• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the ideal AR weight for practical/general use?

• Under 4lb

Votes: 3 6.3%
    • 4lb to 5lb

Votes: 4 8.3%
    • 5lb to 6lb

Votes: 11 22.9%
    • 6lb to 7lb

Votes: 17 35.4%
    • 7lb to 8lb

Votes: 9 18.8%
    • over 8lbs

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I thought ARs were so plug and play that checking headspace on a new build is never an issue?????

It's ALMOST never an issue. I have seen a few posts here and there where someone builds and AR and the headspace is off.

The issue is stacking tolerances. If the bolt and barrel are made by different companies, then the tolerances could be just far enough apart to cause excessive headspace. If you buy your bolt and barrel from the same manufacturer, especially if sold as a pair, it's less of an issue.

$35 for a GO gauge is a small investment for your safety, and for extra insurance that your shiny new AR won't spontaneously disassemble itself. I can get away with not having a NO GO or FIELD gauge by adding a layer or two of masking tape to the back of the GO gauge. The specs for all of them are out there. Just measure the thickness of the tape to figure out how many layers you need.
    Gun Zone Deals

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I personally would really like to see an AR - any AR that is centerfire and not a 22lr- that weighs 7lbs or less w/full mag...let alone with an optic, too...

I'd be willing to bet a wrinkled dollar bill that there are ZERO such AR15s in the hands of members of this forum...at this time, at least.

I don't think there are any major manufacturers of ARs wherein they sell a sub- 6lb (unloaded) AR15. There are several 'race gun' and 'lightweight' ARs in the sub-5lb range, but they are rare, and pricey. Lots of guys on some forums brag about the weight of their ARs being so low, but few can prove it without taking several weeks/months to build one after that claim is made...

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I personally would really like to see an AR - any AR that is centerfire and not a 22lr- that weighs 7lbs or less w/full mag...let alone with an optic, too...

I'd be willing to bet a wrinkled dollar bill that there are ZERO such AR15s in the hands of members of this forum...at this time, at least.

I don't think there are any major manufacturers of ARs wherein they sell a sub- 6lb (unloaded) AR15. There are several 'race gun' and 'lightweight' ARs in the sub-5lb range, but they are rare, and pricey. Lots of guys on some forums brag about the weight of their ARs being so low, but few can prove it without taking several weeks/months to build one after that claim is made...

The lightweight 5.56 AR I've been working on weighs in at 7.4 lbs with a red dot, a magnifier, and a full 30rd mag. Without the magnifier, it's easily under 7 lbs (the magnifier weighs around 11-12oz). It's also worth mentioning that I'm not done shedding ounces from the gun. The lower that is currently on it is not the lower that will be on the final gun. I have a very special lower in mind for that, but it hasn't hit the market yet. I've been watching it's development and it's in it's final stages. I'm hoping to have it within the next month.

This is all being done without sacrificing reliability or creating a "gamer gun". (None of that skeletonized stuff).

If you are really interested in seeing what a AR can truly be, check out InRange TV on YouTube (or their website) and look into their WWSD 2017 series or their currently ongoing WWSD 2020 series.

You can send that wrinkled dollar bill to the Firearms Policy Coalition.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I have a heavy barrel 22" upper for targets and a lightweight 16" 300 Blackout for defense and hogs, I am 71 and have no problem hiking the plains with the carbine rig. I use 20 round or even 10 round mags for hogs/varmints then a 30 . My grand girls have been shooting the carbine since 10 so it is not too heavy.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

d5lneTa.jpg

gWzkGkJ.jpg

That is with *2* 20 round P-Mags loaded. The twin 30's that live in it now add a pound.

lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    I was a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Division. Jumping with that thing and all the ammo and explosives I was carrying was always interesting! I was very heavy when properly equipped.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Staff online

• Vaquero
      Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GiantLoomis
    Top Bottom