• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cssmith56

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    The Kel-Tec Sub 2000 was being sold for about $375 at one point. Great little carbine that takes glock mags and can fold down quite compact.

I looked up the keltec... Very impressive for the price... It seems they are relatively hard to come by? Will definitely consider this later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I've had the AR-7 since about 1978. The rifle breaks down into pieces that are stored in the rather plump buttstock. It floats, too! When I got mine, they were made by "Charter Arms" It has a primitive peep sight that is adjustable for elevation. The barrel is a tube cast within a die cast barrel body. I never shot it well because it is butt end heavy and light in the muzzle. It is, far better than nothing at all.

I also owned the Marlin Papoose that comes in a soft carry case and the Stainless Steel barrel is removed by loosening a large nut at the barrel base. A spanner wrench is included. It is actually a Marlin model 60 that has been modified for takedown. The receiver is silver aluminum to match the barrel. Like the AR-7, I didn't shoot it well because it is very muzzle light. It comes with standard rifle iron sights.

Of the two rifles, the AR-7 was smaller when collapsed but accuracy was so-so. The Papoose has a a better rifle but somewhat larger. I sold the Papoose. Either rifle will work for your purpose.

Ruger 10-22 rifles now come as a "takedown" model. Maybe someone can share their experiences with them. I have NO experience with the 10-22 take down model.

Flash

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    I looked up the keltec... Very impressive for the price... It seems they are relatively hard to come by? Will definitely consider this later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ruger also made a camp carbine that I would buy in a second if I found one

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Must be some stupid rabbits in hill country, after a life time of hunting your comment makes me think you've hunted very little small game, and since when is there ever a case of too much gun or too much ammo. You can't get an AK or AR for under $250 but you sure can get an "old hunting rifle" which pretty much was what was used to fight several world wars. I'd take an old hunting rifle any day over a rimfire in any SHTF situation whether it be man made or nature having a bad day.

I don't live in hill country, but have hunted rabbits from San Saba county down to South Texas, Hutto, and my home. They all act the same. Maybe you aren't very quiet, or maybe need to get real close based on your marksmanship abilities.

A .22 is all that's needed and in a survival situation could even be used on deer.

If you are on your way home an need to fight your way there... By yourself....you will have much better odds with something fairly quiet and staying under the radar than blasting around with an AR or AK.

Besides a being able to carry 500-1000 rounds instead of 20-40 for an old hunting rifle.

MrBigIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    What an entertaining thread! It's funny how someone can ask a relatively simple question and get such off-the-wall answers. It's like people read the question, decide they don't like the question, re-arrange the question to suit them, THEN answer it. LOL!

Well, not all people, but several of them.

With a budget of less than $250, you're looking at a decent used .22 or a budget level new .22. You can get a new Marlin 10/22 for that, but it'll be the wood/blued version and might go over after tax/shipping/transfer fees. Not much over though, if you shop around.

I like the previous suggestion of a lever-action for reliability and non-picky ammo digestion. But I don't know what the used market is like for Winchester 9422s.

I bought a Winchester Wildcat bolt-action .22 a few years ago that was imported but actually quite nice and cost around 150 bucks new with two magazines. I don't know if they're still offering those though?

Your best bet may be to attend a local gun show and look at the used .22 rifles. I'm sure you could find one within your budget that would work splendidly for your purpose.

As for the single-shot Rossi .22/.410 switch barrel rifles, I can say this... bought one for my son several years ago. The .22 was nice. The .410 was ridiculous. Maybe it was the shorter stock, but that thing kicked harder than my 16-gauge. I thought my son was being wimpy when he said it kicked (a .410???), but then I shot it and was shocked. We sold the thing about a week later and I would never buy another.

Fred B.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'm surprised nobody said a Moisin. I know, I know - it ain't no .22, but it would be my truck gun of choice.

MrBigIron

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2014
    Getcha yesself a gun rack, baby! Cut 6' off a Mosin-Nagant barrel and throw that in the top rack! Getcha an SKS fer the bottom rack! (No extended bayonet though!) Hide ya an AK under the seat and by gawd you'll be ready fer anythin'! Is Yugo Automotive still in business? Do they make a pick-up?

Fred B.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I've shot tons of rabbits with a 22. It's more than enough. I've also taken them with air guns, and once, a throwing knife.

If your budget is <$300 you can get a very high quality suppressed air rifle. Louis and Clark used one to survive on their journey similar to the new PCP ones. They work.

Beside that you can carry tons of ammo for very cheap and you won't draw attention to yourself.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    I've shot tons of rabbits with a 22. It's more than enough. I've also taken them with air guns, and once, a throwing knife.

If your budget is <$300 you can get a very high quality suppressed air rifle. Louis and Clark used one to survive on their journey similar to the new PCP ones. They work.

Beside that you can carry tons of ammo for very cheap and you won't draw attention to yourself.

Can one own a suppressed air rifle without the "tax stamp"? I believe the air rifle L&C carried was beefy enough to kill buffalo.;)

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Can one own a suppressed air rifle without the "tax stamp"? I believe the air rifle L&C carried was beefy enough to kill buffalo.;)

The Girandoni air rifle was a .46 caliber rifle and L&C reportedly only used it for demonstrations not for "survival". Considering that the rifle was a bit on the delicate side it makes since. Air rifles are not "Firearms" so no tax stamp is needed.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    The Girandoni air rifle was a .46 caliber rifle and L&C reportedly only used it for demonstrations not for "survival". Considering that the rifle was a bit on the delicate side it makes since. Air rifles are not "Firearms" so no tax stamp is needed.

No tax stamp needed for an "sir rifle" regardless of caliber... but for a "suppressed" air rifle??

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth

That's not what I read but it doesn't really matter.

Modern ones are pretty capable, especially in 22 for smaller game.

Top Bottom