and handles really well.

I personally like 18” barrels with a rifle, or possibly an intermediate, length gas system.

Pistol Pete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2010
    Texas
    Most are too heavy. Brownnells ever gets right on their pricing I want the XM16 version, what I had in Nam...... Not paying 1100.00 for a 500.00 gun tho.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I think most my ars are 6-7lbs unloaded with 16" barrels & flip ups. Most scopes will add a 1lb or so to the rifle. I sighted in my 6.5 grendel yesterday with my night vision. That scope added atleast 2lbs to the rifle. I bet its close to 10lbs now.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Just weighed 2 if my favorites.... unloaded.
    One has 16" barrel & 8" quadrail with red dot... weighs 8.2lbs.
    The other has 16" stainless barrel, 10" freefloat weights 7lbs... with night vision its 10.2lbs.

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    My lightest AR's have 18" SPR profile barrels on them,the rest are 18" H-bar profile or 20" Bull barrels.
    I don't like light weight rifles,most of my bolt actions are at least 10 lbs and up to 17 lbs. Using a good sling,it really doesn't matter how much they weigh.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I’ve never carried a rifle and though, “Man, wish this sucker was heavier”. It’s not like .223 Remington kicks much.

Reactions: gll
    Top Bottom