• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The thing I take issue with is the larger societal issue that people have forgotten how to be fierce and fend for themselves when confronted by a serious threat. Most just want to call the police and let us handle it. If people weren't this way I believe we'd see much fewer active shooters and much less crime. Instead, we will continue to see crime rise until the majority in society learn to not get trampled on by those who would prey upon them.

We agree on that issue....a large part of it has been fostered by the various government agencies that tell you "the gubmint will take care of it." If my neighbor is disturbing me with noise, I'll go pay a visit and discuss it with them civilly. If someone is being assaulted, I will intervene if I can - at gunpoint if necessary (I have in the past, and would do so again if needed). The key is to KNOW what is going on, separate the sides, and let the cops sort it out once they're there. There are folks on this board that'll tell you I can be proactive if needed - the key again is knowing what to do and doing in a way that minimizes risk to everyone involved.

Where I take issue is a blanket statement - because blankets can smother the good and the bad. While you and most of us have thought processes that have definitive risk assessment guidelines, some out there don't - and as a result, can be as big a danger to the situation as the perp is. That is where I was going with my questions - go back and read your initial post as a 3rd party, and I think you'll concur that it could easily be misconstrued. People have to KNOW what they're doing before they take action that could have fatal consequences - otherwise, they could well end up facing charges themselves. I have NO problem with drawing down on someone - but I need to know that I'm drawing down on a bad guy - not an UO that's trying to subdue a perp.
    Capitol Armory ad

mike75925

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Alto, Tejas
    well, i had posted concerning this, or so i thought. i grew up in houston. very few people i knew, had guns. i would say, most city dwellers are conditioned to let the leos handle it. if you carry without a state government license, you could go to jail even if you stopped a crime. if a leo does a 'bad shoot' or shoots a bystander, they get released from the department. if a civi's bullet ricochets and kills someone they go to prison. at least, i've never heard of a leo going to prison for inaccurately assessing the situation. i think the 'mob' decided, that since the public at large were not allowed to carry, that those that do, should be our protectors. a case of getting your cake and eating too. though it seems, if this is/was the case, not enough leos were aggravated enough to say something about it to the higher ups or government. so the general public sat back and allowed the government to get a black eye, waiting for the return of their rights. same thing you would do with a prodigal son, or a bad servant. let them dig their own graves, as it were.

one mr. horn, a few years ago in houston, called 911 to report the burglary of his neighbor's house. the operator, nearly commanded him not to go and pursue the burglars. he went on to tell the op., that when he had his shotgun loaded he was out the door. he commanded them to stop (the burglars), they didn't, he opened fire. he killed both men, and was no billed. i want to say he shot both in the back, but on that i am unaware.

i noticed, like many, that the texas constitution gives the legislature the power to regulate the wearing of arms. what did they do instead? they required licensing. that licensing, has the regulation for wearing the arm. licensing of a right is illegal. to prevent the most amount of crime, the arms need to be seen. concealed carry is not the way. historically, criminals concealed their arms, with exception of those brazen enough to open carry.

i do have to take issue with the law saying felons may not own or carry weapons. some felons, are felons because of bs laws and other measures.

in my various years of attending school, fighting was highly discouraged. even if you defended yourself from blows, as i did, they would still try to give you the same punishment as if you had thrown blows.

AresV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    Rockwall
    We agree on that issue....a large part of it has been fostered by the various government agencies that tell you "the gubmint will take care of it." If my neighbor is disturbing me with noise, I'll go pay a visit and discuss it with them civilly. If someone is being assaulted, I will intervene if I can - at gunpoint if necessary (I have in the past, and would do so again if needed). The key is to KNOW what is going on, separate the sides, and let the cops sort it out once they're there. There are folks on this board that'll tell you I can be proactive if needed - the key again is knowing what to do and doing in a way that minimizes risk to everyone involved.

Well put.

Where I take issue is a blanket statement - because blankets can smother the good and the bad. While you and most of us have thought processes that have definitive risk assessment guidelines, some out there don't - and as a result, can be as big a danger to the situation as the perp is. That is where I was going with my questions - go back and read your initial post as a 3rd party, and I think you'll concur that it could easily be misconstrued. People have to KNOW what they're doing before they take action that could have fatal consequences - otherwise, they could well end up facing charges themselves. I have NO problem with drawing down on someone - but I need to know that I'm drawing down on a bad guy - not an UO that's trying to subdue a perp.

