Capitol Armory ad

Is flashing the highbeams to warn other driver Illegal in Texas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    EXACTLY one of the videos that was in my mind when I wrote that. I bet he walks up to every single car now with increased heart rate and his hand ready on his pistol. I bet a lot protocols that civilians might find annoying or unnecessary, make a whoooole lot of sense to him now and I bet he follows them.

Tough job man, I got nothing but respect for those guys.

I could not be a cop ... I'd be shooting people before the end of my first shift. It's amazing what those guys and gals put up with out there, but I guess the wins make it worth putting on the uniform in the morning.
    Gun Zone Deals

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    I honestly don't LOOK for those, my eye just catches it.

My cousin corrects me on text AND gmail chat every time I do something like say "your" instead of "you're"...it used to drive me crazy. I'm like "we are fucking TEXTING, shut the **** up" lol Kind of good though because I now catch myself most of the time because of him lol.

98f150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    It looks like to me that the average cops has a attitude with civilians is that everyone is a criminal and act like everyone is out to harm them. Talk about painting with a broad brush the cops do that with the public. I am 50 years old never been in trouble with law except speeding tickets. On my last stop the cop walks up with his hand on his weapon . A second officer was on my right side of the truck and a third was in the back ground. This was Sunset Valley next to Austin and these cops are way overboard on traffic stops. I see it all the time with them when Im driving thru Sunset valley.

coboblack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Houston
    It looks like to me that the average cops has a attitude with civilians is that everyone is a criminal and act like everyone is out to harm them. Talk about painting with a broad brush the cops do that with the public. I am 50 years old never been in trouble with law except speeding tickets. On my last stop the cop walks up with his hand on his weapon . A second officer was on my right side of the truck and a third was in the back ground. This was Sunset Valley next to Austin and these cops are way overboard on traffic stops. I see it all the time with them when Im driving thru Sunset valley.

Yeah, it seems overboard until the guys speeding turn out to be two armed guys with a key of coke in the trunk. How do you think they should approach that car? I don't mind them being cautious, as long as they aren't being douchey when they communicate. They have no idea who I am and they have a right to stay safe.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Really, please provide evidence to support both claims.

Just one study:

Effects Of Raising And Lowering Speed limits

• Accidents at the 58 experimental sites where speed limits were lowered increased by 5.4 percent. The level of confidence of this estimate is 44 percent. The 95 percent confidence limits for this estimate ranges from a reduction in accidents of 11 percent to an increase of 26 percent.
    • Accidents at the 41 experimental sites where speed limits were raised decreased by 6.7 percent. The level of confidence of this estimate in 59 percent. The 95 percent confidence limits for this estimate ranges from a reduction in accidents of 21 percent to an increase of 10 percent.

For the first claim, you can get it straight from the horse's mouth.

Toll road 85, free road 50? - Houston Chronicle

One of the things I remembered first was that the state is going to/has put a higher limit on the toll road that parallels part of 35 to Austin because their contract with the road's operator demands it. The alternative was lowering the limit on 35, which if you've ever driven it you'll know is already artificially low because if you ain't doing 80, you're going to get run over.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    There were other factors considered as to why there was a decrease in fatalities after the speed limit was nominally raised...

Why did the higher speed limit on rural interstate highways result in lower fatality rates? Dr. Lave's study suggests the following events may have taken place:

• Drivers may have switched to use the higher speed roads which are safer and better designed
    • Highway patrols may have shifted resources to activities with more safety pay-off, and
    • The speed variance among cars declined - it might decline on the interstates as law-abiding drivers caught up with the speeders, and it might have declined on other highways as their speeders switched to the interstates.

Other contributors could be advances in vehicle safety; the fact that even with an increase in the posted speed limit, the actual average speed on many roads did not change considerably (For example, an 18-month study following an increase in the speed limit along the New York Thruway from 55 to 65 mph, determined that the average speed of traffic, 68 mph, remained the same. Even a national study conducted by Federal Highway Administration also concluded that raising or lowering the speed limit had practically no effect on actual travel speeds).

The facts can be argued either way, but having lived in countries with much higher speed limits (Belgium, Germany) I do know that traffic can move safely at higher speeds. The problem is not the speed, it's the drivers; and people in this state (and city) constantly show they are unable to safely drive at any speed! Just look at the number of people texting, talking on the phone, eating, putting on make-up on our roads and you know that allowing these idiots to drive even faster is going to have detrimental effects.

So, to sum, I'm all for raising the speed limits as long as there is an equal increase in the difficulty in obtaining a driver's license as well as greater penalties for those who are caught still exceeding them. Apply those two factors as well and I believe we could live with higher speed limits.

Top Bottom