• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • What is the ideal AR weight for practical/general use?

• Under 4lb

Votes: 3 6.3%
    • 4lb to 5lb

Votes: 4 8.3%
    • 5lb to 6lb

Votes: 11 22.9%
    • 6lb to 7lb

Votes: 17 35.4%
    • 7lb to 8lb

Votes: 9 18.8%
    • over 8lbs

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

jkingrph

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2008
    Jacksonville, Tx, W.Monroe, La
    I voted 6-7 lbs. I am thinking a full rifle length barrel, full stock. That would be heavy enough to aid in accuracy, and not so heavy as to be burdensome when carrying. I have some that I built, one carbine in the lower 5 lb range, and a couple of big bench/varmint types that probably run in the 10-11 lb range. Those are in 6.5 Grendel and have fairly heavy 26"barrels and muzzle brakes, along with the heavy Magpul fully adjustable target type stock. Don't want to carry those very far. My thinking is that I want a barrel heavy enough so it does not get hot rapidly, plus I never fire off enough rounds so fast as to heat it up. I have never found a barrel like I think would be ideal, radial machined in fins under the handguard, much like you see in some of the early Thompson sub machine guns, to dissipate heat rapidly.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I hear people say they're AR is 5lbs... but never seen or held one in carbine length 16". I think the only way to get down to 5lbs is pencil barrel, skeletonized upper & lower with carbon fiber handguard.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Read an article, years and years ago, about a super lightweight 16" AR. Wish I could remember where it was. I think, just think, he got the weight down to something like 4.5 pounds. But it was quite the expensive endeavor. Had skeleton this and that, with pencil barrel, and the latest, at the time, hybrid do-dads on it.

Was just a personal one-off type thing, just to see if he could do it. And have it be reliable in that build.

TrooperKbC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    This idea of "what's the best ______ to do everything" has been beaten to death. Haven't you heard the colloquialism "Jack of All Trades=Master of None"? If you want one that can do everything then you're talking a long heavy barrel with an optic, bipod, flashlight, nightvision/thermal, flared magwell, fully adjustable stock, ambi controls, etc. It's just not practical. The AR15, like most guns, was designed with a certain purpose. Don't use a screwdriver to beat in roofing nails. Don't use an AR15 to hunt bear or dove. Pick the most common way you intend to use it, then base the design off that. This is the method all the manufacturers use to design systems because it makes sense.

I voted 4-5 lbs which is without optic, suppressor, or ammo. I don't think any of mine are that light, but I've never owned one where I thought it was too light. Just under 5 lbs I believe is reasonable without sacrificing ruggedness. Personally, I'm not a fan of the really heavy options because then there are other rifles I'd rather be using. I also don't like the swiss cheese options because they are just, well, cheesy and lack reliability. Like most of the guys in the sandbox, I'm not really a fan of a scope on an AR15, and generally not a suppressor either.

That said, I know many guys who preferred the AK in the middle east over their ARs. Say what you want, DI or not, it's still a dirty system. Just because someone hadn't cleaned theirs ever doesn't mean you won't have to. Some people get 400k mi out of their chevy, but YMMV. With slicked up parts, proper gas system design, and avoidance of any and every adverse environmental condition may help. In realistic conditions though, I've seen many a bolt carrier get jammed in time-sensitive situations.

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I voted 6-7, because that includes optic and full mag. Totally reasonable if there's a LVPO or DMR optic, which are usually heavier. Could be around 5 to 6 with lighter options though. Really anywhere between 5-7 lbs I think is totally acceptable for something like a recce rifle or kind of reasonable do all build. Specialized builds will vary lighter or heavier.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Y’all are still not posting enough pics.

AR 9 w/10.5" barrel 6.6lbs empty
    AR 5.56 w/16" barrel 7.2lbs empty
    AR 6.5 Grendel w/16" barrel w/NV 10lbs empty

20200429_212531.jpg

Attachments

• 20200429_212531.jpg
      20200429_212531.jpg
      881.8 KB · Views: 348

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Well folks, my AR is a lot like it's owner. Tends to add weight with every passing year. If working on mylittle half section of paradise..I out the bare bones 300 blackout 16" upper on...when betting beers at the range I put the 21" 556 Vortec scope cheek rest bi-pod to work.
    I like the way the guy who said "keep it light or go .308" thinks and when hiking CO I carry a FAL.

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    Did you paint the Grendel green because you knew we all would be envious when looking at your stable?

haha.. thank you.
    i didnt want to paint it camo like the others & risk loosing it...lol.
    They are all custom frankenbuilds. the AR 9 is low cost Anderson/Bear Creek w/ a Splinta bolt & MEAN 9mm mag adapter. The 5.56 is a Spikes lower, with Stag BCG, barrel & upper. The Grendel i built around X mas time with Aero upper & lower, Wilson Combat barrel & Odin works BCG. I have a few more that were lost in a boating accident.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    d2b0adc6366dd656217c47dea1d59651.jpg

From the top, as shown with optic.
    No mag.

MC5/6, Vortex Razor HD Gen 2 1-6, integral Griffin Recce5:
    8.8 lbs
    (The optic alone is nearly 1.6 lbs!)
    *I have a shorter handguard that should lighten it up by a few ounces

Ghetto Blaster, Aimpoint Pro:
    6.2 lbs

MC5, Vortex Razor LH HD 1.5-8:
    7.6 lbs

PSA 8.5” pistol build, Sig Romeo 5:
    6.4 lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• d2b0adc6366dd656217c47dea1d59651.jpg
      d2b0adc6366dd656217c47dea1d59651.jpg
      1.5 MB · Views: 938

EZ-E

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    View attachment 211888

No mag.

8.8 lbs

6.2 lbs

7.6 lbs

6.4 lbs

i like that LAW adapter

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    View attachment 211888

No mag.

8.8 lbs

6.2 lbs

7.6 lbs

6.4 lbs

Now here's a guy that hates money. :D

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I built an upper last night, and it should make for a really light rifle. I stuck it on one of my complete lowers, and it completely changed the feel of the gun. I'll need the order a charging handle, a go gauge to check headspace, and put a sight on it before I shoot it, but I think this is going to be pone of my favorite rifles.

It's got a lightweight/slim MWI handguard on it, a 14.5" Faxon pencil barrel with an integrated flash hider bringing it out to 16", and an Aero upper made without a forward assist. With the bolt and the charging handle, it should weight 3.25 lb. The sight will add 3.0 oz. The lower I have planned will weight about 1.8 lb and will use a few nonstandard but really cool parts. The whole thing should weigh around 5.25 lb. It'll weight a little bit more if I decide to stick a magnifier on it. I think the one I have is about 11.5 oz.

Last edited:

Mohawk600

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    I built an upper last night, and it should make for a really light rifle. I stuck it on one of my complete lowers, and it completely changed the feel of the gun. I'll need the order a charging handle, a go gauge to check headspace, and put a sight on it before I shoot it, but I think this is going to be pone of my favorite rifles.

It's got a lightweight/slim MWI handguard on it, a 14.5" Faxon pencil barrel with an integrated flash hider bringing it out to 16", and an Aero upper made without a forward assist. With the bolt and the charging handle, it should weight 3.25 lb. The sight will add 3.0 oz. The lower I have planned will weight about 1.8 lb and will use a few nonstandard but really cool parts. The whole thing should weigh around 5.25 lb. It'll weight a little bit more if I decide to stick a magnifier on it. I think the one I have is about 11.5 oz.

I thought ARs were so plug and play that checking headspace on a new build is never an issue?????

Top Bottom