• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ellisj

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2021
    La Marque, Texas
    While I'm keeping my permit current for many of the reasons you stated above, I still think the entire permit scheme is itself an infringement on our enumerated right to keep and bear arms.

The very idea of asking permission to exercise a right is at odds with the concept of it being a right at all, instead of a "privilege" to be doled out by a clerk after you pay your money, sit through the useless classes and hit the paper for your "qualification."

I would like to see the day when we scrap the entire thing and stop asking permission to do things that we were endowed by our creator with the natural right to do in the first place.

Why should the law-abiding bear the burden and expense of "proving ourselves worthy" to clerks or politicians in order to exercise the same rights every criminal gets for free?
    I agree. If Texas passes this law soon then I will forget about getting a LTC. Just them talking about it has kept me from getting one. I hope it becomes law soon.
    Venture Surplus ad

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    So, despite what I think WILL happen, I'm still ALLOWED to be impatient, because of what COULD happen?

Whether we are patient, or impatient, he is either going to sign into law or not, and after 21 days, it automatically becomes law whether he signs it or not, or he vetoes the bill!

At this point, what's going to happen, is going to happen and it's out of our control now. The only suggestion I could make, would be for everyone to continue with the phone calls and emails voicing our support for him to sign it into law.

Ellisj

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2021
    La Marque, Texas
    That is entirely possible, but Abbott said several months ago, if the bill gets to his desk, that he would sign it into law. I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt, that he going to keep his word on this. I haven't seen or read anything that leads me to think otherwise yet.
    I don't trust Abbott. We need a stronger Gov. in the vein of Trump and DeSantos. I hope Abbott gets a primary challenge so we have a choice.

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    Whether we are patient, or impatient, he is either going to sign into law or not, and after 21 days, it automatically becomes law whether he signs it or not, or he vetoes the bill!

At this point, what's going to happen, is going to happen and it's out of our control now. The only suggestion I could make, would be for everyone to continue with the phone calls and emails voicing our support for him to sign it into law.
    20 days from adjournment is the way I read it, so Abbott has until June 20th to sign or veto, right?

That's a lot of time for an event to occur that might force his hand, seeing as how events seem to most always happen with near perfect timing for the antigun agenda.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    There's a LOT of schedules to be coordinated - you can pretty much bet that anyone that had any level of involvement with this bill is going to want to be present, so it's going to be a logistical nightmare, I'm sure.
    As a practical matter, we've waited 150 years to reverse the Democratic-passed law put in place to deny blacks the right to carry a firearm. I figure a little more wait isn't going to bother me.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    20 days from adjournment is the way I read it, so Abbott has until June 20th to sign or veto, right?

That's a lot of time for an event to occur that might force his hand, seeing as how events seem to most always happen with near perfect timing for the antigun agenda.

I think that is correct. Anything is possible. But sitting around worrying or wringing our hands, isn't going to make anything happen before it happens, whatever does happen.

I will say this, If Abbott reneges on signing it, or vetoes the bill, I think he knows that would be political suicide for him. As long as he signs that bill as he said he would, I'm can cut him a lot of slack on many things. But if he doesn't, and just lets the 21 days expire, and it automatically goes into law, or he vetoes the bill, I'll sure be looking at a replacement to vote for against Abbott for sure.

Reactions: gll

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    There's a LOT of schedules to be coordinated - you can pretty much bet that anyone that had any level of involvement with this bill is going to want to be present, so it's going to be a logistical nightmare, I'm sure.
    As a practical matter, we've waited 150 years to reverse the Democratic-passed law put in place to deny blacks the right to carry a firearm. I figure a little more wait isn't going to bother me.

Texas Redneck,

I hear you BUT I'm SICK to DEATH of all this pussyfooting around.

IMO, the bill SHOULD have been signed into law the morning after it was passed.

yours, satx

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I hear you BUT I'm SICK to DEATH of all this pussyfooting around.

IMO, the bill SHOULD have been signed into law the morning after it was passed.

With ALL due respect....grow up. We've lived under this archaic, racist rule for 150 years. Hopefully, he's putting together one helluva signing party! In the meantime, I'm having a ball watching all the lib heads explode.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    With ALL due respect....grow up. We've lived under this archaic, racist rule for 150 years. Hopefully, he's putting together one helluva signing party! In the meantime, I'm having a ball watching all the lib heads explode.

TexasRedneck,

Let's agree to disagree. = I personally DESPISE "pussyfooting around" & want ALL of these racist/archaic laws REPEALED & NOW.

