• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lucas Mccain

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Trophy Club Texas
    I have 5 ruger MKIs and love them. Once you learn to take them apart and put back together it's very easy. My Grandpa gave me my first Ruger MKI that he bought new in '68. I fell in love. It is a target tapered 6" bull barrell with the target sights. I have since picked up the same gun but full bull barrell and with the wooden target grips. The others are various others in MKI. You can pick them up at the pawn shop for $200-$300 all day long in excellent condition. Youjust have to look.

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    Well, now you dd it. I got into this discussion and went out and bought a new 22 pistol. Only thing is I bought an M&P Co mpact to go with my five oyhrr M&P pistols and it is a honey. I put the first 50 rounds of CCI HP through it with in an hour of purchase. I am so pleased with it. It feels great, shoots. Great and never. One hickup. Maybe you should look at one. It was too easy to keep a coke can jumping so, I started doing it with an empty 12 ga hull. What a blast.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I currently sport a Buck Mark and it's great, especially topped with a Ultra Dot. I've had a Ruger and it also was a pretty good gun and is only gone because I wanted the cash for something else. When I hear all of the "Rugers are hard to disassemble" BS... well I just wonder because at first I had issues, but I learned how to do it and it wasn't a big issue. A bit more complicated than some, but a .22 pistol only needs such disassembly after many many rounds. So is it the gun or the gunner?

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    In the over 60 years I have been shooting, I have owned a lot of guns but a few stand out and to be honest I still own the first gun I paid for wih money I earned at age 11. My remington 700 30-06 is still going after 50 years as is my 1100. I own and have owned others but those stick with me jut like yhe M&Ps now. Why? Simple, they work well for me every day.

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    I chose the Ruger.

The Buck Mark is O.K., and some might suggest that stock on stock it might be a little more accurate than the Ruger.

But that comparison fades when you start putting parts on.

Here's my favorite .22 pistol.

It has a Val Quartsen trigger with adjustable over and under travel, and a VQ sear that alters the geometry a little to produce a very light, crisp trigger.

The silly Loaded Chamber Indicator has been removed, and a beautiful plug is in that huge hole it left. The magazine safety is deleted, so take down and assembly is easier. It spits empty mags out like a real pistol is supposed to now.

It Has a Burris FastFire 3 sight on a low mount Burris base.

Not shown are the magazine base bumpers that make putting the mags in a lot quicker and easier.

After those mods, It shoots so good that it makes me look like I know what I'm doing, and I'm pretty sure you can't make a buck mark shoot like this one does.

Yeah, the buck mark is a good pistol... But a modified Ruger is a GREAT pistol and this one is gonna stay in my safe for sure.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How much you got invested in that "modified Ruger"? Not really apples to apples there. Like comparing a stock Camaro to a souped up Charger with nitrous and a super charger. Or saying a regular hunting rifle is more accurate than another, just gotta have it re barreled, replace the stock, and replace the receiver with custom target receiver. You are no longer comparing what you started with.

Anyways. I prefer the Buckmark because the Ruger feels to small in my hand. The grip is too thin, even with thicker grips you can put on some they feel thin to me. So I got a Buck Mark Hunter and love it.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Never had an issue with the spring.

If anything, the biggest issue with the Buck Mark is the Allen wrench needed to pull it apart, but after doing so a few times I stopped because you can clean just about everything with it fully assembled. Take down is generally unnecessary unless you want to get down in the frame.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    How much you got invested in that "modified Ruger"? Not really apples to apples there. Like comparing a stock Camaro to a souped up Charger with nitrous and a super charger...

Yes, the modified Ruger costs more... Of course it does. The good stuff always costs more.

As far as comparing the two, That was my point.

The reason for buying the Ruger over the buckmark is precisely that the Ruger is capable of being "Built" into something far better than the buckmark can ever be. That's why the Ruger is more common in competition.

AKmik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2015
    IMG_1495.jpg

I hear those Buckmarks are nice, but have never tried one.
    If all steel or SS is what you want a MKII , if lighter and 1911 grip angle/controls MKII/III 22/45. As said earlier, you can get anything for the Rugers.

Those are two MKII Govt Target models, and a MkIII 22/45 w Tacsol upper.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Once you learn to take them apart and put back together it's very easy.

When I hear all of the "Rugers are hard to disassemble" BS... well I just wonder...

... the Ruger is more common in competition.

Insightful comments quoted for truth.

I have multiple Rugers, from the Standard up through the Mk2, so it's clear which side of the question I come down on. I will, however, add one more thing.

The way the gun feels in your hand is incredibly important. I've found that when choosing between two pistols where the pros and cons mostly balance out, the choice is usually simple. Pick them both up and ask yourself which feels better. If possible, borrow and shoot both. I'd bet dollars to donuts that one will simply feel more right to you, even if it's for reasons you can't articulate, than the other. That's the one to buy.

However, if you've held and/or shot both and it's still a toss-up, go with the Ruger. It's more durable, as accurate, and has such huge aftermarket parts support that you can eventually build it into anything you can dream up.

Just my $0.02.

Top Bottom