Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Makes me want to get a stack just so I can have something for my money that’s being taken and wasted.
    Good idea. But I am seriously wondering if there are places where the average CVS customer is so afraid of going maskless that the masks must still be rationed at 3 per person. Obviously that's not the case where I live. Are there any such places left in Texas?
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Good idea. But I am seriously wondering if there are places where the average CVS customer is so afraid of going maskless that the masks must still be rationed at 3 per person. Obviously that's not the case where I live. Are there any such places left in Texas?

Maybe around the Austin area. I really don’t see masks that often anymore though traveling from Waxahachie to Round Rock. Typically only a few seen at Buccees if I stop in. Maybe a couple in the Jarrel travel center.

Come to think of it, I probably should have a few more dust masks for when the wife thinks up our next home improvement project.

Kind of what I was thinking. Hell, already paid for them so why not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Rarely see masks any more.
    On my way back from Academy this morning, I passed a 20 something lady waiting at the bus stop BY HER SELF wearing a mask. Bright, sunny day outside with nobody else around. They must have stopped teaching critical thinking skills in the schools over the past 20-30 years.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    to be fair folks masks would have prevented or severely reduced most flu epidemics. Asia hardly ever has major outbreaks of seasonal (not pig flu or avian flu) flu because they usually wear masks all flu season.

So let's not just throw the baby out with the bath water. I had masks before the pandemic for several reasons, including a deadly flu or other viral outbreak.

they have their place, they just don't work too well for SARS-COV-2

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    to be fair folks masks would have prevented or severely reduced most flu epidemics. Asia hardly ever has major outbreaks of seasonal (not pig flu or avian flu) flu because they usually wear masks all flu season.

So let's not just throw the baby out with the bath water. I had masks before the pandemic for several reasons, including a deadly flu or other viral outbreak.

Incorrect. The cheap paper and mask facemasks (e.g., not N95) are not effective at preventing virus spread. So no, unless you are referring to N95 (which only a tiny percentage of people are using).

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Incorrect. The cheap paper and mask facemasks (e.g., not N95) are not effective at preventing virus spread. So no, unless you are referring to N95 (which only a tiny percentage of people are using).

You too can be a scientist.

They said probably but not enough study has been done. So 3 years later a study more comprehensively was done.

Reduced the virus outside the mask from 1 to 55 times. Pretty freaking good

I'm not talking about COV 19.. I'm saying for general influenza it's actually pretty good. Different viruses and different sizes. SARS-COV-2 is one of the smallest viruses there is. Influenza is a factor of 10 times larger than SARS-COV-2. N95 are superior for both, but other mask types are helpful in preventing influenza spread.

Last edited:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    >

Several states still have "mask mandates" for Physician's offices. These are enforced via Medical Boards and Health Departments.

The reasons are not all biological. Reasons become more specious and doubtful by the day.

Ill folks should continue to "mask"

But the masks available and "mandated" are still the WRONG type for their stated purpose(s).

Please don't blame the individual Physician.

leVieux

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I was surprised to see many masks at both Uvalde HEB and Walmart last week; maybe 30%, mostly Hispanic or older persons.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You too can be a scientist.

They said probably but not enough study has been done. So 3 years later a study more comprehensively was done.

Reduced the virus outside the mask from 1 to 55 times. Pretty freaking good

I'm not talking about COV 19.. I'm saying for general influenza it's actually pretty good. Different viruses and different sizes. SARS-COV-2 is one of the smallest viruses there is. Influenza is a factor of 10 times larger than SARS-COV-2. N95 are superior for both, but other mask types are helpful in preventing influenza spread.
    From a study of medical research performed by the CATO institute:
    Yet, there is little consensus that masking — at least as commonly practiced in the United States, using cloth masks — is effective at suppressing various types of respiratory infection. In the surgical operating room context, a review by the Cochrane Collaboration — a widely respected nonprofit that provides comprehensive, evidence‐based summaries on various medical topics — found “no statistically significant difference in infection rates between the masked and unmasked group in any of the trials.” Another Cochrane review, of masking and influenza‐like illness, found “that wearing a mask may make little or no difference to the outcome of influenza‐like illness … compared to not wearing a mask.”

