Lynx Defense

If Open Carry ever comes to Texas, I hope everyone has.........

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    He could have been asking for ID to make sure the kids were 21 they do look a bit young. He could have showed his ID and went on his way.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    He could have been asking for ID to make sure the kids were 21 they do look a bit young. He could have showed his ID and went on his way.
    That's a good point. But, when asked why he had to show ID the Officer responded "you might be violating bail conditions".

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    With what do you disagree? Stopping someone to ask questions and preventing them from leaving is the definition of an investigative detention.

disagree?: what the heck have we been discussing? 1. I agree he was not being detained. 2.I disagree with your opinion on this matter....3. I agree we have different viewpoints and opinions on this matter...
    :deadhorse:

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I know the definition of the word "detention".. thank you sir... just like my previous post..... we have to agree to disagree and leave it at that.....cool?

I mean in the context of criminal procedure. An hour on Google would cover it. It's an important thing to know, regardless of our disagreement.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    We should not live in a state where a person who is doing no wrong can be compelled to give ID.

Lived in Argentina for a couple of years. No ID = Jail. Cop came up for papers and I had to produce. You get a jack ass cop there on a power trip and it's an every day thing.

Monday "Papers Please?" Tuesday "Papers Please?" Wednesday "Papers Please?" Thursday "Papers Please?" Friday "Papers Please?" Saturday "Papers Please?"

After being harassed I'd have loved to have had this kids options.

I had to alter routs and stopped going to places I knew I'd run into them. This restricted my freedom of choice where I walked and visited. It was a scarlet letter of sorts that could tie me up a few min to an hour each time I went out.

Kid was open carrying and not doing anything wrong he shouldn't be detained or compelled to identify himself. There is no freedom or rights when an authority can detain and compel a person at will when that person has done NOTHING wrong.

It's easy to comply. I agree. That does nothing for the rights or the next day when asked "Papers Please?"

This guy is saying "I want to walk here and feel free."

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    are you saying they're crooked simply because they dont know the laws of the state? or for some other reason?

You're right, my statement that you quoted is clumsy. I believe they are crooked because they detained a man with no reasonable suspicion that any crime was being committed. This is assuming they are aware open carry of handguns is not illegal in their state. If they have no idea what the laws of their state say about carry of weapons (which I just can't believe), and they choose to detain people based on purely ignorant assumption, then I would have to say they are also crooked.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    What do you think he's trying to prove then?

seriously? you think he's just strolling along with an open carry because he wants to be free there - armed with copies of the law, behaving like he was (and i'll give him credit for handling it the way he did, in spite of his motivation)

just my opinion, but he was either trying to prove that he's smarter than the cops - or that he's got some sort of power over them because of the way the situation worked out

"walking there and feeling free".....funny, i'll give you that

Chupacabra Hunter

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Corpus Christi TX
    We should not live in a state where a person who is doing no wrong can be compelled to give ID.

Lived in Argentina for a couple of years. No ID = Jail. Cop came up for papers and I had to produce. You get a jack ass cop there on a power trip and it's an every day thing.

Monday "Papers Please?" Tuesday "Papers Please?" Wednesday "Papers Please?" Thursday "Papers Please?" Friday "Papers Please?" Saturday "Papers Please?"

After being harassed I'd have loved to have had this kids options.

I had to alter routs and stopped going to places I knew I'd run into them. This restricted my freedom of choice where I walked and visited. It was a scarlet letter of sorts that could tie me up a few min to an hour each time I went out.

Kid was open carrying and not doing anything wrong he shouldn't be detained or compelled to identify himself. There is no freedom or rights when an authority can detain and compel a person at will when that person has done NOTHING wrong.

It's easy to comply. I agree. That does nothing for the rights or the next day when asked "Papers Please?"

This guy is saying "I want to walk here and feel free."

i understand about the loss of freedom....we should protect what the constitution has given us.... you were obviously harrassed in argentina for no reason... different scenario here....

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    seriously? you think he's just strolling along with an open carry because he wants to be free there - armed with copies of the law, behaving like he was (and i'll give him credit for handling it the way he did, in spite of his motivation)

just my opinion, but he was either trying to prove that he's smarter than the cops - or that he's got some sort of power over them because of the way the situation worked out

"walking there and feeling free".....funny, i'll give you that

I understand this take on it, and you may be right (maybe he is just a punk), but there is another possible explanation. What if this has happened frequently in his area? What if the Police where he lives are known to stop people illegally and demand ID? Then, behaving as he did with the recording device, I'd say this young man is an activist fighting against Police corruption. Like I said before, I think understanding his motivation requires more information. If all he wanted to do was make a cop look foolish, your view may be correct. But if he went further to file complaints or a suit, this kid is a true American.

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    You're right, my statement that you quoted is clumsy. I believe they are crooked because they detained a man with no reasonable suspicion that any crime was being committed. This is assuming they are aware open carry of handguns is not illegal in their state. If they have no idea what the laws of their state say about carry of weapons (which I just can't believe), and they choose to detain people based on purely ignorant assumption, then I would have to say they are also crooked.

you've got a pretty strict/unrealistic opinion/definition of "crooked" - just my opinion

you ought to spend time in a district attorney's office - you'd think those types would know the law well enough to not need a library full of legal reference books

here's the problem with open carry - especially in a place like Maine........NOBODY does it - so when you've got two clowns walking thru a crowded area with guns on their hips - people are going to call the police - its a natural reaction - especially in today's society....and you expect the cops to not go check it out? gimme a friggin break....me thinks some of you arent thinking thru the entire scenario - but again - just my opinion

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    you've got a pretty strict/unrealistic opinion/definition of "crooked" - just my opinion
    I agree, I do. I believe the enormous powers we award some of our public servants require a stricter level of scrutiny than should face the ordinary person.

here's the problem with open carry - especially in a place like Maine........NOBODY does it - so when you've got two clowns walking thru a crowded area with guns on their hips - people are going to call the police - its a natural reaction - especially in today's society....and you expect the cops to not go check it out? gimme a friggin break....me thinks some of you arent thinking thru the entire scenario - but again - just my opinion
    "Nobody does it" does not equate to illegal. Another reason the guy was OCing, maybe to educate the average citizen that the activity is in fact not illegal in his state. Someone gets scared, OK, the cops come out to see what is going on, I understand that too, but they crossed the line when they detained a citizen on zero evidence of criminal activity.

If I call the Police to report a guy with baggy pants, should they come out and detain him?

just jk

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    dee eff dub
    "Nobody does it" does not equate to illegal. Another reason the guy was OCing, maybe to educate the average citizen that the activity is in fact not illegal in his state. Someone gets scared, OK, the cops come out to see what is going on, I understand that too, but they crossed the line when they detained a citizen on zero evidence of criminal activity.

If I call the Police to report a guy with baggy pants, should they come out and detain him?

i get that its legal - but you're not being realistic - at all.......and how the hell is comparing a report of a dude with baggy pants to a dude carrying a gun in the open even make sense?

you should spend some time in the shoes of the police before you engage in some of the criticism's i've seen you post....no offense, but you're extremely naive, and you're what i refer to as a wannabe - you read google and all the links and think somehow you've got all the answers

whatever....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom