• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • If open carry was legal, how often would you do so?

• Always (80-100% of the time I carried)

Votes: 14 18.2%
    • Sometimes (30-80% of the time I carried)

Votes: 21 27.3%
    • Rarely (1-30% of the time I carried)

• Never (0%)

• Total voters
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Again, as I have said, I know it is technically illegal, but I can also tell you in rural Texas it is done all the time. You must be a "city boy"...lol
    I thought the thread was discussing the legality, not what is "done all the time".Speeding is done all the time....street drugs are sold all the time....people get ripped off all the time. I dont recommend doing any of them, nor does it make them legal.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I thought the thread was discussing the legality, not what is "done all the time".Speeding is done all the time....street drugs are sold all the time....people get ripped off all the time. I dont recommend doing any of them, nor does it make them legal.

Actually, the thread wasn't discussing the legality. It was assuming the legality (i.e. "If legal"). People here can't ever stay on topic, lol.

The funny thing is that it's either a right or it isn't. Debating back and forth on statistics have no bearing on a right; they only impact laws & privileges. Laws don't impact the morality of rights either, they only dictate how the "state" will respond as no "state" can legislate rights (only acknowledge them). Since we're assuming the legality (see title of thread), none of these discussion matter and made this thread ridiculously long for me to catch up on when I came back, lol.

Back on track...

How often I'd OC would depend on the situations I was in. And, assuming it was legal (again, see title of thread), I would appreciate the fact that I got to decide between those situations and make my own damn decision.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Mexican_Hippie

You are correct, the purpose of this thread was to discussion how often people on here would OC if legal!

I think there may be some confusion with the other thread which asked whether an OC bill would pass the legislature. The discussions overlap and that may be what is throwing people off.

And honestly, I have to admit the more I think about, the more I might actually OC if it were legal. I don't think I'd change my answer of "Rarely (1-30% of the time I carried)" but I can think of opportunities when it would be convenient. My wife and I had a prolonged discussion about OC over lunch today, and I found myself in favor of such a law but still thinking that the vast majority of time I would still conceal carry. But much like a parachute, it would be better to have such a law and not need/use it than to need it and not have it!

Still, as the other thread shows, the chances of such a bill making its way through the entire journey to the governor's desk for signature is still highly unlikely...

Cheers! M2

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    majormadmax;210432. said:
    But much like a parachute, it would be better to have such a law and not need/use it than to need it and not have it!

Cheers! M2

That is an interesting statement. As I have pointed out before, one of the reasons we got concealed carry was the emotional testimony from Suzanna Hupp. If someone can testify that had they just been allowed to open carry instead of concealing their gun they could have prevented a similar tragedy you will get OC in the next session, I'll bet.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Actually, the thread wasn't discussing the legality. It was assuming the legality (i.e. "If legal"). People here can't ever stay on topic, lol.

The funny thing is that it's either a right or it isn't. Debating back and forth on statistics have no bearing on a right; they only impact laws & privileges. Laws don't impact the morality of rights either, they only dictate how the "state" will respond as no "state" can legislate rights (only acknowledge them). Since we're assuming the legality (see title of thread), none of these discussion matter and made this thread ridiculously long for me to catch up on when I came back, lol.

Back on track...

How often I'd OC would depend on the situations I was in. And, assuming it was legal (again, see title of thread), I would appreciate the fact that I got to decide between those situations and make my own damn decision.
    Initially, yes. It then took a bit of a twist, but I digress. We should stay on topic.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    My wife and I had a prolonged discussion about OC over lunch today, and I found myself in favor of such a law but still thinking that the vast majority of time I would still conceal carry. But much like a parachute, it would be better to have such a law and not need/use it than to need it and not have it!
    Cheers! M2

I agree 110%. Nobody is claiming that we will " Have" to open carry. It should simply be a choice.
    It's simply a constitutional right that we should have and be able to choose when we want to exercise it.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    I was looking at vacation spots myself this week. My kids want to go to Disney, but I prefer a cruise.......

