Capitol Armory ad

Is flashing the highbeams to warn other driver Illegal in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Almost everyone has a bad moment every now and then. Maybe the offended officer just had an egrecious experience with someone that had less than polite conversational skills.

No, I was a sales manager for verizon's largest indirect company after being the number one sales man in the country at a few different months.. I know how to talk professionally with a person and carry on a conversation. And I wasn't dressed crazy or anything, I was in a button up shirt and tie. I have family members and friends who are police officers and respect they work they do and give them my respect when I talk to them. I'm polite, I don't argue, I apologize, I use Yes sirs and no ma'ams and I follow directions they give me.

We had a completely normal and fine conversation up until the point he was walking away and I said "alright buddy, thanks". That was the first time he got upset, he didn't appreciate the way I addressed him. He walked all the way back to let me know, he was like Pointing at his badge and basically given me the impression that he earned the title or something.

I figured he found it offensive as if I called him "Dude" or something.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    I could care less....I don't even introduce myself as Officer.....my uniform makes that clear. I introduce my self the same way since day one, but use my first and last name. I don't get worked up if people call me Dawg, bro, homie, boss, Hooda, 5-0, etc...

Thats cool, as long as it is used in the right way, it shouldn't be considered offense.

There is a difference between...

Guy: "What the **** homie, I didn't do shit"
    Officer: "I'm not your homie"

and

Guy: "Aight homie, thanks for the warning"
    Officer: "No problem, get home safe"

...but since that one guy, I try to make it a purpose to address them as officer. That wen't weirdly sour on me that day.

ChunkyMonkey

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Thats cool, as long as it is used in the right way, it shouldn't be considered offense.

There is a difference between...

Guy: "What the **** homie, I didn't do shit"
    Officer: "I'm not your homie"

and

Guy: "Aight homie, thanks for the warning"
    Officer: "No problem, get home safe"

...but since that one guy, I try to make it a purpose to address them as officer. That wen't weirdly sour on me that day.

Letting what people say to you get under your skin leads to two things.....law suits and unemployment....lol

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    No, I was a sales manager for verizon's largest indirect company after being the number one sales man in the country at a few different months.. I know how to talk professionally with a person and carry on a conversation. And I wasn't dressed crazy or anything, I was in a button up shirt and tie. I have family members and friends who are police officers and respect they work they do and give them my respect when I talk to them. I'm polite, I don't argue, I apologize, I use Yes sirs and no ma'ams and I follow directions they give me.

We had a completely normal and fine conversation up until the point he was walking away and I said "alright buddy, thanks". That was the first time he got upset, he didn't appreciate the way I addressed him. He walked all the way back to let me know, he was like Pointing at his badge and basically given me the impression that he earned the title or something.

I figured he found it offensive as if I called him "Dude" or something.

I wasn't talking about you, I was making reference to possibly the person he stopped just before he stopped you having the shitty conversational skills. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    I wasn't talking about you, I was making reference to possibly the person he stopped just before he stopped you having the shitty conversational skills. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Ahh, I apologize. I took the "devil icon" smiling at me as a tongue and cheek way of you saying that I was probably being a dick head without knowing it.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Letting what people say to you get under your skin leads to two things.....law suits and unemployment....lol

Hahaha, I hear you. Has being a police officer made you any more cynical? You're in a pretty big city. I know you have to deal with a lot bad shit on a day to day basis, hearing lie after lie, never knowing when someone is going to do something stupid. Does it make you walk up to every one with a more cynical outlook?