The only two sizeable studies evaluating masks in the context of COVID-19 failed to demonstrate statistically significant reductions in confirmed viral transmission either for surgical masks (one study) or for cloth masks (the other).

The first study, conducted from April to June 2020 in Denmark, found that 42 (1.8%) of 2,392 subjects provided with more than four dozen three‐layer surgical masks reported SARS‐CoV‑2 infection, versus 53 (2.1%) of 2,470 in the control group. That is a difference of only 0.3%, which is not statistically significant (p = 0.38). Although adherence to masking instructions was imperfect, an analysis of only those self‐reporting that they did adhere to the protocol also failed to find a benefit. The Danish study evaluated only the ability of masks to protect the wearer and did not test their ability to prevent infection to others (“source control”).

Relative to the mask openings, the size in the various viruses is immaterial. Using a shopping cart to filter sand.

And my first degree was in applied science.

A much larger study in Bangladesh examined the ability of masks to reduce community‐wide infection rates, including as source control. Six hundred cluster‐randomized villages were studied between November 2020 and January 2021. Including the data of only the 40% of those reporting symptoms who consented to blood collection, the laboratory‐confirmed SARS‐CoV‑2 rate was 0.76% in control villages (n = 146,783) versus 0.74% in villages cross‐randomized to wear cloth masks (n = 54,122), a difference of just 0.02% that was not statistically significant (p = 0.540). On the other hand, in surgical mask villages, there was a statistically significant difference (p = 0.043), but it was small, just 0.09%. Extrapolating the study’s data, 406 people had to wear masks for eight weeks to prevent one lab‐confirmed case of SARS‐CoV‑2. Also of interest, five‐month follow‐up surveillance revealed that proper mask use dramatically declined within intervention villages from approximately 28% to 14%, raising questions about long‐term feasibility.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    you're talking COVID studies. Applied sciences degree but can't tell the difference between virus types.. facepalm
    And you cannot read. facepalm.

You wrote:
    "SARS-COV-2 is one of the smallest viruses there is. Influenza is a factor of 10 times larger than SARS-COV-2."

I pointed out that the type virus is irrelevant to filtration, as all viruses are miniscule compared to the openings in the masks being use.

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    And you cannot read. facepalm.

You wrote:
    "SARS-COV-2 is one of the smallest viruses there is. Influenza is a factor of 10 times larger than SARS-COV-2."

I pointed out that the type virus is irrelevant to filtration, as all viruses are miniscule compared to the openings in the masks being use.

And that's wrong. Size does matter, your wife lied to you.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    And that's wrong. Size does matter, your wife lied to you.
    So you are a sophomore in high school?

Look up the size of the biggest virus you can find. Then compare it to the opening size in the masks. Then admit, to yourself at least, you are wrong.

Here is a hint:
    Ten years ago, researchers accidentally discovered mimivirus, what until now was the biggest, most complex virus known. Mimivirus — a name derived from "mimicking microbes," chosen because the viruses were nearly the size of some bacteria — and its relatives the megaviruses can reach sizes of more than 700 nanometers (a nanometer is one billionth of a meter),

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston

Ya, I get that. But, even if the masks did any bit of good on Covid, why are people wearing them while alone in their car, alone outside- walking or at the bus stop? I generally don’t look down my nose at people, but these folks are absolute idiots. I have zero respect for them.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Ya, I get that. But, even if the masks did any bit of good on Covid, why are people wearing them while alone in their car, alone outside- walking or at the bus stop? I generally don’t look down my nose at people, but these folks are absolute idiots. I have zero respect for them.
    Cause.....

They Chevy lovers.....

1646102447497.png

They puts them a different dildo in they fool mask .......every day!

Top Bottom