Oh, wait.

I think we are talking about 2 different things....nevermind.
    I read a news article last week about a recent cruise ship that broke dont in the middle of the trip. No Power, they had to fly Spam in by helicopter for people to eat, all passengers were stranded on the powerless ship while tugboats pulled it back to shore.
    Make sure you find out which one it was and dont get on it!!

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I read a news article last week about a recent cruise ship that broke dont in the middle of the trip. No Power, they had to fly Spam in by helicopter for people to eat, all passengers were stranded on the powerless ship while tugboats pulled it back to shore.
    Make sure you find out which one it was and dont get on it!!
    It was the Carnival Spendour. That probably didnt make for a fun week, but I bet that is probably the safest ship on the high seas today. I have been on numerous cruises on Carnival, Royal Carribbean, and Norweigan. They were all a blast. I wouldn't hesitate to sail on any of them again.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I think that's about as close to a consensus as we're gonna see. If I may be so bold, I would venture that the vast majority of us on here favor any new law that expands our rights as gun owners. Now, whether some of will partake in open carry will be a personal decision; but at least we would have that option. I honestly don't think there is a person here that would be against such a law, at most they may chose never to OC. That's certainly their right and we all would respect it.

And sure, it would take some "adjusting" by the general public but again honestly I think that would come without much fanfare or commotion, much like when concealed carry was first allowed. Yes, there is the distinct difference in that OC would be much more visible; but I do believe that after a short while it would be a non-issue.

However, as txinvestigator so aptly observed, it will probably take a tragedy similar to the Luby's massacre in Killeen to garner the emotional support to get such a bill passed. It would take such an incident, and the concentrated efforts afterward such as those by Suzanna Hupp, before we'd have any chance of this happening. That is a sad fact, but a fact nonetheless.

But to end on a positive note, my little poll on City-Data is showing that a two-thirds majority support such a law. Granted, it is a very small sample; but if a much larger poll found similar support, it could help "the cause!"

Cheers! M2

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Interesting. Seems that the law hasn't really changed much concerning carry of pistols over the past 110 years...
    No, and the only change we have had was because of a lady named Suzanna Hupp.
    Without her, we would not even have the CHL!
    The most offensive statement I have read on this website is the recent statements that open carry will not be possible without another event such as Luby's! How is that regulating the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime?

KAK

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Waco
    You dont wanna ever spend time on a boat while trapped somehow. It becomes claustrophobic and discussing.

I was on a friends 82 foot sportfisher about 150 miles east of the Abacos having a blast for 2 days slaying the wahoo, mahi, and sushi grade tunas when a storm hundereds of miles away kicked up 18-25 foot seas. We pulled in behind some little barrier island and spent a WEEK there waiting on the hook for the weather to change. That boat sure got small. After the week we tried to make a run for Ft Lauderdale which was about 12 hours out in ideal conditions. At this point the seas were about a consistent 18 feet now but still nasty. In a yacht the furniture is bolted to the floor but that didnt stop the dinner table from crashing through a cabinet. We got back 24 hours later, I puked everything out of me and I had never been seasick in my life. At least I didnt have to eat spam. I do allot of inshore and nearshore fishing now.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    You dont wanna ever spend time on a boat while trapped somehow.

No, I wouldn't. Although a 1000 foot cruise ship is a bit more accomodating than an 82 foot sportfisher. I have been on boats of both sizes tons of times, and the idea of getting stuck sucks, but I equate not cruising to not flying because the plane might crash. It happens so infrequently, I dont even worry about it.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    See 46.15(b)

If you are traveling, regardless of the mode of travel, the law that generally proscibes the carry of handguns does not apply to you.

Except that the definition of traveling is usually at the discretion of the cop you run into. And many seem to be of the mind that they should just arrest you and let the court sort it out on your dime.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Except that the definition of traveling is usually at the discretion of the cop you run into. And many seem to be of the mind that they should just arrest you and let the court sort it out on your dime.

icon_ditto.jpg

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom