• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    This is one of the reasons I am very particular about whom I take classes with.

I would never agree to participate in such an act, from any perspective. As a student I would have asked for my money back and packed up and left.

I know A LOT of instructors, and none would allow such negligent behavior.

You , I , and Spreadfirearms are all in agreement on Tactical Response's training methods:eek:{ this would be my asteroid coming in face}

This is , from what I hear, standard practice with TR. SFA made some pretty good comments on AR15.com in the HTF Texas on a thread posting notice that TR would be in Bastrop in September. SFA declined an invitation to shoot with them for free because of the safety practices and no one would send him a copy of their liability insurance. I am pretty sure that TR's insurance would drop them like a hot rock if they knew that having people downrange during live fire was part of their training agenda.
    Hurley's Gold

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    So, are you saying that if you press hard enough and inward on the release button that the gun will fire? If that is the case, then surely this only happens when in single action mode and the safety disengaged, right?

NO, that's most definitely NOT what I'm saying! ;) What I'm saying is I've seen people draw with the SERPA and press the button inward by literally curling their finger around so it is pointing straight inward and the tip is pressing the button directly inwards. It is my understanding that people have drawn in this manner under stress in training (and even some fairly experienced LE types as well) while exerting significant pressure, and maintaining that index finger orientation and level of pressure as they draw the gun. The result is as the gun and their finger clears the holster, that pressure causes their finger to fly into the triggerguard and likely slam into the trigger. I don't do this. My index finger moves in more of a brushstroke manner. Actually, you know give me a bit of time and let me see if I can get a video up here later tonight to show you exactly what I'm talking about (I'll have to add it to my SERPA review as well).

For the average civilian, and for a run of the mill pistol training class, the risk of killing another human being during a normal training class because they want to get a cool camera angle shot is simply not worth it. The tactical advantage of having complete situational awareness, as well as learning to be on the ball and safe in a team environment makes sense for those that have reached that level, especially whose professions (LE/Mil) depend on it. I have nothing against regular civy's like us doing 360 degree "team" stuff like that for those that have reached that level, I'm just saying for a run of the mill pistol class the risk just is not worth it.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Thanks SF, I was hoping there was misunderstanding on my part. When I draw from my Serpa, my finger is in the same position it would be when not inside the trigger guard...fully extended, and I "brushstroke" (your gay term, not mine ) the release button.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Thanks SF, I was hoping there was misunderstanding on my part. When I draw from my Serpa, my finger is in the same position it would be when not inside the trigger guard...fully extended, and I "brushstroke" (your gay term, not mine ) the release button.
    and what would you call it? :rolleyes:

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    NO, that's most definitely NOT what I'm saying! ;) What I'm saying is I've seen people draw with the SERPA and press the button inward by literally curling their finger around so it is pointing straight inward and the tip is pressing the button directly inwards. It is my understanding that people have drawn in this manner under stress in training (and even some fairly experienced LE types as well) while exerting significant pressure, and maintaining that index finger orientation and level of pressure as they draw the gun. The result is as the gun and their finger clears the holster, that pressure causes their finger to fly into the triggerguard and likely slam into the trigger. I don't do this. My index finger moves in more of a brushstroke manner. Actually, you know give me a bit of time and let me see if I can get a video up here later tonight to show you exactly what I'm talking about (I'll have to add it to my SERPA review as well).

For the average civilian, and for a run of the mill pistol training class, the risk of killing another human being during a normal training class because they want to get a cool camera angle shot is simply not worth it. The tactical advantage of having complete situational awareness, as well as learning to be on the ball and safe in a team environment makes sense for those that have reached that level, especially whose professions (LE/Mil) depend on it. I have nothing against regular civy's like us doing 360 degree "team" stuff like that for those that have reached that level, I'm just saying for a run of the mill pistol class the risk just is not worth it.

Here's a vid about the SERPA issue I mentioned:

YouTube - Blackhawk SERPA Button Issue

Good video and explanation, but I'm still chalking it up to poor training methods. I've used a SERPA exclusively for a couple of years now, and never have actuated the button with my fingertip.

It should be ingrained that whenever you grip a handgun (comma rifle or shotgun), you should index your trigger finger flat on the frame (receiver) automatically. If it's ingrained, this will be incorporated into your draw stroke.

In my experience, most people, but especially LE types, spend far too little time on getting their draw stroke right.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Nine minute attempt to defend his stupidity.....I wonder what his insurance providers will do once they see his training methods?

Top Bottom