I did not intend for it to seem so vague. I often forget that when people who don't know you read things you write it can be taken out of context. I've even updated my sig line to reflect that;)

I forget that not everyone on this forum will train regularly and do things with their firearms other than carry them around like a totem and occasionally go and poke holes in paper with them from a very static shooting position.

And I agree - you can't act without trying to first assess the situation lest you fail to neutralize the BG and possibly harm someone good.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Bueno - we ARE on the same page! On some forums, I'd not have thought twice about your comments, but what we have to remember w/this site (and most others) is that folks from all walks of life read 'em - and unfortunately, what we write can be misunderstood - or twisted for their own goals.

"My posts are my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not a lawyer - if you want legal advice, consult one. If you want an opinion, ask me. If you want to argue with my opinion, get in line behind my wife!"

Fixed! View attachment 4397

AresV

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2010
    Rockwall
    Bueno - we ARE on the same page! On some forums, I'd not have thought twice about your comments, but what we have to remember w/this site (and most others) is that folks from all walks of life read 'em - and unfortunately, what we write can be misunderstood - or twisted for their own goals.

Excellent point. And I should've thought about that before making that post.

"My posts are my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less. I am not a lawyer - if you want legal advice, consult one. If you want an opinion, ask me. If you want to argue with my opinion, get in line behind my wife!"

Fixed! View attachment 4397

That is quite true, lol!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    My advantage is I've been around this one a bit longer. Most know how to take comments in context - others wanna twist 'em around - and folks like MajorMax2 wanna have strange sex with anything moving....

Silverbullet830

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Huntsville
    Dcav, you like most, appear to exercise common sense. there are those out there tha want to challenge authority figures every oppotunity they get. There are even some who wnat to tell cops/judges/investigators that they know their rights. The problem lies in that usually they have no idea what their rights are...or better yet, are not.

I know this is quoted from about half way in the thread, but I'm still reading it all and getting caught up. Just wanted to say how true this statement is. I am a correctional officer for the state, and you wouldn't believe how many arguements I've had with these thieves about their "rights". Every offender gets several handbooks when they come in the system, and many are quick to bring up that they "read it in the offender handbook" when they're arguing with us about something. Really, really pisses me off. I know the rules. My job depends on me doing things by policy. But then again its that type of ignorance (or stupidity) that got them here, so I've come to expect it.

Slotback

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Just got off the phone with my attorney, who btw was instrumental with the "no penalty" phase in regard to failure to show CHL, who stated OC will be pushed very hard and early during the upcoming legislative session.

The OC issue will be restricted to those meeting qualifications to CC...thank God.

The issue of "employer parking lot" will also be pushed once again.

Rick Perry is strongly backing both initiatives!!

Very interesting.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    I think the question might be proposed, more appropriately, "Are you willing to die fighting for your freedom?" The killing comes into play when you're trying to keep from dying.

This is tangential to the original discussion, however. I always wonder if these are the discussions that cause bells and whistles to go off at the NSA.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Problem I see with license to OC (or OC on current TX CHL) is that this would give Police RAS to stop and check the creds of every person OCing. That would create lots of work for LE and be a hindrance to citizens. OC should not require a license.

I really hope this goes to a vote this time.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Problem I see with license to OC (or OC on current TX CHL) is that this would give Police RAS to stop and check the creds of every person OCing. That would create lots of work for LE and be a hindrance to citizens. OC should not require a license.

You also have to have a license to drive but the police dont stop everyone to see if they have a driver's license....dont see that as an issue. I like the "phased in" idea posted somewhere else on here.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    You also have to have a license to drive but the police dont stop everyone to see if they have a driver's license....dont see that as an issue. I like the "phased in" idea posted somewhere else on here.

I still like the idea of open carry for anyone and everyone that can legaly have a firearm. But what do I know, I'm just a low-life scumbag who is anti-cop.

Top Bottom