Further, IMHO, the law should have gone into full effect as soon as it could be signed into law.
    01SEP21 is about 90 days TOO LATE, IMO.

yours, satx

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    Politics is a very convoluted and wierd beast. Abbott is going to get the most mileage out of signing this bill he can. He will use it to rub in the face of Biden and Harris, Pelosi and Schumer. He will use it to highlight the border problem and any other issue that he can that can even remotely be assigned to the bill. He is going to coordinate the schedules of TSRA GOA and other gun rights groups and make sure he can minimize any influence muther demanding or anyone antigun. The hardest thing to teach non politcal world people is that politics is drama on steroids. There is no right or wrong, there is only win. No morality, no good vs evil. it is all about the political win.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    TexasRedneck,

Let's agree to disagree. = I personally DESPISE "pussyfooting around" & want ALL of these racist/archaic laws REPEALED & NOW.

Further, IMHO, the law should have gone into full effect as soon as it could be signed into law.
    01SEP21 is about 90 days TOO LATE, IMO.

yours, satx

We can WANT all we want - then there's real life. It's going to take time to print the law, put out "effective notice", and ensure proper compliance by various LE agencies by ensuring that they have accurate copies of the actual law. Lots of reference books/manuals will have to be changed, as will cirriculum at all LE training centers state-wide.

That's just hard, cold reality, bud. Like it or not.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    We can WANT all we want - then there's real life. It's going to take time to print the law, put out "effective notice", and ensure proper compliance by various LE agencies by ensuring that they have accurate copies of the actual law. Lots of reference books/manuals will have to be changed, as will cirriculum at all LE training centers state-wide.

That's just hard, cold reality, bud. Like it or not.

TexasRedneck,

In 20921, EVERYTHING that you said that HAD to be done for the law to take effect could have been done by computer in TWELVE to TWENTY-FOUR hours OR LESS. = All the required documents could have been pre-prepared (MOST of the stuff is "boiler plate".) & ready to be downloaded to all required addressees.
    (This is NOT back in the the "horse & buggy days".)

A TEXAS-WIDE TV address by the Governor LIKELY would have legally sufficed. = We Texas folks don't NEED a "signing party".

yours, satx

Ellisj

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2021
    La Marque, Texas
    Hows that, we have a law that says black people can't have guns? I know lots of black people that have guns legally. Why are you saying this?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Hows that, we have a law that says black people can't have guns? I know lots of black people that have guns legally. Why are you saying this?

Ever heard of the Jim Crow laws in the southern states after the ending of the Civil War? Most of those laws were enacted to deny many rights and freedoms to blacks, including the right to own or possess firearms.

@TexasRedneck isn't saying they still exist, just that those laws existed at that time, over 150 years ago.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

Do yourself a favor and educate yourself. This is NOT said to "blast" you, but as a warning to EVERYONE that we ALL need to better understand how some of the laws we have now came about. Just google "why did Texas outlaw carrying guns". Oh - and go back and READ what I wrote. What you took away from it is FAR from what I wrote.

Ellisj

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2021
    La Marque, Texas
    I did read this history of Texas gun control and although it is largely written by liberals and mostly all opinion as to why these laws were passed, I can find no law or history that says "black" or "negro" or any reference to color in these passed laws. And as far as I can tell, it has never been a crime for blacks to own long guns in Texas, either before or after the civil war. And "Jim Crow" is a liberal talking point meant to scare people of color and has no place in today's political debate, imo.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I did read this history of Texas gun control and although it is largely written by liberals and mostly all opinion as to why these laws were passed, I can find no law or history that says "black" or "negro" or any reference to color in these passed laws. And as far as I can tell, it has never been a crime for blacks to own long guns in Texas, either before or after the civil war. And "Jim Crow" is a liberal talking point meant to scare people of color and has no place in today's political debate, imo.

You read some of it....there's more - here's one story about it. This isn't rumor - it's historical fact, even if the liberal press would like to ignore it.

Ellisj

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2021
    La Marque, Texas
    As I said before, I have read the article, written by liberals, some at the Houston Chronicle, and still no reference to color in any of these laws. Also as I said before, in Texas, people of color were never barred from owning long guns and so I fail to see how this disarms the black population when they can still legally own and carry any rifle or shotgun they please. I really hate it when people, usually liberals, insist on injecting race into everything. Even if everything in these articles are true, which they aren't, it has absolutely nothing to do with today's new Texas gun law. We conservatives insisted this law pass because it is our 2A right, and not to correct some perceived past wrong to black people. And this law will also have no mention of color in it.

Top Bottom