Edit: Sorry OP, just realized I'm kind of hijacking the thread...it kind of derailed awhile ago and I find this interesting. I'll create a thread if need be.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Sales associates, managers, etc., as you well know, can absolutely NOT be thin skinned when dealing with the public............as in, you make a sales call and get told to "**** off!" can not be held against the next person you talk to. And in my opinion regarding law enforcement, it takes an extremely diplomatic individual to deal correctly with the normal average citizen and the scumbags every night, over and over again. Tough job.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Sales associates, managers, etc., as you well know, can absolutely NOT be thin skinned when dealing with the public............as in, you make a sales call and get told to "**** off!" can not be held against the next person you talk to. And in my opinion regarding law enforcement, it takes an extremely diplomatic individual to deal correctly with the normal average citizen and the scumbags every night, over and over again. Tough job.

Yeah, I agree. Thats why I was asking him. I can only imagine the one time you walk up to a speeder expecting him to be a normal stop, he is being polite and then BAM, he pulls out a gun and almost shoots you. How hard would it be to walk up to vehicles after that and treat a guy normal. Thats why I get annoyed when people get annoyed with cops who are being cautious. I've had friends in the driver seat get annoyed if an officer told him to keep his hands on the wheel.

I'm like, yeah...he's probably been shot at and doesn't want it happening again. You'd probably act the same way. Thats why I always try to be very conscious of how I move and where my hands are and I ask for permission to grab things in their presence.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I wish normal civilians treated ACTIVE dudy the same way. More in my opinion. I think a lot do but a lot do not also.

What are you talking about?

I have never seen police officers, firemen, etc. get a round of applause on an airplane (even if they are wearing organizational shirts, which I have seen several times). Most times there's someone in a military uniform, it is noted and public recognition is given.

I honestly believe it's the opposite, that law enforcement officers and other public servants aren't shown the same respect that seems to be automatically given to the military.

I am very involved in law enforcement programs at both the Federal and local level, and I have great admiration for the men and women of those agencies and the outstanding work they do!

In the military, you fight an enemy in a foreign land; for those in law enforcement, it's in their own back yard. That wouldbe more difficult to me.

And just to be clear, I am retired military and spent nearly 25 years wearing the uniform...

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Yeah, I agree. Thats why I was asking him. I can only imagine the one time you walk up to a speeder expecting him to be a normal stop, he is being polite and then BAM, he pulls out a gun and almost shoots you. How hard would it be to walk up to vehicles after that and treat a guy normal. Thats why I get annoyed when people get annoyed with cops who are being cautious. I've had friends in the driver seat get annoyed if an officer told him to keep his hands on the wheel.

I'm like, yeah...he's probably been shot at and doesn't want it happening again. You'd probably act the same way. Thats why I always try to be very conscious of how I move and where my hands are and I ask for permission to grab things in their presence.

Agreed, watch this and see how a relatively normal traffic stop turns to shit in a matter of seconds.

The rest of the story...

A coroners jury ruled that Hamilton, Montana Police Officer Ross Jessop was justified in killing a man during a late night traffic stop. It took a six woman jury an hour to rule that Officer Ross justifiably shot and killed Raymond Thane Davis after Davis shot at him. The five hours of testimony included this chilling video recording of the shooting made by the police car dash camera.

Davis first tried shooting Officer Jessop in the face from a few inches away. The click of Davis's revolvers hammer hitting a previously fired round was audible on the tape. Davis then shot again as Officer Jessop retreated and drew his own weapon.

It just shows how fast things can go to crap. If you listen close, the first time the suspect pulled the trigger it went click.

They found out later that the hammer fell on a spent case in the revolver. The outcome would have been much different if there had been a live round in the cylinder. The driver of the vehicle (suspect) died of his wounds after being hit, then driving into a telephone pole after he sped away.

Never let your guard down.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    Agreed, watch this and see how a relatively normal traffic stop turns to shit in a matter of seconds.

The rest of the story...

EXACTLY one of the videos that was in my mind when I wrote that. I bet he walks up to every single car now with increased heart rate and his hand ready on his pistol. I bet a lot protocols that civilians might find annoying or unnecessary, make a whoooole lot of sense to him now and I bet he follows them.

Tough job man, I got nothing but respect for those guys.

Top Bottom