• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Wade

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2015
    I love the Ruger, the 22/45, and the "LITE" I have had a couple and will acquire another eventually. I will not say anything bad about the Buck Mark as I like them also. It really depends on how much you want to Darth Vader you pistol.
    Target Sports

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    How is that RD on the BM working out for you?

I like it. I prefer a more open view but it's just what I got used to with EoTech.

No issues with it mounted on the pistol. Like any RDS, you have to get enough muscle memory that you can see the dot when you bring up the pistol or you will be hunting for it. I haven't been shooting much lately so my fist shot would probably be a little bit slower than if I were using irons.

I had a bushnell prior to the PA but it was too cheap and didn't hold zero. Preferred the reflex style though.

Sent from my HAL 9000

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    Not enough Buck Mark pics in this thread.

Here, I'll help with that ...

27xp4sk.jpg

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I don't get the Ruger take down hate.
    Once you've done it a few times it ain't so difficult.

OP, my vote goes to Ruger. Mucho more aftermarket goodies.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I prefer the Ruger MK II. I own several of them. Also have 3 MK III 22/45 pistols.

I was looking for a MK II with the 10" bull barrel for a while. Managed to find both Buck Mark models with the 10" barrel before I found my Ruger. Finally manged to get the Ruger. I now have three .22 pistols with 10" bull barrels. Currently one of the Buck Mark pistols has a TacSol threaded upper on it.

I own both and really prefer the Rugers.

Fast Frank

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Houston (Woodlands)
    looks a lot like my Hi Standard supermatic. The one I lost in the boating accident

I noticed a similarity too, so I looked into that a little bit. First, I checked out Wikipedia (For whatever THAT'S worth), and then I went to gun parts and looked at schematics.

Wiki says that the Colt Woodsman is a John Browning design, and credits the High standard company with designing their pistol. The Browning Buck mark is credited to the Browning company.

Further, by looking at the exploded diagrams, I can tell you that the pistols have a similar shape, but all three are absolutely different in how they are made and how they work.

The wiki articles point out that the High Standard and the Colt are steel, and the Browning is primarily aluminum.

So, there isn't any way to say one is a copy of any of the others. Similar, but different enough to not be a copy.

You guys might have known all that, but I didn't.:)

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I appreciate everyone's input on this. I've learned a few things. May still get a Ruger down the road. My uncle had one, and it was my first pistol to shoot.

Haven't had time to shoot the BM yet, but I love the way it feels in my hand. Has a rubberized grip much like a Pachmyer grip. It's very comfortable.

It was super tight, so I lubed it up properly, and it's ready for action.

Maybe this week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

epwrangler

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 2, 2011
    El Paso, Texass
    Thought this might be of interest to anyone thinking of buying an M&P 22 Compact. It has a threaded barrel but needs an adapter. The thread protector on the gun has to be removed first but there is no wrench with the gun. After a bit of careful consideration I went to Home Depot and bought an 11mm wrench. I took it home and ground down the open end flats until it was thin enough to fit. Vola!

Sent from my SM-G925T using Tapatalk

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    I say Buck Mark because the Ruger is a pain in the anus to take apart and put back together. You need a mallet and punch and a dental pick and a block of wood to bash it apart and then reach inside and move stuff around into the right position to make it go back together.

If I could find a Buck Mark with a threaded barrel I'd shoot my Ruger until it got all gunked up and stopped working and throw it away and replace with the Browning.

There is an antidote. There is an aftermarket piece you can get to replace the restraining pin or whatever its involved. You use an allen wrench, and the whole bolt comes out.

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    How much you got invested in that "modified Ruger"? Not really apples to apples there. Like comparing a stock Camaro to a souped up Charger with nitrous and a super charger. Or saying a regular hunting rifle is more accurate than another, just gotta have it re barreled, replace the stock, and replace the receiver with custom target receiver. You are no longer comparing what you started with.

Anyways. I prefer the Buckmark because the Ruger feels to small in my hand. The grip is too thin, even with thicker grips you can put on some they feel thin to me. So I got a Buck Mark Hunter and love it.

Sent from my HAL 9000

A fair point. I have several of both. the best way to tell which you prefer is not what people say, but its how that pistol feels. Both have slightly different angles and people generally instantly prefer one or the other. Being both are pretty even that can be the determiner for many people.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    There is an antidote. There is an aftermarket piece you can get to replace the restraining pin or whatever its involved. You use an allen wrench, and the whole bolt comes out.

And, though I just like the feel of the Buck Mark, some do have that easy to lose nylon/plastic buffer that needs to be replaced on occasion.

scout789

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    lake jackson, tx
    I went round and round and back and forth on this same decision for way too long. I bought the Buck Mark and have no regrets whatever. I love, love, love shooting it. I suspect that had I bought the Ruger, I would feel the same way. Therefore, my advice is not to waste good shooting time jonesing over the choice. Jump in the water and get to the range pronto.

Lipps

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2015
    Central Texas
    I have two Buckmarks (Camper, and a Target) and two Ruger MkII's (stainless standard and stainless bbl)

The Rugers are absolutely bulletproof. Rugers are like country girls. Good solid shooters I love to shoot. You can even neglect them a little and they will keep going. Feed them anything all day long. Uncomplicated, durable -she won't leave you when the going gets tough.

The Buckmarks are like a city girl. They look soo good and heads will turn. Nice and accurate shooters. But they are much more delicate and finicky. They don't like some ammo. Certain parts wear out much too fast for my taste. Beautiful, high maintenance -she'll leave you if you don't buy her pretty things.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I agree with everything said about the Ruger, but haven't experienced the negatives mentioned on the Buck Mark.

I did have trouble with Winchester bulk, but had the same issue with the Mk3 Ruger I sold to get the Buck Mark.

I only use Winchester bulk in bolt guns and the Model 60 now.

Sent from my HAL 9000

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gillikenobi
    Top Bottom