• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the ideal AR weight for practical/general use?

• Under 4lb

Votes: 3 6.3%
    • 4lb to 5lb

Votes: 4 8.3%
    • 5lb to 6lb

Votes: 11 22.9%
    • 6lb to 7lb

Votes: 17 35.4%
    • 7lb to 8lb

Votes: 9 18.8%
    • over 8lbs

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Upshot is that it would be super light weight, mags are easily obtained, and you'd confuse the bejesus out of the GenZ kiddies at the range. Maybe then they'd understand that a safety on a pistol is no different than a safety on a rifle...
    Texas SOT

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    RC83GvKh.jpg

Attachments

• RC83GvKh.jpg
      RC83GvKh.jpg
      146.6 KB · Views: 339

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Franken-gun - Spike's lower, S&W LPK, PSA 11.5" upper with an MI rail. KAK brace & buffer tube, Magpul MBUS sights (came with the upper) and a Strikefire II optic. Don't ask how she runs yet because I just finished it as our state went into lock down.

ETA: - The weight shown in the pix above is with both of those magazines loaded with 55 grain ammo - Hornady FTX in one mag, Winchester Silver Tip .223 in the other.

Have you tried to stand on scale with no rifle, then get back on with rifle?
    Might see a little difference in the weight versus just rifle on the scale.

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Have you tried to stand on scale with no rifle, then get back on with rifle?
    Might see a little difference in the weight versus just rifle on the scale.

I didn't do that - but I did step on the scale to ensure a return to zero between weights, took a pic of the third weight

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    A DI AR is still gassy when you put a can on it.

And a piston AR’s bolt will remain clean a lot longer than a DI.

The DI I’m referring to is as defined by everyone not named Ian on Forgotten Weapons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Upshot is that it would be super light weight, mags are easily obtained, and you'd confuse the bejesus out of the GenZ kiddies at the range. Maybe then they'd understand that a safety on a pistol is no different than a safety on a rifle...

I dont have any hard sided holsters for the rifle slung across my chest

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas

The DI I’m referring to is as defined by everyone not named Ian on Forgotten Weapons.

There is not one singe DI ar15 on earth

Calling the AR DI is like calling an AK a delayed blowback

Also, the external piston AR will fail long before the internal piston AR will, and i believe filthy 14 has more than shown that it doesn't matter how many rounds a gun has through it before cleaning.

Adding an external piston to your AR is like gluing on 4 more legs to your dog and calling it an octopus

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    There is not one singe DI ar15 on earth

Calling the AR DI is like calling an AK a delayed blowback

Also, the external piston AR will fail long before the internal piston AR will, and i believe filthy 14 has more than shown that it doesn't matter how many rounds a gun has through it before cleaning.

Adding an external piston to your AR is like gluing on 4 more legs to your dog and calling it an octopus

I understand what you're saying, but the overwhelming majority of the AR industry segregates AR's by "Piston" and DI", and that's not an exaggeration.
    Customers, manufacturers, reviewers, books, magazines, jokers on internet forums...

It may be wrong, but that's the lingo.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Did you climb a tree & stab him with a Bowie knife? That'd be the story i told around the campfire after a few adult beverages.
    No but part of the story is having a rhino walk up on us in a ground blind. Pretty cool when you feel something in the ground & wonder WTF is that, only to see a rhino standing behind you. They can't see very well, but watching it's ears trying to pick up what it thinks it sees in a bush is exciting.

There's a funny dog story, some fine shooting. The best part was showing the P.H. I could call the troupe of baboons back. Something he never seen done! Dude never carried a rifle as reqiured by law after that day with me.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I understand what you're saying, but the overwhelming majority of the AR industry segregates AR's by "Piston" and DI", and that's not an exaggeration.
    Customers, manufacturers, reviewers, books, magazines, jokers on internet forums...

Yet DI is an actual thing, and when discussing how an AR works, needs to be pointed out

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

It is wrong, and frankly that needs to be nipped in the butt like calling magazines "clips" was. The AR-15 has always been and will always be a gas pistol system. Ian gets more respect from me in regard to technical knowledge than the average gun owner does for a very good reason. He knows his shit.

I do not believe an external gas giston system does anything to improve the reliability of the AR. It was already a reliable and proven system, and it can easily go thousands of rounds without an issue. Can it possibly improve reliability after several thousand rounds? Maybe, maybe not, but ask yourself. In what realistic situation are you going to have to put that many rounds through an AR without being able to clean or at least wipe off the bolt? Considering that a soldier typically carries around 7 mags (210 rounds), I'd wager that there is no realistic situation like that. At some point, additional reliability becomes a moot point, and the AR's internal gas piston system goes beyond that point. All an external gas piston system is going to do is add more parts and more weight to the rifle.

Top Bottom